Jxd 301

yup you got me, i've never seen that Gemei player before, let us know if the player yo have is a blackfin, i've been looking for a cheap generic blackfin player to add to my site.

Au contraire, you were right. I opened it up and it turned out to be a sunplus. I'll make it into something interesting someday :) I rechecked my info and it turns out some crappy chinese site was lying about the stuff they were selling.

Interestingly enough, the capabilities of this player are comparable to a GP32 (8mb ram, ARM9 @ up to 184mhz).

I've been trying to find a cheap BF531 based player and found that www.i-yotta.com sells 2gb V1000's for 119usd including shipping (EMS?) wich comes down to roughly 80 euros. Personally I'd pay a few extra bucks and go for a JXD301.

There's also a french shop here that sells gemei X720's for 100 euros.

If you want to stock up on more blackfin devices, maybe you can check if you can find 1gb versions of these older models for a fair price. If not, then maybe the gemei x760 is nice for gaming as it's basically the same as a JXD301.

Not only the TMS looks nice, it also seems it has L+R shoulder buttons !

I've got the feelling we'll assist to an invasion of blackfin powered devices soon. I just ordered the JXD 301 (the mp4nation.net christmas pack, plus the 5$ coupon made the deal for me ;)), hope I won't regret it too early because of smarter and better PMPs in just a few months or weeks ...

In particular, if I had heard of the gemei X720 before, I might have hesitated, especially since there is this french site who sells them for cheap. And camcording is always a nice feature to have, in particular in such devices :) However there is something I do not really understand, you said your X720 was not a blackfin but a sunplus ?

BTW, I am amazed by the quality of the automatic translation from chinese to english ...

I've got the feelling we'll assist to an invasion of blackfin powered devices soon. I just ordered the JXD 301 (the mp4nation.net christmas pack, plus the 5$ coupon made the deal for me ;)), hope I won't regret it too early because of smarter and better PMPs in just a few months or weeks ...

Do not worry, the screen alone is worth the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inopia: Not surprised that it was Sunplus. Sunplus is a very commonly used chipset for players that have camera and tv in. However don't be too disheartened, Sunplus player have very good video playback (especially for Xvid and Divx file formats).

chaos engineer is correct, the LTPS screens are amazing, not just on the JXD, but in general.

BTW people on our forums have confirmed you can use 8GB SDHC Cards, we have a on going thread of users posting which brands and type work with the JXD.

Any idea what the JXD 652 uses? It appears to be the same design as the 301 except it has a camera.

migo said:
Any idea what the JXD 652 uses? It appears to be the same design as the 301 except it has a camera.
If you download the firmware from the JXD site you'll see it's not a blackfin device. Blackfin devices have .ldr files for their firmware updates. The 652 is an arm based device afaik.

Inopia said:
migo said:
If you download the firmware from the JXD site you'll see it's not a blackfin device. Blackfin devices have .ldr files for their firmware updates. The 652 is an arm based device afaik.

No not all blackfin players have their firmware in that way. The SmartQ T5, which uses a ADI chip, has their firmware quite different. Then again it seems like the T5 doesn't use the same generic out of the box firmware that the Gemei X760, Jxd 301 and Ainol V2000 all use.

BTW there are people on our forums making themes for the 301 and theres even a program out to alter the start up screen.

Where can you download this different firmware? I find it unlikely that they don't use an ldr since that is the format the bootloader embedded in the chip itself knows how to handle - I think it has to be used for all boots from flash.

I've had some success making my own ldr for the 301 (not much of an achievement, the format is simple - it just took a while to find the tools needed and get the toolchain working correctly), but I've not actually managed to get my own code to do anything (hopefully when my Wiggler arrives ;)).

I've been thinking of picking this up for a friend. How are the controls when compared to the F200? Can it handle the large Neo Geo Games? Any ports of MAME or Doom on it yet?

thatMP4guy said:
BTW people on our forums have confirmed you can use 8GB SDHC Cards, we have a on going thread of users posting which brands and type work with the JXD.
you can use 8gb sdhc cards in the jxd. However, it seems that the devise is only able to access the first 4gb, the rest is distorted

@Vince: emulation is not very good at the moment. the neo geo emulators of the psp and the gp2x are far better. no mame, no doom. No homebrew at the moment for the jxd because the firmware is not yet dismantled, but apparently some devs are working on it. the controls are o.k., but the shoulder buttons are missing.

I like the device cause the screen is amazing and it is really tiny. However, I use it mostly to watch podcasts and as an mp3 player.

According to this the JXD 301 was discontinued.
Does somebody know more about it? What is the reason?

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
According to this the JXD 301 was discontinued.
Does somebody know more about it? What is the reason?

Regards,
Stephan

These Chinese MP4 players come and go almost weekly it seems. That is why I didn't know why some around here were so mental for it.

Yes, indeed. That seems to be the biggest disadvantage of this products: Their often limited lifespan...

DaveC said:
That is why I didn't know why some around here were so mental for it.
No, you were moaning because you were worried you'd get no emulators for your precious little GP2X. But don't worry, the JXD301 is 100% compatible with the Gemei x760 (and nearly compatible with the Ainol V2000), so our work will not be in vain!

The jxd console doesn't look interest at all i would never replace my gp2x f-200 with jxd it just doesn't have the potential of gp2x f-200 the jxd is only a console and that's it the gp2x f-200 and gp2x cradle is the double the magic if i wanted to buy another console it should have thing like gp2x cradle otherwise we are taking a one step backwards.

sukhigp said:
The jxd console doesn't look interest at all i would never replace my gp2x f-200 with jxd it just doesn't have the potential of gp2x f-200 the jxd is only a console and that's it the gp2x f-200 and gp2x cradle is the double the magic if i wanted to buy another console it should have thing like gp2x cradle otherwise we are taking a one step backwards.
Say that 20 times fast?

Back