Lack Of Some Good Game Genres Species

Q

quasist

For instance, all "car simulation" is more likely "Mario Cart simulation".
Some sort of strategy Warcraft III I believe is technicaly possible with Voxel graphics like seen in Hexplore(PC).
RPG is best on GP2X, since Final Fantasy 1-6(soon 7-9) is fully playable. Very nice port of NetHack and Dos-
Boxing other RogueLikes with USB keyboard.
Arcade genre on GP2X is most over other consoles level.

I hope GBAX one day will solve our hunger..

Make them? You state that you're okay with programming and you seem to have a desire for driving games...

wow this is one of the most incomprehensible posts ive seen. overall what i get out of it is a complaint that we need better games.

and that gp2x gamers are hungry and don't eat a balanced diet of voxels or something

yeah warcraft 3... right and who is going to design the levels, tiles, graphics, polygons, write an engine that runs fast enough on the gp2x, write a scripting engine for the levels, write the AI which should be vastly complicated, do game balance and get it all going for free and just because you demand it?

Seriously, people need to learn that computer and video games are hard work and that source code doesn't grow on trees. Have a look at Sqdef. That is a towerdefense game with abstract graphics which will be released in this gbax compo and should be another interesting strategy game to add to the list. It's really professionally made. Also there is that commercial RTS that came out a while ago called retrovirus RTS. There is a demo of that on the archive. Oh and you need to BUY it if you want to play the real thing... and you know why? Because it took a lot of effort and not every developer is willing to give away free games to people likely to not even thank them.

EDIT: I just realized that you, Quasist, are actually going to release something for the gbax compo. You should know then how hard it is to program an extensive real time strategy game then, let alone in 3D. Also a decent car racing simulation as you seem to expect is really not that easily done. How will you do physics with no fpu? Eventhough there were really promising attempts even in 3D for that. Wonder what happened to that project btw.

I created topic hoping for forum users to post the game genres, not the skeptical sights on gp2x hardware. I think every game genre requires itself a topic where could be useful development information collected.

2xnopasaranx
You correct - I wrote something to GBAX and it is not a puzzle game(only if some won't make it through friendly interface). I hope it will be a supersurprise...(even for me)

Back