Pandora Legend of Pandora

Oh and you should not commit executables like a.out!

You probably want to work a little on splitting your source up in separate files, isolating functionality. Having one giant wall of code doesn't not help readability.

* linked source file is for a game I ported with h4xxel.

I agree completely. I need to get comfortable with separating the code. I currently code in vim and would have to learn the gcc command to add the files. I will check out the source when I get to a computer.
If you want, I could create a Makefile with a bunch of comments to help you with that.

And, Ziz is right, as the executable will be changing in accordance with the source code, there's no need to include anything generated from the source in the directory.  It's generally a good idea to have binary files distributed via a website.  Usually, assets are not checked into version control systems along with the source (some developers use different repositories for documentation, source code, and assets) as creating the differences between binary files often ends up replacing the previous file instead of having a neat set of differences to apply when getting the latest version (plus, the size of the repository can get pretty large pretty quick if content is being changed frequently).

It would be my first time, but would you mind me contributing some music in ogg or mp3?

I play oozens of Instruments including some funny ones which may fit.
music would be awesome, the game is a Zelda clone so a retro sound would be preferable. I could support ogg but would most likely conveert the file to wav. If you want to be super-awesome you could check out MOD and retro tools like milky tracker.
SDL_mixer supports ogg so it's no effort to support that.

You can find nice MOD files on the Mod Archive (http://modarchive.org/), many of them have a Creative Commons license.

If you need some help with coding, I may be able to help.

It would be my first time, but would you mind me contributing some music in ogg or mp3?

music would be awesome, the game is a Zelda clone so a retro sound would be preferable. I could support ogg but would most likely conveert the file to wav. If you want to be super-awesome you could check out MOD and retro tools like milky tracker.
Oh, you strictly want computer generated/synthetical music. Count me out then.
Well it is an NES clone game. While I wouldn't mind completely that the music be real instruments the file size for the game would grow exponentially.

What I'm certainly lacking in is the ability to understand music composition. If you created music for the game I could potentially convert it to an NES sampled MOD. Even sheet music would be sufficient.

if there's no volcano, no flaming cars and no craiginator I'd be disapointed!
If you can subtle throw in the bank issues, Packages of parts delivered to the wrong house and Chinese new year delays too that would be awesome.
Well since it's an open source game the potential mix-ins are endless. It just depends on the interest of the community. The first step is to get the game into beta.

I am more and more wishing I had done an action punch-em up with craiginators and flaming vans and packages randomly appearing in doorsteps. Maybe that will be the next game. ;)

Oh and you should not commit executables like a.out!
I figured as much. I'm still learning git and manging files evades me at the moment. I need to spend more time with the tutorials.

You probably want to work a little on splitting your source up in separate files, isolating functionality. Having one giant wall of code doesn't not help readability.

* linked source file is for a game I ported with h4xxel.

I agree completely. I need to get comfortable with separating the code. I currently code in vim and would have to learn the gcc command to add the files. I will check out the source when I get to a computer.
If you want, I could create a Makefile with a bunch of comments to help you with that.

And, Ziz is right, as the executable will be changing in accordance with the source code, there's no need to include anything generated from the source in the directory.  It's generally a good idea to have binary files distributed via a website.  Usually, assets are not checked into version control systems along with the source (some developers use different repositories for documentation, source code, and assets) as creating the differences between binary files often ends up replacing the previous file instead of having a neat set of differences to apply when getting the latest version (plus, the size of the repository can get pretty large pretty quick if content is being changed frequently).
A make file would be awesome! I have been kicking myself for not making one earlier. I have also wanted to learn how to make a pandora binary. I figure when it's ready for more beta testing/opinions one would be made to distribute to those who are interested.

SDL_mixer supports ogg so it's no effort to support that.

You can find nice MOD files on the Mod Archive (http://modarchive.org/), many of them have a Creative Commons license.

If you need some help with coding, I may be able to help.
I'll take a look. This could work well. My only concern is that everything will be techno and nothing zeld/rpg sounding.

edit: lots of rpg stuff here actually, very cool.

I certainly need help separating/organising the files. If you know how to do that I would be grateful. Any code you submit as well is more than welcome. the TODO file has the list of things I'm trying to complete to get to beta.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I have the Linux version working with a Makefile (and have also created a directory structure which should help keep any platform-specific code separate).  I've also removed the a.out file and the other script files which were compiling the game before.  Right now, I'm commenting the Makefile and cleaning it up a bit.

Okay, I have the Linux version working with a Makefile (and have also created a directory structure which should help keep any platform-specific code separate).  I've also removed the a.out file and the other script files which were compiling the game before.  Right now, I'm commenting the Makefile and cleaning it up a bit.
Wow, this is awesome. I will check everything out and try to build it tomorrow. Thanks for the support! It's humbles me to see how much goes into a game. How many things I still have to learn. At first I think I'm awesome for installing Linux... then learning some c code... then my first sdl project... it just keeps going.

I was checking your project and noticed you had eight commits with each one deleting files from the repository, you can issue:

$ git rm file1

$ git rm file2

... and so on until you have deleted the files you don't need, then you can commit and the files will be removed in one commit rather than several.

I'd also recommend you tag your repository with a version number, which can be used in the script I created (gitversion.sh) to automatically generate a new build number.  Using:

$ git tag -a <release stage>_<major>.<minor>.<revision> -m "<release stage> <major>.<minor>.<revision>"

Where release stage is whatever you want to call the type of release, usually most projects just skip this and use the major.minor.revision build numbering.  I prefer to use the stages: prototype, alpha, beta, delta, gold.  Though you can use whatever you wish.  If you need help with merging the changes, you should try out the IRC on freenode (#openpandora on freenode.net).

I was checking your project and noticed you had eight commits with each one deleting files from the repository, you can issue:

$ git rm file1

$ git rm file2

... and so on until you have deleted the files you don't need, then you can commit and the files will be removed in one commit rather than several.

I'd also recommend you tag your repository with a version number, which can be used in the script I created (gitversion.sh) to automatically generate a new build number.  Using:

$ git tag -a <release stage>_<major>.<minor>.<revision> -m "<release stage> <major>.<minor>.<revision>"

Where release stage is whatever you want to call the type of release, usually most projects just skip this and use the major.minor.revision build numbering.  I prefer to use the stages: prototype, alpha, beta, delta, gold.  Though you can use whatever you wish.  If you need help with merging the changes, you should try out the IRC on freenode (#openpandora on freenode.net).
Thanks for this, I am taking note so I remember to really learn git. It's been a pleasure to use so far but I know absolutely nothing about it. My plan is that before I work on the code for LoP again that I will study git and get the version number set. After I'm confident in the basic usage (you will probably notice a few more ugly commits) I can confidently and cleanly commit new material to the project.

I have been in the irc channel before. I will try to remember to jump on there the next time I get some good desk time.

Reactions: ___
I'm a dick and took forever to get back to this project but it's going again.

qHp8cVW.png

https://gitlab.com/jagrell/legend-of-pandora

It's playable.. but I can't get it to work on the Pandora anymore. The player stopped rendering and the health doesn't work. I think it something to do with the gcc version.. maybe it doesn't support switch ranges?

The overworld works and there are now Trolls, Rats, Bats, and Ghosts (mostly with sound). The bosses have basic animations and are based on inside jokes... Count Van Fire, King Troll, Tempus all represent pieces of the Pandora and things that delayed it... van fires, forum trolls, and time delays. The "health" is hourglasses representing "Three Months" worth of time and of course, our hero, Ed is a play on Evil Dragon's handle.

The music is just a couple of tracks I pulled offline. I am not attached to them at all if someone wants their own music in there. I would rather contributions be from the community than anything else.

The score works and I will be going for an arcade-style difficulty where beating the game with a high score is difficult. That way leader boards mean something if that is implemented.

I have a blank cave in the beginning and I was thinking of putting a drunk what's-his-name in there who is asleep and does nothing to help you complete the Pandora... ideas welcome and sorry for the delay. I really do want to finish this project.

4 years. Still pretty fast according to our standarts.
That gitlab link wants me to sign in, can you upload it somewhere else?
Lets see if i can compile it somehow, i have tons of different gcc versions on tons of cards sooo...

No luck here.
The makefile gives errors, compiling the main.c gives an an error about an SDL part missing. And thats on the tower, who knows what happens on the pandora.
Also, if you want to share code with others you can sure make it easier by including a proper readme, depends, install instructions etc. Like its not even clear if this is SDL 1 or 2 until you try to compile it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I will have to add some aids. I didn't even think about that since it's just been me working on the project.
It uses SDL 1.2 for the basics, SDL_mixer and libmad for audio. If there were any issues compiling missing those libraries probably caused it.
The game compiles on my pandora and sound and music work. For some reason though the health system doesn't work and the character's coordinates are broken.
The only thing I can think of is the source is using newer C features that gcc 4 doesn't understand properly.

Currently I am trying to get the SDL libraries compiled in cross-compiler setup from these forums. If I can get the cross-compiler working I can just transfer the binary to the Pandora itself.

Thanks for looking into it for me. Sorry for an amateur setup, I'm still learning programming and development.

I don't know if it's THE bug, but there's a bug in main.c on line 1798.
Instead of
Code:
for (o=0; o <= MAXMONSTER; o++) {
the code should be
Code:
for (o=0; o < MAXMONSTER; o++) {

I don't know if it's THE bug, but there's a bug in main.c on line 1798.
Instead of
Code:
for (o=0; o <= MAXMONSTER; o++) {
the code should be
Code:
for (o=0; o < MAXMONSTER; o++) {

I will change that line, thank you!

https://u4e.us/d/LoP.zip
https://u4e.us/d/LoP.zip
I think that did it! Thank you @M-HT it is now playing on the Pandora again. :D

I have posted the link to the current alpha build. It has the binary already in it and ready to go. You should be able to just unzip the folder and navigate to the bin folder. From there just ./LoP and go nuts.

Anybody who could try out the overworld and let me know their thoughts I would appreciate it. You CAN go down in the boss caves but you will be stunned for five seconds before you can move and there is no way out. You do get to see an un-animated King Troll in one of the caves and the missing parts of the Pandora light up... so I suppose there is something.

Thanks again to everyone!

Just tried it on my pandora. It works well and all of the assets fit together nicely. I hope this becomes a Pyra launch title.

Back