Led Modification

Paradox

oh em gee
Website
Visit site
i want to change my LED's, ive used a soldering iron before, i shouldnt think it would be too hard to tease the old leds off and solder new ones into place, but do the leds need to be of a certain type or anything? first time really messing round with switching leds on hardware so i have no idea if it will work or ill just break them.

what colours do you think, i was going for blue as the power light, and maybe orange as the low battery light?

Changing the LEDs shouldn't be a problem, Not sure if you know this, but just make sure to solder it into the board the correct way round or it will not light up at all. The original LEDs should have a flat edge on one side to show you the correct way round.

Blue for power sounds a bit bright to me though, unless your thinking of dropping the voltage?

i think it needs to be a bit brighter myself, i have a 2nd edition so the leds have that white cover so theyre clouded, i can barely even see my red battery led (when it actually decides to turn on)

maybe i could try hacking it up a bit more and sticking some leds under the speakers or something, maybe near the buttons so the buttons look like they have a backlit, not sure if theres enough room though dont remember.
heck, maybe if i wanted too i could cut a hole in the back somewhere and fit in a switch for the other leds... ;o

like to see other people try this too and hear any other ideas

i tried. the voltages arent high enough to power a blue led - well, a standard 5mm one atleast(thats all i had). i dunno if you recall, but some guy did do it. im not sure wether or not he removed a resistor or not, as there were no descriptive photos, and his english was very bad.

Give it a shot. hope you can figure it out - im too lazy.

the green and red leds on my gp2x arent put in right, it doesnt show just the top, they are crooked ><

SMC components?

see, this is what i meant in the first post..there are things i might be unaware of :)

triton posted on Mar 4 2006 at 06:40 AM said:
the green and red leds on my gp2x arent put in right, it doesnt show just the top, they are crooked ><
Mine were pointing away from the holes in the case too. You just need to open the case up and bend them a little towards the bottom.

They still won't fit exactly as they are mounted at a kind of funny angle but you should at least be able to see them.

Last edited by a moderator:
5465756e posted on Mar 4 2006 at 12:20 PM said:
Maybe you should check if the leds are SMC components.

They are not, they are standard LEDs. The board doesn't come close enough to the front of the case to do that, so GPH solder them to the board upside down on some really long legs, and then bend them up into a place you can see them. The is why they look strange to some people.

I always wondered why my leds are bent at about a 45 degree angle. It just looks a bit tacky

even if you do take your unit apart and bend the leds back, its hard to get the thing back together without knocking the leds out of place again, im guessing this is how it happened at the sweat shop when they where putting them together.

Paradox posted on Mar 5 2006 at 06:56 AM said:
even if you do take your unit apart and bend the leds back, its hard to get the thing back together without knocking the leds out of place again, im guessing this is how it happened at the sweat shop when they where putting them together.
very true. very true.

Back