Mame Gp2x 5.1 - Cant Get To Load

ihmedia

Still Fresh
I have just got an f200 and am having problems getting mame working.

I have gp2x 5.1 un rar'd, then in the roms folder a list of ziped roms from a 5.1 downloaded set.

When i run mame i get the loading screen then a blank screen, shouldnt i get a list of games now? any idea whats wrong?

I did manage to get the list appear once and played shinobi, but since then i just get the load screen then a blank screen.

I have tried on 3 sdhc cards and the same problem is on all of them?

i have now tried, pocketsnes, squidgesnes, gp2xspectrum and vice-gp2x and all emulators seem to freeze when i select a game.

videos and mp3s play fine though, could my unit be faulty?

Tonight i have just turned the f200 on and loaded mame and the games list loaded and i played about 5 games fine, i then turned it on and off and loaded the list again fine.

Now i turn off and on and go into mame and it freezes and does not load the game list again.

It seems very tempremental, any ideas anyone?

Are you starting from gmenu2x or GP2X? Turn on logging on gmenu2x and maybe get some debug info.
Overclocking somehow? Mem timings turned on? Either of those could explain erratic behaviour.
Are you using a card reader or the GP2X for USB transfer? If a reader, try the GP2X and see if you have an issue with the SD slot.

Other than that, faulty unit?

If you can play music/movies your machine sounds like it is working fine, what cpu speed are you trying to run the emulators at?

im using the menu that came installed on it.

where do i check for overclocking settings ect, should i install this new menu system as the next step??

i was using a card reader, i have just reloaded one card (formated and re copied mame) from usb cable and first time i ran mame frozen again

i have not changed any settings since i have had the console so everything will be at default, where do i change / check cpu speed ect?

i have noticed after the menu freezes, if i power off for 5 mins then power back on mame menu runs and i run a game, then i go back to mame menu and it usualy freezes, then if i power on off menu freezes again.

However power off for 5 mins i can get into mame again? very strange?

ihmedia said:
i have noticed after the menu freezes, if i power off for 5 mins then power back on mame menu runs and i run a game, then i go back to mame menu and it usualy freezes, then if i power on off menu freezes again.

However power off for 5 mins i can get into mame again? very strange?
Sounds like a typical overheating/taxing issue. But since you are not overclocking I may venture that you have a faulty unit. Weird thing is that you can play movies/music. Unless there is a component that emulators use that is not in use by the default GP2X apps. If you can consistently reproduce the issue with other applications I'd say get this one exchanged.

I don't know how to read the speed except use the built in over/underclock that comes with emus. Are they telling you what setting it's at? It should be at the default 200MHz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back