3ds to 3ds xl transfer help

in3D

I want to transfer my data from 3ds to 3ds xl, but... the xl comes with a 3d video preinstalled. I want both the video and my old data from the original 3ds. So, here's what i'm thinking:

1. Perform transfer from 3ds to xl to give data rights (encryption key)
  2. Remove 2gb card from 3ds, and 4gb card from xl
  3. Back up both cards
  4. Some how mix the data from both cards

The 3ds sd filesystem is well documented here.

Does anyone have an idea?

Here is a transfer guide.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/07/guide_3ds_xl_system_transfer

Before you start, back up your OG 3DS sd card on to your PC, and then you can begin. It doesn't matter what is currently on the XL, everything will be transfered to the XL and the OG unit will be wiped clean and restored to factory settings. Durring this process, I believe the sd card in the XL will also be wiped clean as well, since once the transfer is done, you move your OG sd card to the XL. If you want to use the bigger XL sd card, just use your PC to transfer the files from the OG card to the new 4GB one(or a bigger card if you prefer, I'm using a 8GB myself).

The process for me took about 30-40 minutes from start to finish. If at some point your connection is lost during the transfer, or something goes wrong, don't worry, any dsi or e-shop games that you have had in the past can be redownloaded once everything is complete. I was lucky, and mine worked perfectly on the first try, and I didn't need to do anything else, but others have ran in to issues that seem to be easily corrected.

Good luck!

Chris

What about the 3d video on the xl? I want to keep that and you said it would be erased.

What about the 3d video on the xl? I want to keep that and you said it would be erased.
So you never had that on your OG 3DS? I had deleted mine from my OG awhile back, and once I did the transfer I had the icon back on my 3DS XL, but I can't say for sure if it was there before my transfer or not, but when I finally tried to run it on my XL, it had to redownload the software, as I no longer had it on my OG(so I guess it couldn't transfer the program directly from the OG), as I coudn't download it directly from the e-shop.

So you may have to search for a little more info on that one, as I can't say for sure how you would be able to take it from the XL and keep it. My guess would be that the transfer also makes sure that the XL keeps any factory given software after the transfer, as that would explain why I had it on my XL but I no longer had it on my OG before I did my transfer.

Chris

The xl comes with a dinosaur office episode. Are you saying that I should do the transfer like normal and I'll be able to keep it?

The xl comes with a dinosaur office episode. Are you saying that I should do the transfer like normal and I'll be able to keep it?
Technically, it is a default program on your XL, so in theory it should work, but I can't say 100% that it will.

Before I did my transfer, I didn't check to see if it was on my OG unit, but I had removed it a few months ago, and once I did my transfer the icon was on my XL. So perhaps it's a default program on the XL(and maybe the OG), and like some of Apples apps on the iphone/ipod, it can't be completely removed.

Chris

Just doing a plain transfer kept the video. Thanks for the help!

Back