Lightgun

Fzero

Advanced Member
Stupid question? Maybe

Could any existing [or new specific made one] lightgun and sensor work on pandora?
Old nes or ps1 gcon guns used the consoles ports so not those but there must be pc USB ones, no?
Could you USB a lightguns sensor bar, so games like duckhunt or my old fav vampire hunt on ps1, operation wolf mame etc?

That would be nice for when hooked up to telly, I dont like dpadding a crosshairs over the screen, too unacurate

I know old light guns worked by detecting the beam scan of the CRT. Not sure if there are newer ones that will work with LCD screens.

Fzero said:
That would be nice for when hooked up to telly, I dont like dpadding a crosshairs over the screen, too unacurate
So use touchscreen or a USB mouse or nubs...?

pwsch said:
I know old light guns worked by detecting the beam scan of the CRT. Not sure if there are newer ones that will work with LCD screens.
nope, the newer ones require IR and work like the Wii Remote. They have some in arcades and they suck compared to the old CRT style. It is not 1:1 with where you're actually pointing on the screen (just like the Wii).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tapping the pandora screen, even if not showing the game screen, while hooked to tv-out would be nice.
Mouse and nubs I don't find very nice, I use analogue stick on my wireless controller for oppWolf now, but it's not ideal, too slow moving from one far side to the other.

You can use mirrored (cloned) TV-out so you see the same thing on both screens, this way you can look at either of the screens while playing. touch screen will work fine while TV-Out is running.

@FZERO:

AFAIK light guns doesn't work with LCD screen. It can work with Pandora attached to CRT TV/monitor.

Please, change Your icon for something non-flashing (or slow down this animation's framerate <= 1 Hz). Always I try read sentences and Your icon is displayed, I must stop animation before continue read. It catching my eyes.

Sorry peca, have changed to a static.

I have an LCD telly like most, so no good then, I thought the old ps2 gcon2 worked on LCD without sensor bar though, probably had the bar though and I forgot, sure I used to use it on LCD though.

A wii remote and sensor would be perfect, as you can dock that into the gun case. I really hope that's possible and happens

Fzero said:
Sorry peca, have changed to a static.

I have an LCD telly like most, so no good then, I thought the old ps2 gcon2 worked on LCD without sensor bar though, probably had the bar though and I forgot, sure I used to use it on LCD though.

A wii remote and sensor would be perfect, as you can dock that into the gun case. I really hope that's possible and happens
Certainly possible... whether it happens depends if someone wants to port one of the wiimote libraries over to Pandora...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're willing to put up with a fat and slow library and runtime there's a cross-platform C# Wii remote library (linky: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Device_Library) that works with Mono. I'm using it on my Nokia n810 as the n810 doesn't have an accelerometer. It handles all the Wii remote's functions, including extensions, as far as I can tell.

I'm using C# because it's easy. I can develop/test on my Windows 7 machine in VS2008 then run the same binary on my n810 (well, almost, can't use mono's Sqlite on Windows for some reason) and I don't have to use GTK. I do have plans to re-do the project using Qt Creator but I'd rather be sure the idea will work before spending months learning C++ and then wading through the fairly terrible scratchbox documentation to cross-compile it.

It's situations like things that I'm glad I kept my old tv for oldscool gaming even after I got a flatscreen for my PS3. But as for the Pandora just give me touchscreen. We're already doing it on DS, I wouldnt mind playing Elemental Gearbolt by just tapping the things I want to die.

Back