Mame Port News By Franxis

I agree, cozmic. Wait for the emu an then, post your suggestions or whatever you want.

This is where I come across like a total idiot, but what is the difference between the ROMsets for different versions of MAME? I run a fairly recent MAME on my Mac, so will the same ROMsets work with this or will they need to be converted, and if so, how?

®

Shirohagen posted on Mar 2 2005 at 12:48 PM said:
This is where I come across like a total idiot, but what is the difference between the ROMsets for different versions of MAME? I run a fairly recent MAME on my Mac, so will the same ROMsets work with this or will they need to be converted, and if so, how?

®

I think that you can use a utility called clrmame to extract the rom sets from your current mame and ensure that they are compatible with gpmame. I do not know if this tool is available on the mac though.

-----

This emulator is gonna be awesome.. Looking forward to playing arcade frogger and starwars on my gp32..

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see a problem with the front-end loading the required fxe. If you are just wanting to play a random game and you choose a game that requires a different fxe to the one that is running the game you are exiting out of, you have to wait for the fxe to load up and then the game to load up. Might annoy some people who would just prefer to quickly play a game that they know runs on the current fxe.

Recently Franxis said that vector games are not supported by the current beta, but on the compatibility list asteroids and others are included !?!?!?!?!

razzy posted on Mar 2 2005 at 02:58 PM said:
Well Well... looks like I am re-entering the scene at just the right time.

This is what I bought my GP32 for.

All hail the new king of GP32, Franxis :D

Are we forgetting Rlyeh?

It will be "The War of the MAMEs"

Billy Lee posted on Mar 2 2005 at 01:25 PM said:
I can see a problem with the front-end loading the required fxe. If you are just wanting to play a random game and you choose a game that requires a different fxe to the one that is running the game you are exiting out of, you have to wait for the fxe to load up and then the game to load up. Might annoy some people who would just prefer to quickly play a game that they know runs on the current fxe.

I get your point and it could be frustrating at some point in the future but for now i'm excited as hell to be able to play many of these games. After many years with no portable MAME emulation i dont care if theres 1 exe or 50 exe's !

After all this is only a first release so dont expect to be happy with every single thing. The fact there is a MAME emu coming out is just amazing news. I dont think anyone would be annoyed if they have to wait a few seconds or that if they loaded up the wrong fxe file. For now theres a MAME emu and thats the best news.

I'm just thankful we're not that near to April 1st !

GiG posted on Mar 2 2005 at 02:11 PM said:
razzy posted on Mar 2 2005 at 02:58 PM said:
Well Well... looks like I am re-entering the scene at just the right time.

This is what I bought my GP32 for.

All hail the new king of GP32, Franxis :D

Are we forgetting Rlyeh?

It will be "The War of the MAMEs"

No we are not forgetting Rlyeh he is an assett to the GP32 community and has released some of the best emulators yet but I think MAME may be the one to overshadow everything that has gone before.

According to Rlyeh he is holding off on releasing a beta of Fmame because Franxis contacted him and said he'd had some success with a MAME port so he doesent want to piss him off by releasing a beta. Its also worth noting that Franxis's port seems a lot more advanced (more games supported, has sound etc etc...) so for this reason I am looking forward to his release a little bit more.

I think there is room for both ports on GP32 but who knows maybe they will collaborate a bit to produce the ultimate MAME port.

Now that would be a swansong for the GP32...

razzy posted on Mar 2 2005 at 02:44 PM said:
[No we are not forgetting Rlyeh he is an assett to the GP32 community and has released some of the best emulators yet but I think MAME may be the one to overshadow everything that has gone before.

According to Rlyeh he is holding off on releasing a beta of Fmame because Franxis contacted him and said he'd had some success with a MAME port so he doesent want to piss him off by releasing a beta. Its also worth noting that Franxis's port seems a lot more advanced (more games supported, has sound etc etc...) so for this reason I am looking forward to his release a little bit more.

Well hardly any of us (betatesters included) have seen many screenshots of fMAME or other details so its way too early to write off the emulator by Rlyeh.

Yes he did hold off releasing it because of this current emulator by Franxis (which was good of him).

I think the emulator by Rlyeh should be excellent as all his other emulators are and i love the front end to his emulators.

Time will tell, we can only really have this discussion when both have been released. Either way its a great time to be a GP32 user !

Holding off on FMAME was a good idea, look what happened when FDave released GigaDrive and Ryleh released FGen, i think it pissed off FDave and now he's gone from the scene.

I am excited for this Mame release, it's gonna be great, and i hope that either F day turns out to be all of Rylehs emus combined into 1 mutli emu, or a better SNES emu.

People might be missing the obvious though, wouldnt all these MAME version KNOW what games they can accept and only list the ones in the list that they CAN play? I mean front ends for MAME have been doing it forever.

Rlyeh's MAME will likely be a different approach from this one so I dont see any reason they can't co-exist, there'll probably be games one plays better than the other.

Sorry, no frontend for this first version. I will try to add to a future other one...

Also i did compiler options tests yesterday, and have got the best options to compile it now, i think. I think you will be surprised !!! hahaha

Franxis posted on Mar 3 2005 at 06:18 AM said:
Sorry, no frontend for this first version. I will try to add to a future other one...

Also i did compiler options tests yesterday, and have got the best options to compile it now, i think. I think you will be surprised !!! hahaha
You ARE the man of the moment :D

Back