Best/notable C64 Games?

For the record, Bomb Jack was a horrible horrible conversion.

I'd recommend:

Iridis Alpha
Drelbs
Leaderboard
IK+
Mr Do's Castle
Mega Apocalypse
Warhawk
Nemesis
Zenji
Super Pipeline 2
Paradroid
Bounty Bob Strikes Back
Thrust
World Games
Trailblazer
Cosmic Causeway
Kikstart 1 & 2
Wizball
Slapfight
Firetrack
HERO
Beamrider
P.O.D
Voidrunner
Beat It!
Pipe Mania
Nebulus

Jay

Nice ;)

I'm slowly working on my 'top/notable list for all platforms' list.. my own 'best games I've played'; tough to do, but it'd be interesting for everyone to do it. Especially since we all had different experiences.. I went from Atari 2600 to Vic 20 to Atari ST to PC .. skipped SNES and Genesis and NES and such entirely, and fiddled with Atari 8-bits and Amigas a touch. So my list will be very different to most peoples :)

jeff

The only games I know are the games I used to play on my catridge c64. Ive never properly tried c64 emulation. But I reccomend

Fiendish Freddy (big top o' fun) is a great game if you have more than 1 player in which you have to perform circus acts to impress the judges and win money. The fun comes in multiplayer mode with up to 5 players taking turns to do circus acts and see who can earn the most money. The acts include juggling, knife throwing, high diving, tightrope walking, cannonball and trapeze (I think thats all of them)

Flimbo's quest is a pretty simple side scrolling game where you search through the level to shoot the enemy that is shown at the mottom of the screen. When you kill it you get a scroll which you return to the bank and are assigned a new enemy. When you have collected enough scrolls you proceed onto the next level (3 for level 1, 4 for level 2, etc.) The concept is pretty simple and the graphics are pretty childish but it is very easy to get a game over in the later levels and have to start from level 1 all over again.

Klax. This game used to annoy me when I was young but when I got older I couldnt get enough of this game. Simply put multicoloured boxes roll down a hill where you have to catch and deposit boxes of the same colours into piles without dropping any. The game starts off pretty slowly but soon speeds up and becomes and pretty fast paced game.

And I dont know why everyone loved impossible mission so much. I couldnt for the life of me figure out what do so went round collecting things only to get zapped by robots. Impossible mission for the amiga was a great game though.

Has nobody mentioned Skool Daze, that was the dogs.

mrdark posted on Sep 27 2005 at 04:00 PM said:
This is going to sound retarded, but there was a game (possibly a hack) that my friend showed me in about 1989 called "Smurf butcher Bob" and it ran on either the commodore or the apple IIe. It was a single -screen interface and involved jumping over creatures to coccoon them, and if you weren't fast enough a giant dinosaur foot would come down and stomp you.

That game kicked ass, and I'm sure someone changed the title and details (when the foot hit you, the text read "Oh shit!!") but surely the game exists for real somewhere out there.....

The original was called "Dino Eggs" and it was a tough, but fun game.

Last edited by a moderator:
pea posted on Oct 3 2005 at 08:35 AM said:
Get him my roooobots! HAHAHAHAHAHAAA!
samples on the c64! wow!

It was "Destroy him, my robots!" :)

Another visitor... stay a while... staaaaa-aaay forever!

Last edited:
I may be too late but I'm still going to post my top 10 list:

1. Great Giana Sisters - Yes it's a clone but it's still the best platform game ever!
2. Boulder Dash - Highly addictive. Just one more level!
3. Uridium - Fantastic idea. Best side shooter ever!
4. Barbarian: The Ultimate Warrior - Off with the head! off with the head!
5. Bubble Bobble - So cute, and so fun!
6. IK+ - Best fighting game for the c64. Hubbard's music is top notch.
7. Silent Service - Feel the tension.
8. R-Type - Incredible shooter (the clone Katakis is better but R-Type still gets the credit).
9. Last Ninja 2 - Has everything. Even better than the first!
10. Defender of the Crown - Ground breaking strategy.

Just outside top 10, in no particular order:
Pirates!, Salamander, Bruce Lee, Arkanoid, Delta, Katakis/Denaris, Last Ninja, Spy Hunter, Sanxion, Wizball, BMX Simulator, Kickstart 2, Monty on the Run, Paperboy, Outrun, Ghost 'n' Goblins, Gauntlet, Commando, Green Beret, Parallax, Armalyte, Rambo, Cobra, Nemesis the Warlock, Nemesis, Leaderbord Golf, Gyruss, Pitstop II, Cybernoid, Cybernoid II, Nebulus, Montezuma's Revenge, Operation Wolf, Jack the Nipper II, Krakout ...and many many more that I can't remember right now...

Give Championship Wrestling a try. Its far better than the bug ridden ST version and proves that you don't need a big WWE license to have a great game. It's got the lot - a good and varied amount of traditional wrestling moves plus custom moves for each wrestler, and even intro scenes of the wrestlers with their theme music, fascial expressions, trash talk and so on. This is still my favourite wrestling game to this day.

EDIT: Just remebered a couple more.

Mancopter - lesser known game from the early 80's. You pilot a pedal copter across various landscapes avoiding all the baddies about.

Pinball Construction set - just like Racing Destruction set except for pinball. Make your own tables etc.

Super Cycle - the best motorcycle racing game ever seen on the C64 IMO.

Pitstop 2 - as above but for Formula One. Has 6 different real world tracks. Even has a pit sequence where you have to move the pit crew yourself to change the tyres and add fuel.

Winter Games/Summer Games/Summer Games 2/ World Games/California Games
The classic games series from Epyx was never bettered on the C64.

Split Personalities - one of my personal favs, a puzzle game not too dissamiliar to slidey puzzle games (but not exactly the same, and I'm not a fan of slidey block puzzlers normally), you have to arrange blocks in order to match the picture on the top right. You also get other non-picture blocks which range from those that do nothing, those that give you points when combines with others to bombs which have to be disposed of in a few seconds or you lose a life. A really fun puzzle game.

Card Sharks - play poker, hearts and blackjack against three animated opponents (even Maggie Thatcher, Gorbochov and Ronnie Reagan if you like).

Im getting all my roms here and im pretty sure they are free and legal as there is no disclaimer of any kind.

http://www.c64.com/

If there is any violation of this boards rules to posting these i expect to be notified or have the link edited out of my post.

Thanks for all your suggestions, downloaded all those roms now :lol:

chris_r posted on Oct 3 2005 at 01:38 AM said:
And I dont know why everyone loved impossible mission so much. I couldnt for the life of me figure out what do so went round collecting things only to get zapped by robots. Impossible mission for the amiga was a great game though.
Impossible Mission was very hard to actually complete, I've only ever done it once. Of course it should be much easier with emu save states...

Basically, you have to:
1) Collect every puzzle piece from all the rooms.
2) Then you have to assemble the puzzle pieces into complete puzzles, using 4 pieces each (a completed puzzle is basically just a filled in rectangle). You do this by pressing the fire button when stationary in an elevator hallway, this gets you to a sort've wrist-pad interface where you can pause the game, play with your puzzle pieces, etc. Assembling the puzzle pieces can be quite challenging, because you have to flip, rotate and change their colours to get them to fit.
3) Each completed puzzle gives you a letter. When you have assembled all the puzzles you will have a complete password.
4) One room in the game is special, it has this weird blue door that you cannot search like all the other items in the game. This is where you go when you have completed the password, then you win the game.

The game gives you six hours to complete, which sounds like a lot, but each time you die you lose 10 minutes, and it's easy to die a LOT in this game.

Personally I don't play it to win, I just play it because it's fun, and no two games are exactly alike because the room positions and robot behaviour are randomized each time.

My version of Imp. Mission is pretty screwed up. Somehow whenever a robot "shoots" the left wall of the screen with a jolt, the player dies no matter where he is.. *shrug*

I don't know if CCS64 is what's doing that, but it's annoying.

Ultima III, IV, V
Alternate Reality: The City
Alternate Reality: The Dungeon
M.U.L.E.
Legacy of the Ancients
Elite
Paradroid
Alleykat
Uridium
Great Giana Sisters
Phantasie I, II, III
Warhawk
Druid
The Bard's Tale I, II, III
Impossible Mission
Ghostbusters
G.I. Joe (very underrated)
Summer Games I, II, World Games
Adventure Construction Set (never got a euro release, a shame, I made an excellent Ultima clone with it)
SEUCK
so many more I could go on and on and on.....

The machine that made me the nerd I am today. :)

Well, you think the GP2X initial release has it bad...

The C64DTV PAL version was released recently, in a batch numbering apparently in the hundreds of thousands. Unfortunately, a manufacturing error in China has resulted in most if not all units being affected by faulty colours.

So bad are the faulty colours, that on some screens you can't actually read the text, and in other games the "blends" between colours are completely botched.

Very disappointing.

Toy:Lobster, the company that has produced the units, initially claimed that not one unit was faulty, although now I've encouraged a few more people to contact them, they're "investigating the matter".

vic20-ian posted on Sep 27 2005 at 04:52 PM said:
Arena - by Cult Games - you won't find this - it was a 2.99 game I bought for a friend similar to a Spectrum Game. Featured a 2x2 screen size playfield, 2-8 nameable player or computer controlled Wizards, Spell casting rounds and move rounds all turn based but great fun. I'll never forget the "Eyeshole" vs "Somanumbatch" showdown.

You won't find it because I have found it near impossible to copy - I tried all my cartridges and finally managed to save it from tape to disk but it only works on real hardware - emulators cannot run it :-(

If anyone wants the .D64 to have a go at the protection for an 8 bit challenge let me know.

Its available for download from c64.com!

Arena (35 kb)
Year: 1988
Graphics: David Woof
Programmed: Tony Gould
Musician: Chris Gould
Developed by: Cult Games
Genre: Strategy

Very rare strategy game, similar to Amiga smash hit Lords of Chaos.
2-8 wizards duke it out in a big arena, using spells and summoning monsters.
Wizards can be either player or computer controlled.

Back