Release L'Aigle d'Or

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is L'Aigle d'Or, an old Adventure game from 1984.

preview1.png

This is the Oric 1 version (the original), remade in C. It feature a faster gameplay, better sound, save states, and an English translation.

This game is (like most of the early game) very difficult, and it's one of the first adventure games that was not Textual. One true classic!

History log

==========

Build 01

-----------

• Initial build

Last edited by a moderator:
The oric 1 had weird graphics apparently. Three colour characters with space-taking control characters, it seems?

Edit: Or maybe not space-taking control chatacters. I've just looked a the vid in motion and it looks to be able t switch palettes at the character boundary without an extra space. Guess it's just the way the engine renders the character that we've apparently got extra space in that screenshot.

one of the first adventure games that was not Textual
Too many graphics.  Give me text! :p

This is appreciated.  I will try to play it (as well as all your recent updates) on a road trip I will be taking today.

It's harder than I thought. Finally found a key, but now I need to write down all commands because I forget how to pick it up...

It's harder than I thought. Finally found a key, but now I need to write down all commands because I forget how to pick it up...
Yep. They are base on the french words, like Pickup is "P" as Prendre, but before picking up, you need to crouch with A like Accroupir (and than Space to stand up again)

I remapped mine so that I wouldn't forget them.  I am still having trouble with doing much of anything.  I suppose I didn't spend as much time as I could have, since after I started to figure things out and make progress I stopped playing.  It is a tough one.  My best moment so far was just after I thought "Hey, I wonder what that little spot on the ground is".  I will get back to it after I get done going through everything I have on my card and removing stuff I don't use or play.

base on the french work
Yeah, I noticed when quitting. The question is a Y/N, but you need to type O/N (oui/non). Thanks for the hints, will continue where I left of (there is a good save option).

The Oric suffered from attribute clash - an attribute char had to precede each color change, and there was a limit to how many alternating colors you can get.. although the new developers keeping the Oric scene alive figured out how to use this attribute system in a different way which gave better results - you can see this "AIC mode" in modern games, like Pulsoids, School Daze, Impossible Mission, and so on .. a nice demo is Pulsoids: 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/biF73Sch7Ig?feature=oembed

Its nice to see this game on the Pandora!  Although you can play the original with the Oric/Atmos emulator on the Pandora too .. 

Got it compiled and running, just need to test it a bit more and eventully tweak the settings and package it up.

Not true, I actually ported it years ago!   :)  I don't know why it was deleted from the repo .. but it was definitely up there (because I've also got my old .pnd on my Pandora too) .. anyway, it should be very easy to build for the Pandora, I added Pandora support to the main Oriculator sources as well (I'm ibisum) .. so ED, if you've got a build for it already do you want to add it to the repo, or would you like me to take it over again?  

EDIT: I found my original port announcement over at gp32x.de:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54260-pandoricutron-108/

And here's a direct link to the .pnd file:

http://w1xer.at/pandora/PandOricutron_108.pnd

Its an older version but still works - I'll try to build a newer .pnd for us from the latest Oricutron sources and see if it works - but in the meantime feel free to play with that one! 

EDIT++: In case you didn't know, I'm a huge Oric/Atmos fanboix, I've got a Cumulus and a Telestrat and I'm not afraid to use them!   :)  Would be great to know of other Oric fans in the Pandora scene .. we Oric users have been getting some *great* releases for our platform lately, from the scene'sters at Defence Force and elsewhere .. if you haven't checked it out already, there's this nice entry from the Global Game Jam, "Weekend in Oslo":

http://globalgamejam.org/2015/games/weekend-oslo

And don't forget to check out the Top 100 releases here

http://www.oric.org/index.php?page=software&fille=top150gamesoverall

The top 20 games contain a lot of *NEW STUFF* written specifically for the Oric in the last decade, which also exploits the new AIC video mode - meaning a whole new generation of great-looking games for the Oric.  If only we'd cottoned onto AIC back in the 80's!!! :p

Well, my build works, but I have to figure out how to load tape files and many commercial disks report a "WARNING! DOS has been changed" (or something similar).

Need to find out how to fix that and how controls could be optimized. Never had an Oric, so I need to get into the system.

Use the F1 key to access the menu, ED, then you can load tapes and disks from there.  "WARNING! DOS altered" is okay - this means that you're running a DOS that takes over the upper 16k of RAM and its a warning in case you try to run games that use it (not many).  We Oric users are used to that message, it doesn't mean anything - thats why its just a warning.

So if you're interested, I'll just let you publish the new PND then?  Or I can do it - I've already gotten permission from some Oric software authors to include some software .. 

I know how to access the menu, otherwise I couldn't insert disks or tapes.

Hmm, but it seems that when the warning message comes, nothing happens anymore. I've been waiting 40 seconds without any change, whereas disks where that warning doesn't appear usually start within 15 seconds.

Also, how do I load a tape after I've inserted it?

Back