Lovely pandora! With slight flaw...

I also had some problems with my stylus I couldn´t get it out I have got it out but need to get it fixed with some sandpaper.
I had this too, but it does get better after a couple of days use.

Is fixing a face button similarly easy? My Y button doesn't work.

I kind of doubt it, though. And if it isn't, I'm not sure it's worth the risk of 1) Voiding my warranty, and 2) possibly breaking something else.
I fixed a squishy B button and it was pretty simple. You only need to lift the board a little to get at it.

I guess I need to update the button tester for Craig so that it clearly indicates if all keys were tested or not.

That sounds like a good idea, as it is easy to miss a button while pressing them all in a row.

Just an update: Craig was right - It was the little foam pad that had come off alignment. Putting it back in its rightful place now means I got two shoulder buttons going "click" in a very positive way. Happy, happy, joy, joy!!!

I have nice macro pictures for Gruso, too :) I'll just figure out the best way to share rather big images.

Just an update: Craig was right - It was the little foam pad that had come off alignment. Putting it back in its rightful place now means I got two shoulder buttons going "click" in a very positive way. Happy, happy, joy, joy!!!

I have nice macro pictures for Gruso, too :) I'll just figure out the best way to share rather big images.

Well it seems that those pads are easily misaligned while transportation.

May I suggest using double face tape to secure them in place.

Never mind that - The most detailed pictures all are under 2 MB, which means I ought to be able to upload them. Right? :)

The first image is of the good button. The foam pad sits where it should and has a marked depression where it presses the microswitch. The pictures are deliberately overexposed by a stop or so, to make the detail in the black parts come out better.

imgp1119.jpg

The second image is of the bad button. It is obvious that the pad has "fallen down" from its position.

imgp1120.jpg

The third image is of just the shoulder button, as it was.

imgp1121.jpg

The fourth is after I put the pad in position. It is also obvious that this one has never been pressed in the right place, if you compare to image 1

imgp1122.jpg

It is also quite obvious, to me, how this happens. The foam pad and the microswitch is quite close, physically. When putting the bottom piece back together with the rest of the pandora, one needs to apply a little bit of pressure to get everything to fit in place. If, at that moment, you happen to press in the shoulder button, the microswitch itself will push the pad away. If you look at the microswitches, closest to the camera here, it is quite easy to imagine them "peeling off" the pad from a shoulder button that gets too close.

imgp1117.jpg

This came out as quite a lecture, ne? Complete with pedagogical images...Well, that was tonights lesson, girls and boys! :p :D

Well it seems that those pads are easily misaligned while transportation.

May I suggest using double face tape to secure them in place.

No, I don't think they are misaligned in transportation. I think they get pushed out of alignment when the case is put together, and that somehow the shoulder button gets missed in testing. Addendum If it is not clear to everyone - The foam pads are sticky on the back, so they are already fixed by "sticky tape" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet you're talking about the standard Pandora case design flaw. Even when fully closed the left corner is a little open. Yeah, everybody has that. So at least you've got company ;)

I feel a little better about it now, thanks :)

Damn Moxie, Ray Charles could see those pics :p

Thanks for showing the new padding. They look rather nice, and I hope they help the shoulder buttons to respond better.

Chris

Wow, all these posts have me sort of worried...hopefully my (dead last 1st batch) Pandora won't have any flaws.

Thanks for the fantastic photos Moxie!

(Thank god you can right-click and open in new tab. That popup image plugin the board uses is the worst thing that ever happened to the internet.)

Speculant: Don't sweat it. A handful of reports out of several hundred shipped, is a very low percentage. ;)

Damn Moxie, Ray Charles could see those pics :p

Thanks for showing the new padding. They look rather nice, and I hope they help the shoulder buttons to respond better.

Yeah, well...I thought, if I am to make detailed piccies, I might as well not ruin the detail, eh? :) The buttons are absolutely perfect now.

Thanks for the fantastic photos Moxie!

(Thank god you can right-click and open in new tab. That popup image plugin the board uses is the worst thing that ever happened to the internet.)

*pats self on head*

And yes. That is, as HPL would have said, an eldritch abomination man was not meant to know.

Perhaps these little foam pads ought to be an orderable spare part?

Nice pics moxie now I know how to fix my left shoulder button

feeling more confident for opening up my pandora and fixing the problem.

thnx for the information.

The first image is of the good button. The foam pad sits where it should and has a marked depression where it presses the microswitch. The pictures are deliberately overexposed by a stop or so, to make the detail in the black parts come out better.

<snip great pictures and explanation>
Hey Moxie, how did you do that, you took pictures of MY Pandora!

I had EXACTLY the same problem on the left shoulder button, down to the location of the foam pad, which was as you said probably "peeled off" by the microswitch when the case was closed. But if that's the case, there's no way it would have gone unnoticed if someone actually tested it after assembly. So the button tester program that OP team is using should probably be updated as Notaz said.

And regarding the seemingly big number of complaints, bear in mind this is a support forum. That's where people with problem will end up, it's normal. Every piece of electronic equipment, if they have a support forum, will show the same thing, and there will be people complaining about the "vast number of problems". What's important is the ratio between good pandora / bad pandora, and the seriousness of the issues. Mine only had that misaligned foam pad problem, so I can safely say it is 100% working since I fixed it myself (and it is a refurbished one bought on eBay! It really looks like a new one to me! But I guess it's normal, they're all new aren't they :p )

Hey Moxie, how did you do that, you took pictures of MY Pandora!

Not to alarm you, but: Take a close look at your desk lamp. You know, the one you use to light the table when you work with electronic stuff? Do you see a dark spot on the reflector? Yeah, that's where my camera is. Don't worry, I won't share the pictures from the other night. :ph34r:

:)

My Pandora had exactly the same problem. I tried adjusting the foam pad as suggested but it didnt matter what I did it wasn't quite right and most of the time when adjusted it actually made it worse. The foam pad was too 'compressed' so I used some duck/gaffa tape, cut it into a small strip and stuck it to the foam pad. The button feels fine now, has good movement and a proper click, actually it's probably better than the other side now!

My replacement Pandora had problems with the Left Shoulder not responding and the B Button being so tight that touching the case would trigger it. I couldn't bear sending it back again so I risked a look inside.

The B Button had some plastic on the inside, looks like it was left over from the mould, after scraping this off it works perfectly.

The Left Shoulder wasn't making good contact with the microswitch no matter where I positioned the piece of felt. I replaced it with one of the sticky bits of plastic that comes with flat packed furniture, the little circle bit that you're supposed to stick on the drawers to stop them slamming. Had to shave a bit off it (really small tolerance in there) but it works a treat now.

The only issue I've got left is that the DPad has so much travel in the up direction that diagonals are really hard to hit. I'm not just talking for precision jumping but just trying to move a ship around in a shoot-em up. I was going to try and fix it but it seems as if the DPad is glued onto the keymat (I didn't risk pulling too hard in case I tore the mat). Has anyone had this issue and found a simple way to fix it?

Thanks

Dave

I had also an unresponsive right shoulder button. I decided to take out the bottom, put some folded paper between the foam and the trigger and put it back together. Right trigger sounds actually better than the left one with this high class modification!

Hi - Just received my Pandora, well about an hour ago. Before I even turned it on I could see that the left shoulder button wasn't working, but thanks to this thread, and a screwdriver it is all sorted.

The button was in a "pressed in" position, but comparing the left and right buttons when opening the case revealed the foam pad was stuck in a position where it wasn't in contact with the micro-switch. I lined it up and put it back together and all is good.

All I need now is the root password. Time to rtfm I guess!

Cheers all.

Hi - Just received my Pandora, well about an hour ago. Before I even turned it on I could see that the left shoulder button wasn't working, but thanks to this thread, and a screwdriver it is all sorted.

The button was in a "pressed in" position, but comparing the left and right buttons when opening the case revealed the foam pad was stuck in a position where it wasn't in contact with the micro-switch. I lined it up and put it back together and all is good.

All I need now is the root password. Time to rtfm I guess!

Cheers all.

there is no root password at all. Just use sudo ;)

Finally had some more time to look at my Pandora. My problem is, just as others have described here, that it doesn't click and feels stuck due to the lack of bouncing back. I tried loosening the rear five screws to release some stress of my case (they were quite tight) but it didn't add to the click or responsiveness of my left shoulder button.

I decided to take a look inside to see if my foam pad got displaced like Moxie described, however my unit doesn't have any foam pads at all. Instead some black tape is pasted over the rim that touches switch inside the unit.

The rest of my Pandora is working flawlessly and I'm very happy with it, but these are most certainly the worst shoulder buttons I have ever used in my life. Please advice on how to fix this.

bump

any solution for people without foam bit?

my right shoulder is not 'clicking properly

have already loosened screw nearest shoulder pad has helped a bit.

cheers

/edit/

just read stuckie's quick fix, did that seemed, to have solved it but any permanent solution on horizon or just have to change paper when it wears down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back