Buying A Gp2x

FarS1GHT

Still Fresh
So... I think I'm set on buying a GP2X over a PSP. The things I want to do the most are play Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. Now for the questions...

Where to buy and why?
Gp2x Console MK2 Version - GP2X Store
-$189.99 *USPS - Priority (2-3 day delivery) $5.76 = $195.75
-Free SD Card reader

GP2X Game System (MK2) - Play-Asia
-$169.90 *Economy Air Bubble (Duration: 5-10 days) $ 17.90 = $187.8

GP2X Console (Version 2 F100) - GP2X Zone
-$189.99 *Shipping & Handling (Duration Unknown - 2 day?) $10.00 = $199.99
-Free PAL & NSTC TV Out Adapter (Scart/S-Video/AV)

266Mhz GP2X - GP2x.co.uk
-$219.99 *Price unsure
***QUESTION: If you can overclock with software for free why would you pay extra for this?

Also... with a MAME emulator does anyone think Killer Instinct 2 would run?
Do I need a SD Card reader or couldn't I just use the included USB cable included to transfer my data to the SD card through the gp2x?

Thanks for the help guys.

Q: If you can overclock with software for free why would you pay extra for this?
A: This GP2X has been tested to be able to overclock to at least 266 mhz.
Oh and the power pack is $219.99 + shipping from England

Q: Can you connect another controller somehow?
A: It is possible to connect a usb controller to the usb host interface on the ext port. To do this you need either a special cable (from somewhere like http://www.artaylor.co.uk/~richard/gp2x/) or the Break Out Board (BOB).

When I bought mine I went with Play-Asia but that was before the stores opened in the US. Now I'd probably go with GP2X Zone.

Blah posted on Dec 28 2006 at 09:24 PM said:
Q: If you can overclock with software for free why would you pay extra for this?

Right... so why would anyone buy the overclocked version if one could do it themselves?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for play asia..the value pack is the only 10 dollars more than the normal system.. and they only took 2 days to ship. I was going to go for a oc system but I prefer to save some cash..my stable oc is 280mhz so I'm happy with that also..

FarS1GHT posted on Dec 29 2006 at 01:39 AM said:
Blah posted on Dec 28 2006 at 09:24 PM said:
Right... so why would anyone buy the overclocked version if one could do it themselves?
You misunderstand. A '266mhz GP2X' doesn't exclusively run at 266mhz. All that it means is that the unit has been tested and is stable at 266. The only thing you can do in software is set the clockspeed, but if your GP2X can't run at the speed you set, it'll crash. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the 266 crap. Mine reaches 260, and I've never wanted it to go any higher (and I very rarely go over 200).

The tested clock ones are great because you are guaranteed to get ones that can take alot of punishment in tearms of cranking the speed up and squeezing more out of it. As a side effect though i would assume units on the same website that are described as not being overclockable are confirmed low clockers (the ones that failed the high clock testing)....they have to go somewhere.

But as emulators and firmware improve the need for clocking will lessen somewhat so it wouldnt be the end of the world to have one that only hits standard clocks.

Wow, thanks for all the fast replies!

How about this question stated previously: Do I need a SD Card reader or couldn't I just use the included USB cable included to transfer my data to the SD card through the gp2x?

I will mostly be making my own mini games (being a beginner programmer) and playing SNES.

I have heard both good and bad about SNES on the GP2X. More insight would be welcome.

The included cable worked for me, but its not uncommon to hear of defective cables. Its the standard mini usb cable that most digital cameras (and the PSP) use.

FarS1GHT posted on Dec 29 2006 at 08:01 AM said:
How about this question stated previously: Do I need a SD Card reader or couldn't I just use the included USB cable included to transfer my data to the SD card through the gp2x?

An SD card reader would be a massive boon. There are $3 ones available (check the review in the Reviews forum). You can usually get by with the USB cable, but some of them are low quality and won't work with all computers.

I have heard both good and bad about SNES on the GP2X. More insight would be welcome.

Put it this way. Without transparencies, it's excellent. 75-85% of games run fullspeed (some with overclocking, naturally) without issue. But transparencies, used in several games, are a bugbear. You either use messy hacks to get around them, or use a different emulator which is much slower.

All in all, I'm quite happy with SNES emulation, but until a new emu comes out which handles transparencies well, it won't be "complete." I guess it depends on how fussy you are, and which games you like to play -- hopefully not all of your favorites are affected!

GunPei2X posted on Dec 29 2006 at 02:06 AM said:
FarS1GHT posted on Dec 29 2006 at 08:01 AM said:

An SD card reader would be a massive boon. There are $3 ones available (check the review in the Reviews forum). You can usually get by with the USB cable, but some of them are low quality and won't work with all computers.

All in all, I'm quite happy with SNES emulation, but until a new emu comes out which handles transparencies well, it won't be "complete." I guess it depends on how fussy you are, and which games you like to play -- hopefully not all of your favorites are affected!

My favs would be all of the Mortal Kombat games and of course all the Super Mario ones too. Not a big fan of Zelda

Back