Just Bought A Gp2x And Have A Lot Of Easy Questions.

Maybe (just maybe) your headphones port is not well soldered, first edition units suffered from bad soldering, and so might some other later models. If you are willing to open your GP2X and try a headphone that does not have a plug and connect the wires directly you might find out for sure (dont cut the plug of your Aiwa headphones, Aiwa's are better then all other brands, I got mine in the old days when the walkman was the most common portable device, they are still perfect, although it is been 12 years since I got them :) )

sehs33 posted on Oct 31 2006 at 09:48 AM said:
Maybe (just maybe) your headphones port is not well soldered, first edition units suffered from bad soldering, and so might some other later models. If you are willing to open your GP2X and try a headphone that does not have a plug and connect the wires directly you might find out for sure (dont cut the plug of your Aiwa headphones, Aiwa's are better then all other brands, I got mine in the old days when the walkman was the most common portable device, they are still perfect, although it is been 12 years since I got them :) )

Nah I'm not willing to do that. Unfortunate.....but hellz ya on your aiwa comment! 3 years for me and goin strong!

mittens posted on Oct 31 2006 at 04:16 AM said:
For your problem under daylight, I highly suggest to do not use the included protect film. It's too reflective.

If you use non-reflection protect film (which might make your screen a bit darker but unreflect), It will quite help you seeing screen at outdoor.

(LCD devices suppose to be very dark and dim under the sun light, but most common protective films are reflectvie since many decent LCDs have very bright back light)

Where do you suggest I buy one of the decent reflective films? Nice answer btw!

Last edited by a moderator:
mittens posted on Oct 31 2006 at 05:16 AM said:
For your problem under daylight, I highly suggest to do not use the included protect film. It's too reflective.

If you use non-reflection protect film (which might make your screen a bit darker but unreflect), It will quite help you seeing screen at outdoor.

(LCD devices suppose to be very dark and dim under the sun light, but most common protective films are reflectvie since many decent LCDs have very bright back light)

yeah where can I buy this, and does it attract dust? Last time I took mines off completly and the world of dust got attacted to it

Well, I cannot suggest any INTERNATIONAL web site :( sorry.
I bought it here, Korea, but you can search about those films at ebay or somewhere - Japanese film makers still make those unreflective films for cell phones and PDAs (and you can also find some interesting films like 'private' filter :) Buy one of those for 3.5' screen.

Not so popular item, but there would be. (in Korea, imported(japanese) unreflective 3.5' films for PDA are around $10 or $15. Might a bit more expensive, I'm not sure though)

For the 'dust-free' protect film, remember that the some 'humiidty' never hurt GP2x :)

I once read a guy in here used his 'bathroom after taking shower' for that task, that's one way.

I usually drop couples of droplets of water ON the LCD and try to stick my film on it. With water, it is very easy to stick and remove without any air-ball nor dust. (If you failed once, you can always try again with adding more water. Just finish it by removing waters from under the film with tissue or towel.

Of course, be careful no water into the machine, but I never failed even with my laptop (with private filter, though) Actually I always use the water-wased film (water-remaining) It probably is not so sticky atm but it will be again after water gone.

I hope you guys good luck :)

First version of the Gp2X have a slightly more light screen.
You can change the LCD settings to have it a bit darker.

Try to upgrade to FW 2.1, perhaps it will correct the sound problem.
I also got distorted sound if I put the volume way too loud (near maximum)
Check if you have the volume limit ticked in the menu.

The original cap isn't that good. I bought a DaveC cap a while ago and it's better.

Just to follow up on this .. the rev-A (FX-100) GP2X's had *very brittle* solder problems due to the lead-free requirements not quite being punched into their machine-line (probably), and it is quite possible that your headphone jack has micro-fractures from too much contact with the case, which is causing a stress-transfer between the case and the PCB. This was a cause of early headphone frustration, wherein the jack would pop off the PCB and rattle around inside .. fixed in later mfr processes.

To solve it (you can, I've done it on 3 Rev-A GP2X's just fine), open it up, and re-solder the contacts for the headphone jack, preferably with your own little stash of lead'ish solder'ish stuff .. ;)

The problem was that the headphone jack didn't have independent 'anchor pads' and is pretty much holding its own against the case while hanging on to the PCB for its dear little life ..

Just to follow up on this .. the rev-A (FX-100) GP2X's had *very brittle* solder problems due to the lead-free requirements not quite being punched into their machine-line (probably), and it is quite possible that your headphone jack has micro-fractures from too much contact with the case, which is causing a stress-transfer between the case and the PCB. This was a cause of early headphone frustration, wherein the jack would pop off the PCB and rattle around inside .. fixed in later mfr processes.

To solve it (you can, I've done it on 3 Rev-A GP2X's just fine), open it up, and re-solder the contacts for the headphone jack, preferably with your own little stash of lead'ish solder'ish stuff .. ;)

The problem was that the headphone jack didn't have independent 'anchor pads' and is pretty much holding its own against the case while hanging on to the PCB for its dear little life ..

Thx for the excellent post. But I've never soldered anything in my life and don't know what to look for. So I guess that's out. :(

Well, I cannot suggest any INTERNATIONAL web site :( sorry.
I bought it here, Korea, but you can search about those films at ebay or somewhere - Japanese film makers still make those unreflective films for cell phones and PDAs (and you can also find some interesting films like 'private' filter :) Buy one of those for 3.5' screen.

Not so popular item, but there would be. (in Korea, imported(japanese) unreflective 3.5' films for PDA are around $10 or $15. Might a bit more expensive, I'm not sure though)

For the 'dust-free' protect film, remember that the some 'humiidty' never hurt GP2x :)

I once read a guy in here used his 'bathroom after taking shower' for that task, that's one way.

I usually drop couples of droplets of water ON the LCD and try to stick my film on it. With water, it is very easy to stick and remove without any air-ball nor dust. (If you failed once, you can always try again with adding more water. Just finish it by removing waters from under the film with tissue or towel.

Of course, be careful no water into the machine, but I never failed even with my laptop (with private filter, though) Actually I always use the water-wased film (water-remaining) It probably is not so sticky atm but it will be again after water gone.

I hope you guys good luck :)

I know a great person who could apply this for me. He tints his car's pretty well so I dont' mess it up. I don't mind buying from korea webstores man. Hell I just bought from playasia last night!

If you could take like 5 minutes out of your life and help me find something that I could buy on the web I'd appreciate it. With my luck I'll end up buying something thats toal shit.

The original cap isn't that good. I bought a DaveC cap a while ago and it's better.

Google did nothing for me on this one. I heard they are 10 bux. Where can I get one?

I tried to find the store sells good quality films (actually it took more than five min. of my life :))

but there are some problems:

1. I do not know the quality of every brand. (I found there are some OEMs)
2. Most of web stores do not ship abroad.
3. Most of korean web stores only accept korean credit cards (we have quite a tight -and complex- -and uncomportable- legal secure method for internet commercial transactions :()

so here is the deal;

I found one or two seems-ok-quality-and-value products (for PDA or PMP, actually). if you feel comfortable to let me know your address.,I'll send one of them to you. Take it as a present from a friend (or stranger :) )
PM me with your address. I'll let you know again after shipping.

or if you don't like the idea above, I found one 17' unreflect film (at least, it is written on the cover with japanese, you can cut it for your size) and some anti-glare films on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/17-LCD-Monitor-Screen-...1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Non-glue-0-2mm-UltraTh...1QQcmdZViewItem

No matter which way you prefer, I hope you enjoy our beloved GP2x and this community. :lol:

EDIT: Well, original stick (even of MK-I) is still ok for me. It is not that bad IMHO, I, too, prefer d-pad though.

Back