Lcd Screen Bad?

cribe

Still Fresh
Hi All,

I just got my brand new gp2x and boy was I happy...well until I fired up the thing.

It boots just fine it's just the screen seems to have lines in it top to bottom and left to right. Kinda like a big cross in the middle. Kinda hard to explain withough a pic (I will try to post one later). The problem is more apparent on black screens the lines are actually a fainter black than the rest. The standard menus do flicker a bit at the top but the problem becomes more apparent as time goes by and starts to be apparent even in the colors (games, main menu etc).

Any ideas why? I read a post that the cpu frequency could be the reason.
Should I return the unit for another one? :angry:

I am running version 1.2.1

Please help :(
Chris

The "scanlines". This is being worked on and should be corrected in the next firmware release next month. In the meantime, there are other firmware upgrades that enable LCD display adjustment. Please search the forums for info about firmware upgrades.

Can someone else offer some more guidance?

wipeout2000 posted on Mar 24 2006 at 04:31 PM said:
mine doesnt have that problem. you might want to think about returning it and getting another one.

I do not know if this is a "scanline" problem... do "scanlines" move? Mine don't they are just constant lines. I really hope I do not have to return it cuz I got from California and I live in Canada! It's going to take at least 2 weeks!

Anyway thanks for the comments. I will post a pic when I get home (at work right now gotta go.)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not the scanline thing it is the high contrast ghost issue. If you have a bright white square on a black background you will have faint "ghost lines" the same width of the square going both horizontal and vertical.

I have seen this in a couple of cases.

one, the original first edtion units had a resistor that was the wrong value and caused it.

The other case is when a firmware flash failed/was done wrong where the kernal and the app versions didn't match. I had a 1.2.1 FW unit and tried to update to 1.4. It updated the apps but it just deleted the kernal img file without updating. I had this problem after that. I just downgraded the apps to a matching 1.2.1 and it worked fine.

i hate to ask
but are you sure you removed the plastic on the screen protector?

pantera6 posted on Mar 24 2006 at 07:32 PM said:
i hate to ask
but are you sure you removed the plastic on the screen protector?

Yeap I sure did, I first noticed that the screen was all scratched then I calmed down and pealed it off. :D
Ok here is a pic of my GP2x in test mode full black screen:

Notice how the top text is over a nice black backgroud but the bottom part has all theses white lines crossing each other. On a gray backgroud it does not show of course but other dark colors do...

Will an upgrade fix this or should I return?
Thanks for all the support!
Chris

----- Update -----
Oh just tested the Atari800 emulator from : Gp2x Atari 800 emu (wiki) and the problem seems to get worse after running it...humm speed issue?
Here is another pic after running a game with the Atari 800 emu:

Chris

mat_basset posted on Mar 25 2006 at 05:43 AM said:
wow yes i would return it!!

Yep finally got a reply from my distributor gp32z.com and I have sent it back... :(
It's going to take at least 20 days to and back! I live in Montreal and the distributor in California DOW! Hope the replacement unit is OK :blink:

Anyway thank you for the support really appreciated the quick replies!

Chris

cribe posted on Apr 4 2006 at 12:45 PM said:
mat_basset posted on Mar 25 2006 at 05:43 AM said:
wow yes i would return it!!

Yep finally got a reply from my distributor gp32z.com and I have sent it back... :(
It's going to take at least 20 days to and back! I live in Montreal and the distributor in California DOW! Hope the replacement unit is OK :blink:

Anyway thank you for the support really appreciated the quick replies!

Chris

Dam still waiting I think canada post lost it! :angry:
And I cannot event get an email back from support@gp32z.com to see if they received it or not!!!

I am so pissed right now..... <_<
Chris

cribe posted on Apr 28 2006 at 12:21 PM said:
And I cannot event get an email back from support@gp32z.com to see if they received it or not!!!

Chris

You should have been informed, this type of service is simply unacceptable. (I purchased from Play-Asia, it worked 100%, and their customer support is top notch. They speak english better than most of my buddies down hall.)

I wouldnt send it back just yet, upgrade to 1.4 or 2.0 first and try different tft settings, chances are quite good that you can get it away with other settings.
Also you could just use the lcd tweaker to try other settings, you dont have to upgrade for that.

Vimacs posted on Apr 28 2006 at 11:57 PM said:
I wouldnt send it back just yet, upgrade to 1.4 or 2.0 first and try different tft settings, chances are quite good that you can get it away with other settings.
Also you could just use the lcd tweaker to try other settings, you dont have to upgrade for that.

He already sent it back, like 20 days ago...

I find it best to just keep nagging gp32z with emails and better yet try to ketch him on AIM, his name is gp32z.

My first unit got bricked and I was able to return it and get a new one, just took some effort. I also had a faulty tv-out cable and they sent me a brand new one without me even sending the other back.

Crazy Goat posted on Apr 28 2006 at 10:50 PM said:
cribe posted on Apr 28 2006 at 12:21 PM said:

Chris

You should have been informed, this type of service is simply unacceptable. (I purchased from Play-Asia, it worked 100%, and their customer support is top notch. They speak english better than most of my buddies down hall.)

Yeah you are right this type of service sucks. They say 48 hours before they reply to their emails but now this is ridiculous! How much time did it take you to get your unit from Play-Asia? If my unit has been lost I think I will go with them. I am getting the impression that gp32z.com is run by a teenager from a basement, shouldn’t my unit have been tested before they sent it off to me?

Thanks chris

reallynotnick posted on Apr 29 2006 at 12:14 PM said:
Vimacs posted on Apr 28 2006 at 11:57 PM said:

He already sent it back, like 20 days ago...

I find it best to just keep nagging gp32z with emails and better yet try to ketch him on AIM, his name is gp32z.

My first unit got bricked and I was able to return it and get a new one, just took some effort. I also had a faulty tv-out cable and they sent me a brand new one without me even sending the other back.

Thanks for the info I will download Gaim and try to catch him on AIM. Dang barley got the time to play with it now I have to run after the guy!
Thanks again

I am getting the impression that gp32z.com is run by a teenager from a basement <- it basicialy is, but whats wrong with that?

Back