Just Got The Gp2x Breakout Board....

ljones

Hello all :)

I Just recently bought the breakout board, and while it seems to be working fine (though I wish it had come in a case!) I just have a couple of questions to ask. I've tried the USB ports on the breakout board and found some thing to work ok, while other things didn't seem to want to know at all.

I had success with a plain old boring 128MB USB memory stick, and I had some success with a USB2IDE converter and an external hard drive. I also tried a USB keyboard which seemed to act odd -- the cursor keys and return would work, but only in the first (main) menu, after that they seemed to stop working until I returned to the main menu (and it's a pity the C64 emulators don't support a USB keyboard!). I also tried a USB cd-writer (which I know will work under gnu/linux) and it didn't work at all :( (just reading CDs that is, not burning a cd!).

Can the breakout board only be used with USB memory devices and nothing else?

ljones

ljones posted on Oct 14 2006 at 09:18 AM said:
I had success with a plain old boring 128MB USB memory stick, and I had some success with a USB2IDE converter and an external hard drive. I also tried a USB keyboard which seemed to act odd -- the cursor keys and return would work, but only in the first (main) menu, after that they seemed to stop working until I returned to the main menu (and it's a pity the C64 emulators don't support a USB keyboard!). I also tried a USB cd-writer (which I know will work under gnu/linux) and it didn't work at all :( (just reading CDs that is, not burning a cd!).

Can the breakout board only be used with USB memory devices and nothing else?

ljones
Since most programs have been using the GP2X file-system and the unit controls, those are supported.
The GP2X will auto-mount USB sticks and drives to the filesystem, so those are fine.

The programs need to have support for USB input devices, if they don't have support already you will just have to wait. Many programs do have support for USB Joysticks or mice, but not all do.

Edit, the firmware is really due for a new release soon, but we will see when it arrives what it will fix.

You will need to see if the CD-Drive is recognized in the boot process, then you will need to mount it's filesystem, I don't know what you need for that (A module maybe?, for filesystem support)

I think it is funny that you know that your cd-writer will work under GNU/Linux and yet you seem to have no concept of operating systems and drivers as seperate from hardware such as USB devices.

You now have a software issue, "every" USB 1.1 compatible device should work, provided the software is written.

(obviously devices that require a lot of processing power wouldn't work, but they are usually USB 2.0 anyway :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
ljones posted on Oct 14 2006 at 05:18 PM said:
I also tried a USB keyboard which seemed to act odd -- the cursor keys and return would work, but only in the first (main) menu, after that they seemed to stop working until I returned to the main menu (and it's a pity the C64 emulators don't support a USB keyboard!).
Thats normal. The menu doesn't fully support a keyboard, but your keyboard will work fine with apps that do support it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back