Just Bought A 20" Imac - What Do You Think? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...do you sell macs or something?
I do (honestly, I work at the only shop certified to work on macs under warranty through apple north of St. Paul, Minnesota)

...but when I need to get work done, I use linux (currently trying out kubuntu 6.10)

As for beryl and its Expose clone - yes Expose is a very beautiful technology, but seeing as Linux are all about innovation, it seems to me that this is just another example of innovation copying, by the masses. Linux is fantastic for a lot of applications, but until people get fed up enough to realise that it is *NOT* ready for the home user yet, in *any* form, Linux will continue to disillusion the idealistic ones, and cause frustration time after time.
In case you aren't aware, most of apples "innovative" features were copied from other companies/developers (sometimes purchased). Copying other people's ideas is usually seen negatively, but that is what allows our technology to develop. If you are forced to come up with something "innovative", you will end up making crap that isn't half as useful as the stuff available. We should build upon what we have, and there shouldn't be laws restricting it.

Anyways, I like macs, and I think they are great for the average user. However, I disagree completely with the level of control the companies are forcing on people. Also, Apple has worked towards creating a vision in the publics eye that their products "just work". However, this isn't the case. That is why we have so many macs coming in at my work. They don't "just work". And Apple is a real pain to deal with, don't let their good appearances fool you into thinking they have good support.

Whatever you do, don't use Vista. It can't even do some basic things XP can, has terrible hardware support, and is (supposedly) full of DRM. I have used the latest preview of vista at work and it looks pretty nice but runs like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read an article praising Vista, and its two main points (they made a point out of outlining these two points) were "improved security and the new transparent Aero theme". Show me what security improvements couldn't have been done with an XP patch. I won't even comment on the new theme being a selling point.

Windows XP is a great OS, people who currently use it shouldn't "upgrade" to Vista anytime soon...

- Alex

...do you sell macs or something?
I do (honestly, I work at the only shop certified to work on macs under warranty through apple north of St. Paul, Minnesota)

Huh, Mn. I didn't know we had a place like that. Do you do all apple products?
We do macs and PCs, but we can't work on ipods and such (you have to send those to apple). Is that what you meant by "all apple products"?

EDIT: It is called "CW Technology"

I should make this a little clearer:
We are mainly a computer repair shop. However, we also sell computers (HP and Apple).

Ya, that's what i was asking. Because i remember having to send my ipod to some far off place.

P.S. Apple stores can't do repairs?

P.S. Apple stores can't do repairs?
What do you mean by Apple stores? There is a difference between places that are certified to sell Apple machines and places that are certified to repair them (we have both). Other places COULD repair macs, but they wouldn't be repairing them under warranty. If your mac is still under warranty, you have to either ship it to apple or have it repaired by a certified shop. Then we do the repair and bill Apple for it rather than the customer.

EDIT: If by "Apple Store" you mean a store that is actually operated by Apple, there are only 4 in minnesota, all in the twin cities area. (See http://www.apple.com/retail/ )

the BSD kernel was chosen by apple because of it,s license not the functionality or portability (wich is great)

and there are some who LIKE to tinker and to have full control of their os and in that case linux fits like a glove. my opinion of "easy OS" is that beginners will be beginners 10% time of their "computer" life but you are a experienced user 90% of the time.

those companys want to make money and have a steady flow of new adoptors so they design it firstly for that category.

OS10 is for designed for beginners,Windows is designed for beginners,BSD distros is designed for expirenced,Gnu/linux is designed for experienced,

to sum it up:

would you like to read a illiterate,s favorite book to ?

What utter b*llocks!. So if it is for beginners, then why do all the *professionals* use it, and the mass population prefers to remain shackled and spoonfed by MS??. Talking out of your hat, does noone any favours, so please at least TRY to say something that is true. What a complete imbecile!.

professionals use gnu/linux,win32,OS10,and embedded OSes, they dont stick to one product like a zealot, they just want to get the work done computers are tools and the OS is the framework.

and a OS who is designed for beginners are not negative it,s just not for me. i like Gnu/linux but would never install Ubuntu because it wont get the "work" done. Did you ever think what would happen if Apple got monopoly and kicked the competition out the water ?

competition is the driving factor for innovation wich you like so much
look at Disney they have many win32 clients but their renderfarms are a hefty mix of OSes
the masses are not shackled by win32 they just dont like thinkering with their OS and it comes preinstalled so why not just use it ? but again it,s not for me, i am a control freak and dont like OS10 drm,closed APIs getting in the way of my enjoyment (same goes for all closed OSes in my book)

but i understand that all people are not like me, so its good that there are alternatives for all of us, even you linuxlover but then again i speak utter b*llocks!. ;)

look here for professional OSes http://searchdns.netcraft.com/?restriction...osition=limited

:D

I love this thread, and I love Mr. Ignorant Fanboy "linuxlover". Me, I use Ubuntu Linux. I have very little to get done, but when I have stuff to get done, Ubuntu does it. I use Beryl which has crashed once or twice, but aside from that, completely stable and very usable. Linux, I agree, has its flaws and is certainly not a beginner's OS, but so does the competition. I have used Windows. I didn't like it at all. I have used a Mac. It was OK, but to be honest, where am I going to get some £1500 from? Linux does everything I need to do for me, plus the fancy composite desktops. It's very flexible indeed.

Your comment a couple of pages back about FOSS meaning that anybody can just walk in and ruin stuff... obviously you have it all wrong, that is not possible. All software comes from trusted repositories. It's all checked, to make sure it works. You claim to have used every Linux distro under the sun, you should know this.

On a related note, http://ubuntustudio.org/.

:D

I love this thread, and I love Mr. Ignorant Fanboy "linuxlover". Me, I use Ubuntu Linux. I have very little to get done, but when I have stuff to get done, Ubuntu does it. I use Beryl which has crashed once or twice, but aside from that, completely stable and very usable. Linux, I agree, has its flaws and is certainly not a beginner's OS, but so does the competition. I have used Windows. I didn't like it at all. I have used a Mac. It was OK, but to be honest, where am I going to get some £1500 from? Linux does everything I need to do for me, plus the fancy composite desktops. It's very flexible indeed.

Your comment a couple of pages back about FOSS meaning that anybody can just walk in and ruin stuff... obviously you have it all wrong, that is not possible. All software comes from trusted repositories. It's all checked, to make sure it works. You claim to have used every Linux distro under the sun, you should know this.

On a related note, http://ubuntustudio.org/.

What a horrible monster this thread has evolved into!. I quit - discussing OS X on a GP2X forum is like joining a Muslim forum and trying to tell them all that they are misguided - virtually impossible!. I quit - and no doubt some of you will feel relieved by this!. I know what is best, and to be frank I don't need any advice on how or why I am right or wrong. I like OS X best. Period. See ya folks! :)

What a horrible monster this thread has evolved into!. I quit - discussing OS X on a GP2X forum is like joining a Muslim forum and trying to tell them all that they are misguided - virtually impossible!. I quit - and no doubt some of you will feel relieved by this!. I know what is best, and to be frank I don't need any advice on how or why I am right or wrong. I like OS X best. Period. See ya folks! :)

Hooray :D, like we wanted you here in the first place. Round of applause everyone.

"What? You mean some people here disagree with me? Well this forum clearly isn't for me, I'll leave now!"

This is just funny now. :lol:

This is just pathetic.. Can't you just awnser the guys question instead if screaming Linux or Windows is better, please grow up people!

If linuxlover has sold his GP2X he thinks it was crap, otherwise he wouldn't sell it. I sell it too, because I thought the future of the device was good and it dissapoints me. SO WHAT?!

Seriously, I don't mean all of you cause there are lots of usefull reactions on the tread, but there are just way to many replies which nobody cares about and the stupid part of that is some people actually reply to those dumb post.

Don't post if you got nothing usefull to say about the tread!! You are screwing up this forum!

-NoidZ-

EDIT: I totally agree with you Nova

Hooray :D , like we wanted you here in the first place. Round of applause everyone.

You, sir, are a cunt.

... umm, what question? This thread had run it's course as of about halfway through the first page. It really should be locked about now.

I would like to give OS X a try but would never ever use an OS which is designed to be run only on 'official', expensive, ugly, inflexible hardware. Fuck Apple.

Linux=freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back