Littlegptracker Alpha Version

TomVS posted on May 22 2006 at 01:19 PM said:
The tracker produced sound for the first time but the programs hangs after about 5 seconds over and over again.

The quality of the the produced sound is excellent however so please hang on to this promising project....

Thanks for the feedback. Don't worry, there's no way I'm dropping it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tested it and got sound playback for the 1st tiime (that is continous playback without freezing!) The beat sounds a bit strange (especially snare / drums) but overall sound quality is really good. The program still does not always boot and sometimes freezes on a black screen, forcing you to turn off the '2X.

I have not quite figured out yet how the Song patterns / chains work together, it is very different from normal trackers (like OctaMED or Modplug) and I find the button-combinations to control and navigate still very confusing :p

Keep the betas / alphas coming! You know we love to test 'em!! :)

"SunSpire"

SunSpire posted on May 22 2006 at 06:50 AM said:
I have not quite figured out yet how the Song patterns / chains work together, it is very different from normal trackers (like OctaMED or Modplug) and I find the button-combinations to control and navigate still very confusing :p

it's just like little sound dj, a tracker designed for gameboy with a refined interface for editing on the go. once you have the jist of it, the workflow is super tight and even quicker than traditional trackers ... i'm now a snob for a grid-based song screen (over the usual pattern list).

if you're struggling to get a grip, check out the latest LSDj documentation or some older tutorials on getting started with LSDj.

This tutorial is useful because things started working. I am now able to produce sound when working with patterns and chains..

The main song seems to crash after a while but I am starting to overcome the old amiga tracker thinking...

This could be a fantastic peice of software

For all the people having black screens & can't boot the app.. it seems the HW SDL does lock on some unit. Went back to the previous libs I had and it seems to have solved the problem.

new install here:

http://www.10pm.org/nostromo/lgpt/ghetto/install_gp2x.zip

with a few bonus feature added:

> Joystick repeat implemented
> Screen gets darker when batteries go flat. When it does: time to save !
> Fixed a bug when accessing uninitialized instrument.

The problem with crashing on start if no project loaded is still there tho.

Happy piggin' ;P

Boy , oh boy, it's working !
Thanks M-.-n.
Just have to learn to handle the beast now :)

As TomVS said the song you provided is freezing after 10 seconds playing but the one I've made is okay.
I'll test it more tonight and try to score a Gp2X hit song soon.

Well done !

Things are almost stable right now.

I mean I started experimenting with some tracks borrowed from DAAN (you Belgians know what I mean) and I must say that the tracker (almost) never crashes.

After some troubles with setting up this software (see higher) you get a very very nice tracker !

Some features are disabled in this last build but I've made my first crappy compo today.
Once you're used to the joy+stick shortcuts it's really nice.

Ooray for the Piggy !

TomVS posted on May 23 2006 at 09:23 PM said:
Things are almost stable right now.

I mean I started experimenting with some tracks borrowed from DAAN (you Belgians know what I mean) and I must say that the tracker (almost) never crashes.

After some troubles with setting up this software (see higher) you get a very very nice tracker !

Cool to know u'r getting some fun with it ! Interested to hear your DAAN covers :)
The software still crashes sometimes and I'll have to get my way to dig'em out. But for an alpha, it's not too bad :)

Thanks for the feedback !
Marc

starpause posted on May 22 2006 at 04:23 PM said:
SunSpire posted on May 22 2006 at 06:50 AM said:

it's just like little sound dj, a tracker designed for gameboy with a refined interface for editing on the go. once you have the jist of it, the workflow is super tight and even quicker than traditional trackers ... i'm now a snob for a grid-based song screen (over the usual pattern list).

if you're struggling to get a grip, check out the latest LSDj documentation or some older tutorials on getting started with LSDj.

Thank you for the helpful links! (will read trough all the docs) and will have another go at tracking a tune when I get the chance!! :)

"SunSpire"

Experimented quite a bit now with the tracker....

I do not seem to be able to use the copy/paste function
The docs say you have to press b to start a selection and b again to stop the selection. I beleive L+A is paste...
It does not seem to work..???

Another question... Is it possible to add extra samples (instruments) on a saved song. When starting a new project you see the program loading samples... Is it possible to add more while working on a project???

Thanks.... The programs crashes every now but hey... great stuff

Hey Tom,

Glad you're diggin it and trying advanced features !

TomVS posted on May 28 2006 at 12:19 PM said:
The docs say you have to press b to start a selection and b again to stop the selection. I beleive L+A is paste... It does not seem to work..???

You trigger selection mode by pressing L+B. Then extend your selection with the joystick. Once the desired area is selected, either do 'B' to copy the selection to the clipboard or L+A to cut. Further paste of the clipboard is done by doing L+A while not in selection mode. Let me know if it works, done a few tests and it is alright.

TomVS posted on May 28 2006 at 12:19 PM said:
Another question... Is it possible to add extra samples (instruments) on a saved song. When starting a new project you see the program loading samples... Is it possible to add more while working on a project???

Yes, no problem for that. Just add the samples, start LGPT, go to an unused instrument and highlight the sample field. By using A and joystick , u can assign the sample of the instrument and you should find all the samples from the lgpt/samples directory. If it ain't there, it most probably means the sample could not be loaded.

Cheers and thanks for the entousiasm !
Marc

Added the samples as stated in your last post... The program crashed frequently when using the new samples but after restarting several times the program seems more stable now... I did not change anything to the samples strange but hey... I am not complaining...

Digging in the advanced cut copy past functions now...

Back