Release LXDE Installer

Haven't tried this yet, one question in advance: Where/how will I be able to choose between LXDE and XFCE, is there a menu at bootup?

yes.. it will be selectable via Original Pandora GUI Select [there will be 3 different positions: MiniMenu / LXDE / XFCE]

Haven't tried the new version yet, but with the old one, it didn't quit properly when you switched to a different GUI, so I had LXDE and XFCE running at the same time when I switched from LXDE to XFCE.

Is that fixed with the new version?

Nope. But its common thing when switching from LXDE to XFCE, and from XFCE to LXDE. So there's no LXDE fault.. as far im concern LXDE and XFCE are exiting properly, but openbox and xfce window rendering engine just dont quit.. i didnt find any way to pass it, yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Video from LXDE on OpenPandora: https://vimeo.com/42763000

But this package is not alpha or beta because the installer works just fine.

Very unstable, I made some settings changes and it caused the LXDE taskbar to appear when booting into XFCE. I have no recourse but to reflash again. Other issues with the menu categories and taskbar icons. On the upside it is faster as claimed, but faster is pointless if you can't have stability.

If you could provide more info about unstability of LXDE, i can put it on here. I dont have any problems using it on SZ B4 here, so i cant say it is unstable. Its perfectly stable for me.

Take your time and write something about instability of LXDE that you're saying, so everyone could replicate it..

Nope. But its common thing when switching from LXDE to XFCE, and from XFCE to LXDE. So there's no LXDE fault.. as far im concern LXDE and XFCE are exiting properly, but openbox and xfce window rendering engine just dont quit.. i didnt find any way to pass it, yet

Hmm, switching from XFCE to LXDE worked, AFAIK.

You could include a script that would exit LXDE and kill openbox as stop-script.

yeah, i could mix lxde-logout with killall -9 openbox in the script, instead of simple lxde-logout.. that could be good solution

Hmm, switching from XFCE to LXDE worked, AFAIK.

You could include a script that would exit LXDE and kill openbox as stop-script.

ED, Could You check XFCE to LXDE again. Im pretty sure, that it wasnt working. Otherwise i'll need to re-install XFCE, because i removed it from NAND..

yeah, i could mix lxde-logout with killall -9 openbox in the script, instead of simple lxde-logout.. that could be good solution

Just installed it. Worked alright, but said this during install:

Code:
Collected errors:

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannont install package the.

* opkg_install_cmd: Cannont install package following.

As snappy as expected. "System" menu category is missing. And that hack to make the Pandora button open the menu. And for some reason the menu is scrolled all the way down after opening, but that's nothing major.

So far, I like it.

Edit: Terminal shortcut in the panel doesn't do anything

Edit2: An uninstall script would be nice to have, too.

I am on SZ B4.

Just noticed that there's two shortcuts in the panel for terminal, on the left and one on the right hand side.

Having a battery monitor would also be nice :)

Set your own terminal in PCMANFM [substitute for THUNAR] in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Terminal > Type in: "Terminal"

or RMB on panel and > Add / Remove Panel Items > put your own proper terminal there

or RMB on panel and > Add / Remove Panel Items > ApplicationLaunch Bar > put your own proper terminal there from the list...

Battery mon dont work..

Very unstable, I made some settings changes and it caused the LXDE taskbar to appear when booting into XFCE. I have no recourse but to reflash again. Other issues with the menu categories and taskbar icons. On the upside it is faster as claimed, but faster is pointless if you can't have stability.
If you could provide more info about unstability of LXDE, i can put it on here. I dont have any problems using it on SZ B4 here, so i cant say it is unstable. Its perfectly stable for me.

Take your time and write something about instability of LXDE that you're saying, so everyone could replicate it..

Since you conveniently ignore the endpoint of my argument with semantics:

Haven't tried the new version yet, but with the old one, it didn't quit properly when you switched to a different GUI, so I had LXDE and XFCE running at the same time when I switched from LXDE to XFCE.

Is that fixed with the new version?

How many people are using XFCE? 90% of users? How many of those will care or even understand that it's the fault of the default OS or the default desktop causing a bug to crop up when they switch GUI's in it?

From the context of my statements you can clearly infer that my stability problem was with your package's end product and the default OS. And stability does involve compatibility with mainstream support systems in the real world. I would be fired if I seriously used your arguments to defend my programming. ("That's not a bug with my website, that's Internet Explorer!" *fired*)

Define "release" versus "alpha" or "beta" as you prefer... and it would be one thing if a sudden firmware update caused the issue... but this is, by your own submission, a known conflict documented nowhere in your upload or our repo talk. You just assume that users won't switch back to XFCE, eh? Or do you assume that less than a majority uses (Super/) Zaxxon?

Not only did you assume, but you played innocent and ignored my entire problem on the repo (as you still do!), insulting me to top it all off. And you continue with your games, but I must say from all my reading of you that it truly is no surprise to me. Just disappointing.

I'll leave the flames for my younger days, but you and I, we are done.

i have no time to explain you that you're entirely wrong in your accusations that lxde installer is in alpha shape, to anything you said in here, because its pointless. Im just happy that you spend whole afternoon on thinking how to try to getting away from situation that you sink into , when you tried to talk pointless stuff in repo.. im pretty sure your attempts failed. im giving you 1 star rating for post above..

(im tempted to move it on, further.. but i'll bite my tongue. There are better things to do that fool around with you, here..)

To be positive, having an easy way to install LXDE is great - keep up the good work, and like any project, it will improve :)

For the most part I agree completely about this desktop. Kuru pointed the major things I noticed on first boot as well. BTW, I'm on SZ B5. I have to say I have't noticed any great benefit yet to this desktop though other than theme (which is cool). Will run so more tests and see how it goes. I miss key navigation on the desktop though!

FYI, I'm a mini menu guy though so I don't spend much time in desktop. If tests prove this one better maybe I'll reconsider. While desktops are neat I'm just too old and find screen too small for that. If TV-out were available (and I had a better TV) I might work far more that way on the Pandora.

This worked perfectly.

Some tweaks need to be made to LXDE itself, but that's not the responsibility of this installer.

I think it would be better if this package had the LXDE files within it, so I don't have to use my Pandora to download. Perhaps that would be annoying to maintain though, so I don't mind.

Great work!

Back