Some Neogeo Roms Not Booting In Mame

naples39

Hey, just a quick question about rom compatibility. Some of the neogeo roms I have recompiled with clrmame using the .dat won't load in MAMEgp2x, just leaving a message saying unable to load if I recall correctly.

The current culprits are Overtop, Neo Bomberman, and Neo Driftout. Clrmame says they check out fine, but I still have no luck when trying them. I don't think it's a general neogeo issue, as other games such as baseball stars and puzzle bobble work fine for me.

Are the games I mentioned just not compatible at the moment? Is there something else I have to do for them?

I can run Neo Driftout, my ROMs set has been reported good for MAME 0.34 using AdvanceSCAN. I get the following error message while loading ROMs: "Wrong checksum of ROM". But the game seems to work well (I didn't pass stage 1).

Hey, just a quick question about rom compatibility.  Some of the neogeo roms I have recompiled with clrmame using the .dat won't load in MAMEgp2x, just leaving a message saying unable to load if I recall correctly.

The current culprits are Overtop, Neo Bomberman, and Neo Driftout.  Clrmame says they check out fine, but I still have no luck when trying them.  I don't think it's a general neogeo issue, as other games such as baseball stars and puzzle bobble work fine for me. 

Are the games I mentioned just not compatible at the moment?  Is there something else I have to do for them?

Just tried the Neo Bomberman and Neo Driftout romsets that I use with GnGeo and they ran fine with Mame2x, Bomberman had some sound slight sound issues. Can't try Overtop as I don't have it. Something wrong with your neogeo bios perhaps?

If you haven't already try GnGeo with you NeoGeo roms, give it a go, it runs lots of games really well. I use it for many NeoGeo games, I only use mame2x for Alpha Mission 2, Blu's Journey and Samurai Showdown which for don't run with GnGeo but work with Mame2x. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can run Neo Driftout, my ROMs set has been reported good for MAME 0.34 using AdvanceSCAN. I get the following error message while loading ROMs: "Wrong checksum of ROM". But the game seems to work well (I didn't pass stage 1).

I had the same message running this title and neobomberman, it seems to be the reason for the flaky sound at the start of bomberman and why during stage 3 of neo driftout that the sound goes bad, but fine again in stage 4. :)

If you haven't already try GnGeo with you NeoGeo roms, give it a go, it runs lots of games really well. I use it for many NeoGeo games, I only use mame2x for Alpha Mission 2, Blu's Journey and Samurai Showdown which for don't run with GnGeo but work with Mame2x. :)

Samurai Showdown will work in the next release ;)

That's really good to hear, as I really do prefer Gngeo over mame2x for my NeoGeo fix. Thanks pepone. :D

I prefer anything that can play my beloved Samurai Showdown...
*eye twitches* Ukyou's a good little Samurai aren't you!? Gonna fight off that big nasty Assqueek and send him back to Texas with Dubya...
Pfft, Texas Ninjas, why isn't Chuck Norris in this game anyways?

When your in Texas look behind you... *stumbles off drooling*

How about Samurai Shodown 2?

Neo Bomb, NeoDrift loads up with CRC error with one of the roms. Overtop didn't load for me but gave me an error reading one of the rom so I have a badset. But it looks like it will load if you have the correct romset.

I prefer anything that can play my beloved Samurai Showdown...
*eye twitches* Ukyou's a good little Samurai aren't you!? Gonna fight off that big nasty Assqueek and send him back to Texas with Dubya...
Pfft, Texas Ninjas, why isn't Chuck Norris in this game anyways?

When your in Texas look behind you... *stumbles off drooling*

Best post Ive seen in a while. :D

Okay, so I decided to take the advice and try gngeo. It seems I have set everything up correctly using selector to launch games, but it always crashes back to gp2x main menu. I get the loading bars, but after the 'converting title' bar fills out, that's when it goes back to the main menu.

Any ideas? Maybe a bios issue?

EDIT: nevermind--it was the bios and I have it sorted out now :)

Back