Kernel Module Build With 2.0.0 Release

gmiller1018

Website
Visit site
I am trying to build a module for the 2.0.0 release and am having trouble with what I think is the tool setup or it could be the source I am working with. Any suggestion would be welcome.

The tools are running on linux and I install the 2.95.3 gcc (per the wiki) and set up the environment variables accoding to the names of the utilities (arm-elf- ... gcc and so on).

I go the source from the subversion site using subversion. I left the .config as is and tried to build some modules and the make dep fails with a number of errors that make me believe that I aam using the wrong tool chain.

I did have the ELDK 4.0 installed and the path working with it but I remove those from my paath before trying this.

I there is a better document or a more up to date one just point me at it and I will go away.

I am attempting to build a module to support a USB network adapter that uses the RT2571WF chip set so my GP2X can be wireless. I have tested the driver under linux on an X86 machine and have changed the portions of the code that were not architecture independent. Since I can get the modules to build I assume that the driver build failures at this point MAY not be the driver code. This code is supposed to build under 2.4 and 2.6 (tested 2.6) so I am stalled at this point.

Thanks ...

cheap-plastic posted on Sep 25 2006 at 08:02 AM said:
michu posted on Sep 25 2006 at 07:36 AM said:
hey gary

I posted a tutorial about this topic here:

HOW TO BUILD KERNEL MODULES

hope it helps, cheers

The toolchain mentioned there is also corrupted :( . Seems like more big files on gp2x.de got damaged then...

argh, true.. i'll see if I can re-upload it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help ... I figured based on the errors I just had the wrong tools. I am playing with my environment setup this morning on my linux box to see if the arm-elf stuff I loaded would work (the gcc is the correct version).

Still missing the tools for the kernel module build. I checked the gp2xdev-20060525.tar.bz2 and they are not the correct ones. I have tried the latest tools from ELDK but they complain as well. I am going to see if their older version will work.

Gary Miller posted on Sep 25 2006 at 01:07 PM said:
Still missing the tools for the kernel module build. I checked the gp2xdev-20060525.tar.bz2 and they are not the correct ones. I have tried the latest tools from ELDK but they complain as well. I am going to see if their older version will work.

just re-download the toolchain, ed fixed the download.

cheers

What Wifi-adapter are you trying to use?

I have a linksys WUSB54G here with an RT2500-USB chipset, so I might also look into making modules for it :)

Gary Miller posted on Sep 26 2006 at 08:08 PM said:
The RT flavor driver directly from the RT73 seems to cover a number of them like that. I am using the Xterasys XN-3135G with the RT2571WF chipset. I have built ans tested the code on 2.6 with my laptop and the code Claims to work with 2.4 but that is where the build toolkit issue came in.

Driver at: http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

FYI, you could also try the 'opensourced' drivers at http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page :)

cheap-plastic posted on Sep 26 2006 at 04:14 PM said:
Gary Miller posted on Sep 26 2006 at 08:08 PM said:
The RT flavor driver directly from the RT73 seems to cover a number of them like that. I am using the Xterasys XN-3135G with the RT2571WF chipset. I have built ans tested the code on 2.6 with my laptop and the code Claims to work with 2.4 but that is where the build toolkit issue came in.

Driver at: http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

FYI, you could also try the 'opensourced' drivers at http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page :)

The current issues with wireless drivers for linux is the 2.4 to 2.6 kernel version issue and the chipset issue. I tried to get a Prism chipset USB wireless stick but most of them had switched chipsets so their were not drivers for the chipset being shipped. The current chipset's that have drivers for USB wireless are the RALINK, Prism, and (another one that escapes me now). There are lots that will work with wrapper code but that works on on Intel platforms.

Thanks for the info, I will check to see if this adds to my current knowledge.

Back