Link 2 Gp2x Together

telengard

Certified Guru
Website
users.adelphia.net
Did a search of the forums and got 313 pages for 'link together'. :)

Can this be done, possibly over the USB bus? My friend is getting one of these and it would be great to play some of the old 2 player games like Joust on the TV.

~telengard

So far, no.... But there was talk about an adapter or USB joystick hookup for TV two-players. That would really be great. 5 Player SNES Bomberman would be just super.

Not over usb, but the ext port / uart could be used, if we have two uart ports it would even be pretty "fast".
You could also use gp2x usb <-> pc .... internet.... pc <-> gp2x usb, wich makes most sense to me as its pretty unlikely to find another gp2x in the wild :)

It sucks that you cant come across another gp2x ......

There should be convention of a sort...almost like an e3 for gp2x users :)

I would totally be up for a gp2x convention only I am in California in the bay area and I do not know how many people around here are actually getting one. but its a cool idea though....

I don't think there's any chance of using the USB for anything but accessing the SD card from a computer, works like a mass storage device from what I've heard. There's no USB host so you can't send data from your GP2X.

Linking would be either through an EXT cable or through a WiFi SDIO card once drivers for such a card is made. It has to be a WiFi card with built in memory though because you can't fit any games on the unit itself.

Jarska333:
That site has an error for me. It's supposed to display a map right? Can't see one...

you dont need usb host when connecting it to a pc, it have been done with gp32 in device mode before, see bloodcross.

you dont need usb host when connecting it to a pc, it have been done with gp32 in device mode before, see bloodcross.

That would be nice if it worked, at least that could give us online gaming :) When I think about it that's how mice and other USB stuff works, they don't have host mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit OT, but a while back someone was talking about powered hard drive portable holders which could connect via USB... any further stuff on that sort of thing likely? I think that the device was just for powering a standard harddrive- uses Li-Ion batteries, and connects via USB. Any plans anyone?

Bit OT, but a while back someone was talking about powered hard drive portable holders which could connect via USB... any further stuff on that sort of thing likely? I think that the device was just for powering a standard harddrive- uses Li-Ion batteries, and connects via USB. Any plans anyone?

Since GP2X doesn't have host mode it can't read from the HDD. Don't know what's the case if the HDD rack have host mode but I don't think it's very likely that it has host mode as usually stuff using USB HDDs have host mode, like laptops etc.

USB SDIO card? As long as it's not host mode you'll have the same problem, wont you?

A stopgap solution:

I've never used an internet cafe before, so to someone who has: what kind of things can you usually do? could you for example, bring in an external hard-drive and your gp2x and then shift the files through the computer onto your gp2x? I somehow feel the answer is no, as it seems doubtful to me that they would want people downloading or uploading files to their computers (might become unwitting accessories to a crime *cough*WAREZ!ROMS!*cough*) but if so, then this is I guess an OK if not perfect solution

USB SDIO card? As long as it's not host mode you'll have the same problem, wont you?

No there are USB cards with host mode or they are on the way, can't remember. The point of these cards is that you get access to USB memories and other USB devices from devices that doesn't have USB host like the GP2X.

heh how I'd love to put my 40gb 1.8" hdd inside the thing and not have to deal with sd cards...except for a wifi one. I picked up the drive early this year for $60 from Frys on their one-day sale.

IF the GP2X is compatible with 'OTG' (On the GO) It may allow 2 USB slaves to talk to each other.

OR you could build a USB Slave->Host->Slave connector cable/control box to connect 2 devices together. Would need some good sw/hw hacking skills to impliment that though!

and then there is the EXT. Serial UART slow but it should be enough for 2 player games. Quake will work just fine over a 11.5K serial link, since its LATENCY is low the game should be just like on a LAN.

It might not even be that hard to make a UART to Ethernet adaptor either.

Back