Release OPKG installer

Dave1234

Hello All!

Following up on my SD installer, I've done an new PND for installing OPKG packages.

The idea is to simplify the process of installing OPKG things, mainly development tools, but other stuff as well.

If you are interested, you can get it here.

I hope you like it and please let me know what you think.

Is this a gui of some sort?

What advantages are there over using the standard install tools from angstrom?

Does it install the packages to the SD card vs the NAND while still running via NAND?

I am interested, but would like a bit more of a description of what I'm about to download (we could use a column for descriptions (or a tip bubble) for PNDstore too... I notice I have to search a bit to find out what the newest cool thing is someone made or ported to Pandora...

Is this a gui of some sort?

Yes. You are presented with a list of categories of packages (such as dev tools), you choose the ones you want and they are downloaded and installed.

What advantages are there over using the standard install tools from angstrom?

It's just a bit simpler/quicker, that's all.

Does it install the packages to the SD card vs the NAND while still running via NAND?

No (well, not yet anyway). It installs to the booted medium. If this is the NAND you will get a warning before it starts as installing a lot of packages to the NAND is a bad idea.

I am interested, but would like a bit more of a description of what I'm about to download (we could use a column for descriptions (or a tip bubble) for PNDstore too... I notice I have to search a bit to find out what the newest cool thing is someone made or ported to Pandora...

The linked page has more information. I have posted it here rather than any of the app stores as this is a better place to get feedback about it.

hi

sorry for ot but last i heard opkg packages are too new for our pandora and it was dangerous to try to install dev packages? am i mistaken?

cheers

hi

sorry for ot but last i heard opkg packages are too new for our pandora and it was dangerous to try to install dev packages? am i mistaken?

cheers
It depends. Some packages may be built for a newer version of the kernel than the Pandora currently runs. Otherwise the packages should work fine, if they are within the system specs.

hi

cheers

The problem is the package dependencies: some packages have dependencies that cause updates of certain existing packages, breaking things.

My program ignores the dependencies and instead has a specific list of packages to install.

hi

cheers

The problem is the package dependencies: some packages have dependencies that cause updates of certain existing packages, breaking things.

My program ignores the dependencies and instead has a specific list of packages to install.

will downloading the dev files allow me to compile stuff on the pandora?

Yes, if you install the development tools category, you will have the tools and libraries required to compile c or c++ programs and use SDL.

You will need to install to an SD card though. Installing to the NAND is not recommended as it takes up a lot of space and it could shorten the life of the NAND (compiling causes a lot of writes to disk).

Also, as this is beta software, you should back up any files that you don't want to risk losing. I've not had any problems with it during my testing but you never know.

Yes, if you install the development tools category, you will have the tools and libraries required to compile c or c++ programs and use SDL.

You will need to install to an SD card though. Installing to the NAND is not recommended as it takes up a lot of space and it could shorten the life of the NAND (compiling causes a lot of writes to disk).

Also, as this is beta software, you should back up any files that you don't want to risk losing. I've not had any problems with it during my testing but you never know.

okay great i run os off sdcard so no nand issues to worry about - this should be added to wiki as a safe way of compiling on pandora :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back