Mame Wish List

thegrimreaper

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
As some of you may be aware I'm going travelling soon. A grand trip around the world without any specific return date, which I expect will take over 12 months to complete (If anyone's interested, the journey will probably cover South & Central America, possibly some parts of the USA, New Zealand, Australia and finishing off with a few countries in South East Asia).
One of my main reasons for doing all the work I've done on Mame was to get the emulator(s) working in a way I was happy with, something that could give me a year's enjoyment whilst I'm away.

I've now finished implementing High Score support into Mame and sent the source code on to Franxis for him to add to the next version. This is to give me something to aim for when I load up a game, a challenge to come back to and see if I can do better.

Basically I think I've done nearly all the work I set out to do when I first got my hands on the source code. Amongst other things, saving the configuration settings so you don't have to keep altering them, getting Star Wars to work (my all time favourite arcade game) and recently the single menu launcher program to make it much more user friendly.

What I'm asking everyone for now is any other good ideas that could be added to Mame that could make it even better than it is now. If I think "that'd be cool" or "I'd find that really useful whilst I'm away" then I might well have a go at implementing them. Time is getting very short for me now though, as I expect to start travelling within a month, so please don't suggest anything too massive as I'm not going to have long to do it (my better half is already complaining about the amount of time I'm spending coding that could be better used to pack boxes). AND RIGHTLY SO, MAY I ADD!!! :angry: Signed: The better half :p

So, suggest away and even if I don't implement the idea maybe some other coder could start to help Franxis. There's an easy start guide available here...
Easy Start Guide To Building Mame
And now the source is supplied with Visual Studio 2003 solution files to make compiling even easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ability to change the keys, if that is not possible change the arrangement of keys in 'Bank Panic' and 'Gunsmoke'

Add Tapper please !!!

Thanks in advance.

Something that may be usefull is an option to delete games within Mame GP32. I like to throw alot of roms onto my SMC but occasionaly find that some don't work or the gameplay in some games is just too slow. When this occurs, I have to pull my SMC out and insert into my card reader to re-organize. Having the option to delete within Mame GP32 would make organizing roms alot easier (for me anyway).

Another nice feature would be to re-design the GUI similar to that of Mame (i.e white text, black background). Adding an input section to re-configure the buttons would be so cool.

:)

tix posted on Aug 16 2005 at 11:11 PM said:
The ability to change the keys, if that is not possible change the arrangement of keys in 'Bank Panic' and 'Gunsmoke'

Add Tapper please !!!

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the idea about user definable keys tix, but if people could add actual bug reports, including control problems, to this thread then I'll be looking at that aswell.
Please Report Mame Gp32 1.5 Bugs !

User definable keys is a good idea, but I doubt I'll do that as it's much easier to tweak the drivers to fix any wierd control problems. As an example... Track & Field and Hypersports will be much more fun in the next version, as you'll be able to use the joystick to get some rapid running speeds.

The new launcher needs more user friendliness, maybe like the rom selection in the new fgb32 version... or just skipping pages with L and R or left and right, as its a pain in the ass to scroll down 500+ games not being able to keep down pressed and having to press down for each single game! :)

or just skipping pages with L and R or left and right
It seems to do that with the shoulder buttons - unless you mean "keep going" as long as that input it pressed.

That would be nice.

First thing, if you make it to San Francisco I owe you and your forgiving wife several margaritas and a tour guide. You've done fantastic work for us all. The high score saving will be one of the best additions to MameGP32 ever!
Second thing, if you want tips on NZ's South Island let me know.

As for what else I'd like in Mame.... The only thing I can think of (beyond user-definable keys which sounds tricky to implement) is the ability to 'move' the screen to draw from the top or bottom, instead of having to play sideways for some games. I can handle not seeing the score, but just seeing a pixel or two of the tip of my ship, while playable, is difficult.

My wish list is....

1- Non cracking sound
2- highscore saving

The rest is secondary :)

EDIT - thinking over this a bit more...

1- Non cracking sound
2- Highscore saving
3- Sound samples (Xevious, Zaxxon, New Rally X etc...)
4- Files to be deleted from the front end OR a "favorites" list (already mentioned)

My wish list:

Improved sound to the quality of version 1.3 or better, which has the least amount of stuttering.

Controls that work correctly in Millipede.

Shift the screen to center in vertical mode for Centipede/Millipede (it cuts off the left side and has large gap on right).

A select wrap in the frontend. So for example if you are at the "a"s and want to get to the "z" you could just hit the "L" shoulder and it would flip to the "z"s and continue up like now. This way you don't have to keep pressing R a bunch of times to get to th lower part of the list. This wrap would work down too. So you keep going down and when you hit the "z"s if you keep pressing the shoulder button the list would eventually wrap to the "a"s again instead of stopping.

General wish list item to benifit all:

A favourites list would be good, like you have on MAME32. By pressing a button when a game is highlighted on the main list, you could add it to your favourites list. This way you could build up a personalised list of games and would not need to scroll through all of them.

Personal Wish List Items:

On a personal and completely selfish note, I would love to see the following games working:

The Empire Strikes Back
Discs of Tron
Tron

Thanks for all your hard work Reaper. Have a good time on your trip..

RatchetMan.

hmmmmm <_<

if u could update to mame 0.81 it would be great :p
:lol:

but hey, very nice work on the emulator, and by way, have a nice trip around the world

if u have the possibilty, try to visit portugal, my home country, very beautiful B)

cheers

The ability to remap buttons would be a welcome addition.

Some of the games use more than 2 buttons, and in most coses map a button to select. But on BLUs this can be a problem if you have to hold down select to do anything serious, since this will cause the light to switch off and on every 3 seconds.

Even now some games use the select button. While so far nothing major, I just don't like using that button to play a game with anyway.

So it would be a welcome addition, but hey, you've got a world trip to worry about instead of making more additions to mame at this point. Just make sure to put them on your 'to do' list for when you come back (and get stuck into the GPx2 version :p ).

Have fun on your trip. And here's to Franxis' next build with high score saving B)

Any chance of changing Robotron's driver so that the firing direction is the last direction that the player moves in? Trying to use R, A, B and select to fire is mad...

i just read the other posts very fast in this thread, but nobody mentioned:

autoframeskip (!)

isn't it possible? or too hard to implement it? because now, there's more or less only one configuration (speed+frameskip) which makes a game playable. autoframskip would do that automtically.

0-bake posted on Aug 17 2005 at 01:42 PM said:
i just read the other posts very fast in this thread, but nobody mentioned:

autoframeskip (!)

isn't it possible? or too hard to implement it? because now, there's more or less only one configuration (speed+frameskip) which makes a game playable. autoframskip would do that automtically.

Franxis implemented that some time ago. All the framespeeds that are marked as "<=" use the frameskip feature.

oops, didn't realize that. just tried it out, but the games i like still don't run fluently...
but i don't complain at all...i never played on arcade machines, because we didn't had those here where i live, so i really don't miss it ;)

You know that Favourites list is a really good idea Ratchetman. Thinking about it I'd rather have that than anything. You could keep the games that play perfectly in the fav's list.
Dunno how possible that is, but on reflection I'd rate that idea as #1.

For us non-lit GP32 owners - gamma & brightness (even contrast if it were possible) options, saved along with the preferences, would be just great.

On Asteroids Deluxe without any adjustment I just can't see whats going on :( On other emus I realise I almost always mess with the brightness settings anyway.

Second - if its not already there - framerate counter. Just for the geeks.

Cheers for such an amazing emulator! Iain

Back