Linux/android Tablet Made In Germany

kuru

Laptop und Trachtenjanker
I have just found out about this and it seems like an interesting competitor for the latest additions to the tablet market.

WePad_Pic_1_0.jpg

WePad_Pic_8_0.jpg

WePad_Pic_6_0.jpg

WePad_Pic_10.jpg

1366 x 768 Pixels 11,6“ Screen
1,66 GHz Intel Atom N450, 1GB RAM, 6hrs battery life
Ambient Light Sensor, Acceleration Sensor, Stereo, Internal Microfon

site http://wepad.mobi/en
specs http://www.neofonie.de/files/product_specifications_WePad_version1.5_100419.pdf

Its still a Atom processor, battery hungry. I don't think a tablet needs an x86 processor, most people will never use one to replace their PC and will only use it as a document viewer, internet browser, few light games, and video. Even before the iPad I thought this, it looks like putting an ARM into the iPad is the strongest selling point.

Netbooknews will test it soon. You can request what should be tested here:
http://www.netbooknews.de/15384/netbooknewsde-kann-ein-wepad-testen/

I do like the idea of all these new pads/tabs coming out, they're nice..... But..... Too big for me!

They look goofy (IMO).

Although! I did get my N900 yesterday afternoon! Maybe that's why I'm saying all these pads/tabs are too big?
New love? Haha.
I'm still using my iPhone (on it now). It's a hard thing to change.

Back OT:
wouldn't an x86 @ 1.66ghz chomp away at the battery life?

Is it running windows? At least with it running an intel chip it means it could/should get MeeGo!

I'm skeptical about the Wepad. Their press conference was very fishy. Nobody could touch the device and the device they showed only played a video. Which in the end showed a windows error at the end...

Regards

André

I just can't get excited about atom in anything like this.

Dual core or better Cortex A9...yeah that would kick ass.

An ipad clone. Meh. What is it with the clones these days? Do inventors not want to try different things anymore?

Back in the 80's there was literally a new unique machine every month. Now it's clones clones clones.

for it to be a clone of the ipad, you assume ipad was the first tablet pc ever, which it wasnt, so actually ipad is a clone of another device already...

craigix said:
An ipad clone. Meh. What is it with the clones these days? Do inventors not want to try different things anymore?

Back in the 80's there was literally a new unique machine every month. Now it's clones clones clones.

Back in the 80's things were far less mature and thus less corporatized. After more than 20 years of diddling people have probably run out of new ideas centered around traditional computer electronics.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really understand why everyone is interested in the ipad (except perhaps, "apple makes it and its shiny". i remember using a tablet pc about 6 or 7 years ago (for work) so its hardly something new. I wasn't impressed then, and i'm not impressed now. whats so great about a laptop with no keyboard?
(but then again i remember saying 'pah, web pages? thats crap, gopher and archie are the way to go... '*ahem*)

zhasha said:
Look at the specs. It's not an iPad clone, it's a portable toaster.

I'd take that portable toaster over an iPad.

craigix said:

It's not as if Apple invented the tablet PC. They've been around for ages. I've got a Viewsonic V1100. Those came out in 2002, I believe, and they weren't the first.

I saw a review of the iPad from a gaming perspective and I must say that developing for a tablet is quite interesting. Such a large touch screen really opens up for some creative gameplay.

This one looks quite interesting, does it come with WiFi? I worry a bit about the wide screen format (4:3 is probably better in portrait mode) and the size and weight. Other than that it seems like it does a lot of things right, except that the OS looks like crap. I think the flash support among other things will be much welcome to many.

VRAndy said:
craigix said:

It's not as if Apple invented the tablet PC. They've been around for ages. I've got a Viewsonic V1100. Those came out in 2002, I believe, and they weren't the first.

They didn't invent it no, but I doubt you would be seeing all these similar devices if the iPad didn't exist. Personally if I made an 'ipad' I'd put small but usable mini controls on either side, with the shoulder buttons on the back.

craigix said:
VRAndy said:
craigix said:

They didn't invent it no, but I doubt you would be seeing all these similar devices if the iPad didn't exist. Personally if I made an 'ipad' I'd put small but usable mini controls on either side, with the shoulder buttons on the back.
I agree wholeheartedly. Even without bringing gaming into it! My old V1100 has D-pad type thing for arrow keys and an "enter" button, both under the user's right[sup]*[/sup] thumb. Very handy. It essentially enables me to scroll around one-handed.

With a touch-pad and/or stylus interface only you pretty much can't interact with it without using both hands or laying the thing flat on a table. (The iPhone somewhat avoids this problem, but only because it's so small.)

*(A weird oddity with the V1100 is that is seems to be designed for the user to hold it in the right hand, and grip the stylus in their left hand. OK by me!)

Back