Lexibook

hkipp

Still Fresh
Has anyone seen the new Lexibook Laptop (see here - ubergizmo or here - ToysRus) yet?

I managed to see one at Toys'R'Us in Munich yesterday. It is in fact a 266MHz ARM-based Laptop (not 400MHz - unless there are several versions) with 2GB of Nand (SSD) and 128MB RAM if I got it right. Unfortunately it runs Windows CE 5.0 :angry: (but it only has 3.5 hours battery life)...

I wonder if it could run *BSD or Linux as well... but display only has 800 x 400 and no touchscreen B)

For the price I'm not sure it is a very attractive alternative... but it'll be interesting to see what other ARM devices start coming out to compete with the Atom.

Prometheus said:
Argos in the UK have been carrying this device for a little while, too. It's the same price as a Pandora, though (and was formerly more)! :eek:

Considering that the Pandora is considerably more powerful, the only thing this thing has going for it is it's a netbook sized device. It's WinCE configuration doesn't buy much, nor does it's CPU, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Svartalf said:
Prometheus said:
Argos in the UK have been carrying this device for a little while, too. It's the same price as a Pandora, though (and was formerly more)! :eek:

Considering that the Pandora is considerably more powerful, the only thing this thing has going for it is it's a netbook sized device. It's WinCE configuration doesn't buy much, nor does it's CPU, really.

But you can easily get netbook sized device for the same price. Considering the other devices on the market I would say that the Lexibook would be competitive it was priced as a sub 100 euro device. Just taking out windows CE would save the company 50 euros in production cost.

pcklee123 said:
Svartalf said:
But you can easily get netbook sized device for the same price. Considering the other devices on the market I would say that the Lexibook would be competitive it was priced as a sub 100 euro device. Just taking out windows CE would save the company 50 euros in production cost.

I now found some more information about this - seems you get either 266MHz with 128MB RAM (at least Toys R Us in Germany) or 400MHz with 64MB RAM, which both seem to be very interesting combinations (the Pandora choice with 600MHz with 256MB RAM is of course a lot better) B)

I don't like the WinCE either, but at least it as a 'standard' OS with several application ready to run. Of course the price tag is a bit high (about 300€) and I'd love to see RiscOS on it instead :D but one can't have everything.

It might be interesting however to compare how compatible Pandora, Lexibook and other ARM-based devices actually are. A small OS that would run on all these devices could be a real advantage I think. And the more ARM-based systems are out there, the better :)

Back