Mame Gems

GeneralZod posted on Jul 9 2006 at 10:23 AM said:
I find myself unable to stop playing Elevator Action - it's even better than I remember from my youth :)
"Elevator Action", a longtime fav! I sing that theme music constantly! That game gets hard, quick, after the first level. You chould check out "Elevator Action 2", it's a *totally* different experience, more like a James Bond film, but a fun game nonetheless, all the more because we love and remember its origins!

How about "Bagman", now that is one game I can never even finish the first level of! What a hard, deceptively simple-looking game.

And shameless repetition now, do play "Captain Silver", it is a retro riot, I'm loving it, the sword that emits this nuclear shockwave to kill seagulls and green witches, it's hysterical.

Last edited by a moderator:
great Zaxxon style shooter, also on neogeo is Viewpoint, just love the action with some great music. Elavater Action is great too.

Would love to see Dragon Spirit on mame although I know its on PC Engine.

There was a game I played years ago but I can't remember the name of it.

It was a playing field with "energy/food" units in the center that you had to defend.

The "bad guys" would come in from all sides and try to hook up to one of your energy/food units and tow it away.

When you ran out of energy/food units you were dead.

Anybody remember a game like that? It had REALLY BASIC line graphics.

I would love to play that game again, for old times sake...

mlablan1 posted on Jul 9 2006 at 04:09 PM said:
It was a playing field with "energy/food" units in the center that you had to defend.
"Rip Off". Fun game!

Dzz posted on Jul 9 2006 at 06:41 PM said:
mlablan1 posted on Jul 9 2006 at 04:09 PM said:
"Rip Off". Fun game!

THAT'S IT !!!

THANKS!! :D

ok, my favourite games of all time has to be:
all of the monkey island games. i think i like 1 + 2 more than the other two though
anybody agree?

kevcal posted on Jul 10 2006 at 12:35 AM said:
All-time fave? >>BERZERK!<<
On a sidenote - do samples work??
I've been working on sample support for GP32 MAME. Was playing Berzerk last night testing out the samples. Nice! I also updated the driver to 0.35b5 as there were a few improvements. I'll release this new version of GP32 MAME RSN - Franxis will add the sample support to the GP2X version :)

Games are so much nicer with full sample support! The robots speaking in Berzerk is pretty cool. There's also a follow-up game from Stern called "Frenzy" - check that out!

Dzz posted on Jul 10 2006 at 08:41 AM said:
"Rip Off". Fun game!
Bummer this was added in a relatively late version of MAME so will probably never be playable on our handhelds! :(

During testing sample support, I've discovered a few old gems:

Zektor is pretty cool and features some neat speech.
Astroblaster is pretty good too - it's a simple Galaxian style shooter.
Gorf is also nice - has some interesting and varied sequences and heaps of "Amiga" style speech.

slaanesh posted on Jul 10 2006 at 03:00 AM said:
kevcal posted on Jul 10 2006 at 12:35 AM said:
All-time fave? >>BERZERK!<<
On a sidenote - do samples work??
I've been working on sample support for GP32 MAME. Was playing Berzerk last night testing out the samples. Nice! I also updated the driver to 0.35b5 as there were a few improvements. I'll release this new version of GP32 MAME RSN - Franxis will add the sample support to the GP2X version :)

Games are so much nicer with full sample support! The robots speaking in Berzerk is pretty cool. There's also a follow-up game from Stern called "Frenzy" - check that out!
Excellent news - also I think space invaders uses samples as well..?????

Yeah, I have played Frenzy, but find, since I never played it at the time, it doesn't have the same attraction.. B)

On an arcade gaming note - I remember a game where you had a central 'base' and things came in from all sides and you had 4(?) big buttons that you hit as protection..? My memory is _very_ hazy on this game, but remember it was fun. Any ideas from that very iffy description? :blink:

Kev

i get pretty addicted to slap fight (i know, i said it on other forum). older games are long on grafx but who cares, if they are really fun to play. try scramble - also, super zaxxon (this game is fast as hellll, they'd never put out a game like that now!!)

city connection, jr pacman, tutankhamen, time pilot (and time pilot 84 - shoot, shoot, shoot!)
gyruss, gaplus (sequel to galaga, it gets hard - very fun though!)
moon patrol etc, etc, etc.

i love mame!!!

Parkydr posted on Jul 10 2006 at 07:35 AM said:
Robotron
Sinistar
Williams kicks ass, unbelievable playability in games. Try "Bubbles", very addictive, almost like a slow-motion "Robotron"!

kevcal posted on Jul 10 2006 at 04:14 AM said:
On an arcade gaming note - I remember a game where you had a central 'base' and things came in from all sides and you had 4(?) big buttons that you hit as protection..? My memory is _very_ hazy on this game, but remember it was fun. Any ideas from that very iffy description? :blink:
That would be "Space Zap", that's way old-school.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter...mp;game_id=9692

Games with one button for firing in each direction are fun, try "Vanguard" for side-scrolling gameplay with similar button controls. Total 4-way annihilation!

Then graduate to "Robotron" and "Smash TV" ;^)

gamefan999 posted on Jul 10 2006 at 01:47 PM said:
That would be "Space Zap" at that's way old-school.
Excellent! That looks like the game - thanks a lot! :D
As for Robotron - another excellent game - Although gets very frenetic!

And Sinistar used to make me jump when that guy used to roar as he came on the screen! (Well I was young...).

Kev

Mr_Munk posted on Jul 10 2006 at 09:28 PM said:
I love Xybots at which I have just come to realise is a kind of 3d version of Berzerk.

"the human has been neutralised..."
I love Xybots too... it's hard not to!

Another good shooter is Bosconian. I remember playing this one when I was a wee-tacker.
It's funny how the game you played when you were young give you the fondest warm-fuzzy feelings when you play them now!

I'm also a Choplifter fan - the Sega arcade version is really nice.

Exerion is a great shooter. I remember playing this outside my local shopping centre. I wasn't very good with the control back then.

Mr. Do is a gem that I never played at the arcades - or even seen a real machine. It's a discovery I made later on and find that when I'm testing MAME - Mr Do. is often chosen.

And yes, Space Invaders has samples so that you get the groovy doomp-doomp and shooty effects. :)

gamefan999 posted on Jul 10 2006 at 01:47 PM said:
Parkydr posted on Jul 10 2006 at 07:35 AM said:
Robotron
Sinistar
Williams kicks ass, unbelievable playability in games. Try "Bubbles", very addictive, almost like a slow-motion "Robotron"!

kevcal posted on Jul 10 2006 at 04:14 AM said:
That would be "Space Zap", that's way old-school.

Games with one button for firing in each direction are fun, try "Vanguard" for side-scrolling gameplay with similar button controls. Total 4-way annihilation!

'cept all those later Williams games have colour register problems. Not that total carnage was that special, but I am partial to Smash TV and Narc.

Mr_Munk posted on Jul 10 2006 at 06:17 PM said:
'cept all those later Williams games have colour register problems. Not that total carnage was that special, but I am partial to Smash TV and Narc.
"It's the narc, man!" What a great, sick game! Smash TV is heavy, too. All that gore!

Sticking to the topic again, anyone else know of MAME gems - games that may not be as well known but are good anyway? I'm interested in games from the 1980's in particular. And of course, they should be compatible with GP2X or GP32 MAME.

Pooyan is one that hasn't been mentioned on this thread (I don't think).

If you haven't played it, like most 80's games it pretty straight forward. Shoot the balloons to stop the wolves from getting to the top (or bottom) of the screen! Occasionally you get a chance to collect a piece of meat so that when thrown at the right time, you can get a series of wolves to let go of their balloon and fall to their greedy deaths.

You can see the meat has just been thrown in this image:

Pooyan Info

garethp1745 said:
Vendetta awesome game mame is only a few versions away from playing this.
Hmm... was anyone able to run it on some emu?

Back