Mac Mounting

DeadDestroyer

Still Fresh
So I'm new, and I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse or asking a question in which there is no answer. But is there a way to mount your GP32 on a mac? Keep in mind I'm running OS X Panther.

DeadDestroyer posted on Jul 8 2005 at 08:49 AM said:
So I'm new, and I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse or asking a question in which there is no answer. But is there a way to mount your GP32 on a mac? Keep in mind I'm running OS X Panther.

Hi, first download iGP32 from the Mac area of the downloads section - you can use that to communicate with your gp32. Then, download gpDrive from Apps/Misc in the download section and put it in the GPMM folder on your gp32. You can use gpDrive to make your gp32 a mountable usb drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruntfuggly posted on Jul 8 2005 at 09:58 AM said:
Or you can get a cheap USB SMC reader...

Yeah, that too - which is a whole lot more convenient. Either way, it's up to you

I found with my mac and card reader that you couldn't delete from the card (the file is deleted but the memory isn't freed) I know that it is possible to use the terminal to get around this, but it's a chore. Therefore you really need IGP32 to format your cards every time you re-use them.

My mac wouldn't recognise the GP32 with IGP32 to begin with, so I had to use a PC to format my card, install IDrive, and then with IDrive on the smc my mac could recognise my GP32.

After the device was recognised, my mac could communicate with my GP32 via IGP32, with or without IDrive being on the smc...

:D Hope this helps.

BTW: I use Mac OSX Panther on a G4 IBook.

Mr_Munk posted on Jul 8 2005 at 11:09 AM said:
I found with my mac and card reader that you couldn't delete from the card (the file is deleted but the memory isn't freed) I know that it is possible to use the terminal to get around this, but it's a chore. Therefore you really need IGP32 to format your cards every time you re-use them.

My mac wouldn't recognise the GP32 with IGP32 to begin with, so I had to use a PC to format my card, install IDrive, and then with IDrive on the smc my mac could recognise my GP32.

After the device was recognised, my mac could communicate with my GP32 via IGP32, with or without IDrive being on the smc...

:D Hope this helps.

BTW: I use Mac OSX Panther on a G4 IBook.

That's very strange, I can delete perfectly with my card reader and iGP32 worked first time for me. I'm using Panther on a iMac G4 700 and only recently aquired my GP32. Does the model of GP32 have anything to do with it?

The problem is that the mac will treat the SMC like a volume, so it will create a hidden .Trashes folder which will only get emptied when you empty your main trash when the SMC is connected. A simple way around this (using terminal unfortunately) is to:

cd /Volumes/NO NAME (my card is called that, yours might be called something else)
rm -f -t .Trashes
ls > .Trashes

This creates a file on the card instead of a folder, so Finder can't put deleted stuff into it. You'll get a warning asking if it is OK to delete stuff because you'll lose it permanently...

Gruntfuggly posted on Jul 8 2005 at 12:33 PM said:
The problem is that the mac will treat the SMC like a volume, so it will create a hidden .Trashes folder which will only get emptied when you empty your main trash when the SMC is connected. A simple way around this (using terminal unfortunately) is to:

cd /Volumes/NO NAME          (my card is called that, yours might be called something else)
rm -f -t .Trashes
ls > .Trashes

This creates a file on the card instead of a folder, so Finder can't put deleted stuff into it. You'll get a warning asking if it is OK to delete stuff because you'll lose it permanently...

Yeah, the terminal seems to be the way to go for dealing with this kind of thing. If you use it to copy files it saves mounting up all those .DS_Store files on the card, too.

Back