Made In Taiwan

Pleng

I hear that Craig and Co are now investigating assembling Pandoras in Taiwan. I presume that working conditions there are a lot better than China then?

From what I understand cases production stays in China. The're considering moving boards population (currently in Texas) and final assembly (so far in UK). So I'd guess working conditions are not OPT greatest concern at this moment.

I read on pandorapress they were considering moving assembly to Taiwan. Which seems strange because Craig put human rights high on the agenda when it moved to UK in the first place.

DaMummy said:
human rights are for companies that have money
I think the companies that have the most money are the ones that ignore human rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the point "we" are now in this projet, who still care that who will built the pandoris ?
I don't. I want them out in wild as fast as possible.
So I'm pleased to see OPT doing all they can to reach that goal (even if the "made in england" have to get out of the way)

I never cared at all in the first place. What I did care about was Craig being forced to assemble in the UK then claiming he was doing it for the greater good of mankind. The U-Turn is equally as emotive.

I think it would be assembly and board production happening in Taiwan. If CircuitCo can get their act together, they might keep pumping boards out of both locations, if not then it appears everything will happen in Taiwan besides case production. I'm hoping for dual locations for board production for remains of Batch 1 & 2. Not sure if both locations would be necessary after initial and 2nd Batch orders are fulfilled.

ahh, I was under the impression that craigx was after a made in england logo as he think that chinese and so on are only good at wallmart toys (you know those that kill your kids).
I didnt got the impression that was all about cheap labor (else he wouldnt have used a chinese factory at the first place).
if taiwan does a faster job than the US factory we win and Occident will have shown that it cant do a better job than these cheap labor kids

Sure, if CC works reliable from now on, I have no objections that they also produce stuff.

Taiwan is A LOT better than China though. And the company we're talking with is one of the better ones (sure, there are also bad ones).
80% of all laptops are being built in Taiwan, btw.

Hi,

I'd prefer the Pandora to be built by children, their tiny hands do marvels when it comes to electronics ! And if the production is to move to a country where there are no workers' rights and where wages are low, it could even make the Pandora cheaper for us ! It's a win-win situation :)

[/humour]

I guess Craigix will never stop "surprising" me...

@ ED: I hope they are not one of these bastards ! :angry:

From this article:

"Taiwanese manufacturers have one of the worst reputations in the world regarding the treatment of workers. They can be quite vicious," said Charles Kernaghan, executive director of the National Labor Committee, based in New York.
Bye, Magic Sam

EvilDragon said:
Sure, if CC works reliable from now on, I have no objections that they also produce stuff.

Taiwan is A LOT better than China though. And the company we're talking with is one of the better ones (sure, there are also bad ones).
It sounded like the team was happy with the enthusiasm of the Taiwanese company? Are these the same folks making the ICP? I wonder if CC needs contracts like OPT or maybe Pandora is too "bleeding edge" for them.

tumblr_kwa1hss6vg1qaqn6jo1_400.jpg

Usually I keep back with my posts, but I am pretty much sure that the company choosen to assemble the Pandora in Taiwan is not that bad.

There are many people around me who complain they don't get paid what they deserve and I am in Europe. Also lads from all over the world I know, tell me the same. So reducing any company who is doing contract work for someone else to a "bad" company doesn't make sense.

EvilDragon, Craigx and all the rest of the team do have a name, and they could spoil their reputation pretty easy by working with the wrong guys. Also if you know EvilDragon either by reading his posts or knowing him in real... he would NEVER work with ethicaly incorrect people - and it does not matter where on this world they are living.

second exodous said:
DaMummy said:
human rights are for companies that have money
I think the companies that have the most money are the ones that ignore human rights.
You mean companies like Coca-Cola and Nike? I saw a documentary about this kind of stuff.

Maybe one of us who lives in/near Taiwan could take a look at the Taiwanese factory?

Mjlink said:
EvilDragon said:

It sounded like the team was happy with the enthusiasm of the Taiwanese company? Are these the same folks making the ICP? I wonder if CC needs contracts like OPT or maybe Pandora is too "bleeding edge" for them.

They will also produce the iCP, yes. However, a german company will also produce the iCP.
We've learned it's better to have some backup company... yes, it costs a bit more money, but it makes things more reliable.

Last edited:
what kind of sales are you predicting of the pandora and the icp if you plan on having them built in two different places? i never thought thered be such high demand for such items(at least not the pandora)

The pandora may be niche but I think the icp has the potential to be huge. There are already millions of smartphone users, a great deal of which could be interested in this.

Back