Kyrandia With Mt 32 Sound

Ravippe

Still Fresh
I love the game the Legend of kyrandia

I am currently using scumm vm on my gp2x wiz

I have been playing with the settings for days and cant seem to select a mt 32 driver option
however it has a emualtor mt 32 mode for the roland sound. You check the box and wow, you should get sound right?
no you still get the crappy adlib sound that the game it playable with, but not comparible with the mt 32 sound.

some guy did it so it worked with his PSP

My link

Now i know its possible, and you dont need to have a mt32 device

I think he used some type of patch to scummvm and then copied some audio files to the directory.

I tried something similar but cant get it to work

I know some games i tried like simon the sorcerer 2 for example does play on mt 32 and adlib so i know im getting something

I also made sure i put the two roland drivers mt32----.rom or something in the main directory of the games.

So the question is.

Load up kyrandia, in scumm, get better sound if you can and post how to did it.

If you want to see what the sound should sound like load it up in the windows version of scummvm and select the mt32 under the audio driver
you will see about the difference in sound. The bleep bleep sounds like a harp/flute/etc.

:) thanks alot

Last edited by a moderator:
The PSP patch uses recordings of the MT-32 sound and plays them instead of adlib/MIDI. MT-32 emulation needs some serious CPU power and is way more than the likes of a PSP can cope with. The patch should run on GP2x but you'd need to compile the scummVM GP2x port with the patch. Unless someone gets the latest scummVM version working it would need tweaking to work with the older release as well. It wouldn't be hard for anyone who knows some C++ as all the work is already done. The difficult bit would be compiling scummVM in the first place.

The source code and audio are at http://www.pix.oneuk.com if anyone wanted to give it a go.

Pix said:
The PSP patch uses recordings of the MT-32 sound and plays them instead of adlib/MIDI. MT-32 emulation needs some serious CPU power and is way more than the likes of a PSP can cope with. The patch should run on GP2x but you'd need to compile the scummVM GP2x port with the patch. Unless someone gets the latest scummVM version working it would need tweaking to work with the older release as well. It wouldn't be hard for anyone who knows some C++ as all the work is already done. The difficult bit would be compiling scummVM in the first place.

The source code and audio are at http://www.pix.oneuk.com if anyone wanted to give it a go.

Can you explain the older release needing tweaking with the patch? From my knowledge scummvm for gp2x wiz is in version 1.0.0
i think that have like a 1.1.0 which is not ported yet. But if im not mistaken, i dont think you used the new one for kyrandia mt32 sound because
it was just released.

It would be nice if i could get better sound out of a game i like. I wish i could program.

One other thing, how come other games in scumm like simon the sorcerer for example or loom work with enhanced ogg audio tracks
they where never designed for the game in the first place, yet magically scumm seems to allow them to work. Why is kyrandia so different?
Couldnt the same technique or some tweak to some config file or some extension setting like scummvm.exe -read ogg*.* or something.

this might allow it to work without needing a patch. Im sure this is NO but its bugging me seeing you play it, and i cant!

haahah

AFAIK there aren't any other enhanced soundtracks for Loom. There were various versions on CD so they play the CD audio - I expect you are using one of them. You could swap the CD audio files if you wanted to change the audio in these games easily enough.

Simon The Sorcerer 1 support was added by the scummVM team. A guy called James Woodcock did the soundtrack for that and a few other games. Code to support these soundtracks had to be added into scummVM which is why those work. You can't just drop ogg's in and expect them to work without the code there to play them. The difference with those games and Legend Of Kyrandia is that EA are nowhere near helpful enough to give official permission to use the Kyrandia soundtrack. I did try to get support added to the official build ages back but it wasn't going to happen for that reason.

The PSP patch is currently running off the latest SVN (1.2.0). It would definitely need some tweaking to work with an older version. Kyrandia worked with 1.0.0 at the time but I don't keep the old patches. It really wouldn't be hard to get it running on the wiz but since I don't own one myself it's not going to be me that does the work.

Pix said:
AFAIK there aren't any other enhanced soundtracks for Loom. There were various versions on CD so they play the CD audio - I expect you are using one of them. You could swap the CD audio files if you wanted to change the audio in these games easily enough.

Simon The Sorcerer 1 support was added by the scummVM team. A guy called James Woodcock did the soundtrack for that and a few other games. Code to support these soundtracks had to be added into scummVM which is why those work. You can't just drop ogg's in and expect them to work without the code there to play them. The difference with those games and Legend Of Kyrandia is that EA are nowhere near helpful enough to give official permission to use the Kyrandia soundtrack. I did try to get support added to the official build ages back but it wasn't going to happen for that reason.

The PSP patch is currently running off the latest SVN (1.2.0). It would definitely need some tweaking to work with an older version. Kyrandia worked with 1.0.0 at the time but I don't keep the old patches. It really wouldn't be hard to get it running on the wiz but since I don't own one myself it's not going to be me that does the work.

Back