Mame Emulator And Its Neogeo Capabilities

Shagittarius

Still Fresh
Couple of questions I need help with...Some of my roms that Mamegp2x supports dont load...I understand I might need to comvert their format or something? Where can I get the utility to do this?

2nd question..I was reading that NeoGeo is supported by MAME...are these the NeoGeo rom games or just the NeoGeo CD games? If they are the roms I'm also having a problem with them not loading...Is this related to question 1 or something entirely different?

Thanks for the help.

Well, the one thing I can tell you is that the main reason I wanted MAME on the GP2X was to be able to run Puzzle Bobble, my all-time favorite arcade game. It's a NeoGeo game, and it definitely works.

You do need both the Puzzle Bobble roms and the NeoGeo roms.

Have you converted your romset? If not, you need to use clrmame, create a profile with the dat that comes with mamegp2x and convert your current mame roms, as mamegp2x is based on mame .34, not mame .103 which is the most current.

If you have trouble with that, you could always try the straight neogeo emulator too, which works pretty well but requires overclocking to get good results with sound enabled.

I mailed Franxis about pulstar and waku waku 7 not working in v1.3, he replied 'both games don't work due to lack of RAM... it's normal... '.

I guess the claim on the site that in v1.3 'All Neo·Geo games are running perfectly now' is a little exaggerated ;)

I mailed Franxis about pulstar and waku waku 7 not working in v1.3, he replied 'both games don't work due to lack of RAM... it's normal... '.

I guess the claim on the site that in v1.3 'All Neo·Geo games are running perfectly now' is a little exaggerated ;)

Much as I like using Mamegp2x there is a much better solution to NeoGeo gaming on your GP2X in Gngeo2x.

Go here to read more. http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=24084

You will see later on in the topic that there is even support for the bigger roms buy creating graphics dumps from the roms. This works really well and only a small percentage of games are failing.

Have a look at the wiki page for the latest compatibility. ;)

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GnGeo2x

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a question... for larger games, why doesn't the emulator just memory map the file in, and then let the OS handle which parts are best to cache in RAM?

I got a question... for larger games, why doesn't the emulator just memory map the file in, and then let the OS handle which parts are best to cache in RAM?

Ok I converted my romset and got a lot of NGeo games running but some important ones still dont...Crossed Swords, Super Spy, Ghost Pilots. Has anyone else got these to work.

As for the Neogeo emulator, will it run the games i mentioned above? Does it have a file selector, does it play audio? If the answer to any of these is no then its not the answer for me either.

Additionally after converting my roms there are still a bunch of arcade games that don't run, Contra, Rush'n Attack, Arkanoid, Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong JR., Dig Dug, Marble Madness, Gauntlet, Gauntlet 2, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, Popeye, Mr. Do, and Tower of Drooga.

There are also a few games that play but the resolution doesn't fit on the screen such as, Tapper, Rampage (Important one), Paperboy, and others I cant recall.

Additionally after converting my roms and switching to version 1.3, Bust-A-Move no longer players either. Anyone want to mention if they got any of these working?

Thanks

Ok I converted my romset and got a lot of NGeo games running but some important ones still dont...Crossed Swords, Super Spy, Ghost Pilots. Has anyone else got these to work.

As for the Neogeo emulator, will it run the games i mentioned above? Does it have a file selector, does it play audio? If the answer to any of these is no then its not the answer for me either.

Additionally after converting my roms there are still a bunch of arcade games that don't run, Contra, Rush'n Attack, Arkanoid, Donkey Kong, and Donkey Kong JR., Dig Dug, Marble Madness, Gauntlet, Gauntlet 2, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, Popeye, Mr. Do, and Tower of Drooga.

There are also a few games that play but the resolution doesn't fit on the screen such as, Tapper, Rampage (Important one), Paperboy, and others I cant recall.

Additionally after converting my roms and switching to version 1.3, Bust-A-Move no longer players either. Anyone want to mention if they got any of these working?

Thanks

I went through the same exact issues as you.

First off, about the neogeo emulator, I can't tell you if those games work or not...never tried them. Also concerining the emu, it does not have a file selector, and it does support sound, though you need to overclock the processor to get it to run smoothly with sound enabled. I use it with the selector command line program. It's not very hard to set up, and I could send you my config files for it and if you want.

Second, about getting those games to work in MAME, they don't work because many of the internal roms in the zip itself have been deleted or moved in the mame updates since .34. If you scan your roms again in clrmame, you will notice the program can generate a list of your incomplete sets, which is why those games won't work in mamegp2x. To get those missing files, you will need to download the MAME rollback set which contains the rom files no longer in use by the newer versions of MAME. Google it and you should find a torrent for it. Some of the roms you may need to fill out your incomplete sets also may be found in some of the alternative versions of the game (like world, bootleg, us set 2, etc....). In the case of Puzzle Bobble, I had to download the pure neogeo rom and add that through clrmame to your .34 mame rom set.

Lastly, as far as I know, those games like rampage and paperboy that display too big simply don't work with mamegp2x yet. Maybe at some point screen scaling for them will be supported (I hope).

Thanks

You really want to look at this page. http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/GnGeo2x

You will see that both crossed swords and ghosts pilots are running with sound. I doubt Super Spy has been tried by anybody as there has been no result either negative or positive posted.

Their currently isn't a file selector inbuilt in the emulator and games are run using scripts it really is straight forward to do. If you need the scripts to get you started on crossed swords and ghost pilots you can PM me. :)

Anyone want to mention if they got any of these working?

Thanks

I went through the same exact issues as you.
<snip>
Second, about getting those games to work in MAME, they don't work because many of the internal roms in the zip itself have been deleted or moved in the mame updates since .34. If you scan your roms again in clrmame, you will notice the program can generate a list of your incomplete sets, which is why those games won't work in mamegp2x. To get those missing files, you will need to download the MAME rollback set which contains the rom files no longer in use by the newer versions of MAME.
<snip>

yup. that's it all right. I can confirm I've had Gauntlet I and II running fine once I'm using the correct version of the rom.

Back