List Your Retro-machines You Still Use

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
While chatting with Metaview in IRC I had this idea.. what machines do you still mess with, rather than using via emulation?

ie: I'm an ST nerd as you all know, but mostly I futz around with things via emulation. However, I have a couple rare machines that I fire up once in awhile..

STacy (Atari ST laptop; 30 pounds heavy makes it loosrly 'laptop' :) I fire up once in awhile; its ST-mono, so good for text adventures and wargames (Empire!), but I don't have a lot on there. I just got a TT030 (sequel to the ST) with a pile of stuff on it .. could be amusing to webbrowse or IRC from as it runs a unix-like OS add on to TOS/GEM :p

I did fire up my Jaguar awhile back, to remember how terrible it was; also dug out an Atari 800XL and XEGS but haven't fired them up yet.. got Pacman and Centipede to try out on there :)

Also a Lynx .. once in a blue moon. So all these Atari machines I fire up every year or two.

I've not fired up a NES or SNES in years; does N64 count? My wife and I were playing through Ocarina of Time and Mario Party there a couple years ago..

Damn, I need to crack out these old machines and give them a whirl :)

jeff

Or stop acquiring the damned things; most are worthless and take up so much space... but gotta love 'em!

atari lynx I (Klax, California Games, Beast, Toki, Paperboy, Stun Runner, Hard Drivin - great games)
gameboy (Tennis, Prince of Persia, Tetris, and Race Drivin)
wonderswan (Mr Driller, Final Lap)
neo geo pocket

I regret the day I ever sold my Lynx II. :(
It was in mint condition & I had about 10 games & the carrycase. I don't even know why I sold it, I used to love California games! Xybots! Xenophobe! Ninja Gaiden! etc etc etc...

Bah! :angry:

I just hope & pray there'll be a good Lynx emu for the GP2X. ;)

On a side note, I used to LOVE my Atari ST too! I think I've still got it in the loft somewhere. I remember I got it upgraded once from a 520 to 1mb & it cost an absolute fortune! Hard drives were nearly a grand too for something stupid like 100mb or something. Crazy! I remember seeing the Atari Falcon & thinking wow! I gotta get me one of those!... but I got a master system or something instead. :rolleyes:

Anyway, enough, I'm making myself upset. :(

my neo geo cd and atari 5200 see the most use, everyonce in a while i play my Lynx, i've blown up 3 jags and am waiting for my 4th to arrive in the mail, so once i get that, i can add the Jaguar to the list.

So far my only retro thing must be my neogeopocket color, I still fire up frequently. :)

I have an atari stick tv thing too, which I play once in a while, though. :)
And a N64, psx, and all that, but not really retro. :p

Going to get a snes and nes soon though. e.e

C64 & vic20 & plus4 (c116)
Atari 800/5200 console
My 2600 broke :(
Dreamcast
Famicom / nes
Snes
Nintendo 64
Videopac G7400 / (Odyssy 2)
Megadrive/Genesis
MSX 2
Neogeo / NeogeoCD (games are cheaper ;) )
Neogeopocket color
Tg16 with hucards only
Playstation 1
ZX48K spectrum
Saturn
Atari ST 1Mb
Amiga 500
Vectrex

I have a game-attick and have most systems setup and connected to my tv through a multimedia receiver and scart select boxes. On the gp32 and gp2x I emulate mostly. I am a retrogamer (collect games I play and not games I don't play) and love the feel of the old machines, I often resort to emulation of the older machines on pc & handheld to prevent uneccesary wear and tear. But there's nothing like to original.

it's not all retrogaming I like, it's the new systems and pc gaming too :)

Been playing my megadrive since the day i got it back in 1994 and ive never had a single problem with it. Only console hooked up to its own tv. Power Rangers the Movie is great on it. Also started playing dreamcast again. man Phantasy Star Online is great.

Mostly SNES (recently picked up a flashcart, so im playing Tales of Phantasia on the real hardware). I also have a C64c that i just picked up, to replaced the one i had a few years ago. I own all the new consoles, but time is short... I'll probably start Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2 once im done with TOP.

I tend to rotate my retro consoles so at the moment I have a ZX Spectrum set up, but a couple of months ago I had my SNES out.

Me and a friend play Supercars II and Lotus 3 on my Amiga 500 sometimes. With two megadrive pads and the volume turned up it is a rare treate both for hands and ears!

circle_that_pit posted on Dec 19 2005 at 07:48 PM said:
Virtual boy. best. system. ever.
B)

NES, great on vacation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Emulation is good, but it is nothing like the real thing! Sometime during the year I find myself more and more pulling out and playing on the following. The Genesis Nomad would be listed in here but since I got my GP32, it is a rare occasion except to play something in particular. If I get involved in a RPG then the following systems suffer for lack of attention.

Neo Geo Pocket color- Metal Slug 2nd Mission, Metal Slug 1st Mission, Samurai Shodown 2, The Last Blade, Match of the Millennium SNK vs CAPCOM, Fatal Fury F-Contact, King of Fighters R-2, GALS Fighters, Bust-A-Move Pocket! (I love this little system)

Swancrystal- One Piece Colosseum (a regular in the system), Gundam Seed, Guilty Gear 2, Guilty Gear, Digimon Battle Spirit, Puyo Puyo 2,Final Fantasy 2.

Lynx- Stun Runner (mostly), Shanghai, Shadow of the Beast, Rygar, Gates of Zendocon, KLAX, Zarlor Mercnary, Toki, Blue Lighting, Ms. Pacman, Slime World, Checkered Flag.

Jaguar- Tempest 2000 (the only reason to have a Jaguar), Defender 2000.

Dreamcast (this system stays hooked up to a second monitor beside my desktop computer)- Powerstone, Gunbird 2, Mars Matrix, Crazy Taxi 2, Project Justice, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2, Marvel vs CAPCOM, Speed Devils, Bangai-O(sad that this one is not monitor compatable), Grandia 2, Chu Chu Rocket, Skies of Arcadia, Record of the Lodoss War, Virtual On, Sonic Adventure, Phatasy Star Online.

Tubo Express- Raiden, R-Type 2, Galaga 90, Dead Moon, Air Zonk, Soldier Blade, Side Arms, Blazing Lazers, Sinistron, R-Type, Bonk's Adventure, Bonk's Revenge, Alien Crush, Parasol Stars, Samurai-Ghost, Legendary Axe.

Turbo Duo- Gates of Thunder

Saturn- NiGHTS, Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon 2 zwei, Christmas NiGHTS, Fighters Megamix, Baku Baku, Galactic Attack.

I do find an occasion to pull out, or use when traveling, my Playstation 1 with fold up LCD screen. Best thing to have in a Hotel room. Only once a year do I pull out the SNES. Some of the games I play on it have been put on the gameboy advance. I am still waiting for Earthbound. :)

The thing i play constantly is my beloved pcengine core II with super cd-rom add on.
My favourite game at the moment is the cd version of populous and promised lands along with rainbow islands and parasol stars. I'm glad someone has released a pcengine emulator on the gp2x :D

dreamcast and original gameboy...

they feel nice...

I also have a binatone pong machine and on original wood panel atari (hooked up but not played much now) snes is boxed up at the mo - but its harvest moon on that...

I have a home made arcade supergun type jamma board box thing - which plays soul caliber, daytona and a few others - but since i got the dreamcast its been on permenant loan to my brother in law...

my gp32 is played everyday without fail though!

sPaCe :ph34r:

Back