Just Bought A 20" Imac - What Do You Think? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GP2X was never meant to be mass-marketed, it's for dev hobbyists and for those who enjoy its wealth of free software. Glossy acrylic is obviously a lot more important to you than any of those things, so of course the GP2X didn't click with you.

How is the GP2X to promoting Linux? Did anyone here switch to Linux after purchasing a GP2X and using it? It doesn't make sense! Besides, Linux is 100% free software, so where's the evil benefit of 'promoting' it?

- Alex

Yeah I completely agree. The gp2x was never supposed to be slick, pretty, or packed with features. It fills in a nice market niche of a portable platforms where developers like Franxis and Slaanesh can crank out great emulators without specialized / overpriced SDK's.

Plus, regardless of what the gp2x was meant to be, what other device out there can run homebrew / emulators with the performance and ease of the gp2x for the same price? The PSP is the closest thing I can think of but it's got hardware and other issues as well.

-gp2x-mac guy

Last edited by a moderator:
I would only use Apple with Apple
their tech support are second to none
once ya hooked, its like a drug! :p

Case closed, :rolleyes:

- Alex

Not at all closed mate - hooked on reliability, upon inner appreciation of all the awesome innovation and design/functionality subtleties that you will never know unless you own one - they reveal themselves bit by bit, and take you by surprise when you most need them. I am hooked on innovation and I am inspired by the way in which their implementation of form and of function, co-exist and complement one another with perfection that cannot be faked. You need to realise that it is not the 'Mac crowd' that are missing out! ;)

I'm totally sold on the idea of not having to reset my BIOS (Mac has EFI!) every six months - I don't HAVE a BIOS (How old is that idea?). I'm sold and addicted, hook line and sinker, to having the vast portion of my life back under control, and freed up, that was previously allocated to / wasted by fixing stupid problems that have been ignored by generations of lazy designers, and never fixed - I value my life, and my time on earth is precious. Call me brainwashed if you wish to, but that would be a little shallow, considering that you have no clue as to where Mac is coming from, judging by your reactions.

Mac is *the* Personal Computer - looks after your computing needs in a personal way - the Apple support team deal personally and professionally with what users need, and they do it well. Calling me brainwashed still?. I give up!!

I am running Kubuntu Linux on a 2-year old laptop.

It's functional, nice-looking, and VERY fast. Much faster than when it was using Windows, that is for sure. I personally like doing stuff at command line, but if I don't want to I don't have to. My computer is great for everything I want to do on it, and the operating system was FREE. It also doesn't have the clunkiness I feel when using OSX... the eye-candy is just a bit too much for me, I want my computer to work on the window I have open, not bounce icons across the screen that want my attention!

I can't possibly purchase a mac because it seems a full half or more of people who do turn into propoganda spewing Apple-slaves that suddenly need to own fifty different pieces of shiny white plastic, and need everyone around them to own them too... I swear they get you with subliminal messages during boot-up or something (j/k :lol:)

Macs are like the Hybrid cars on that one episode of South Park, I swear... :p

The GP2X: The build quality is great on the little thing, I think this is just another case of shiny-white-plastic-philia, I hate to tell you.

You sound like an advertising panphlet.

Big words when not backed up by big facts are worth nothing.

I'm a designer and I have used both macs and pc's extensively and, believe it or not, when given the choice, I clearly prefer pc's.

Not one bit - GP2X is just THE most highly flawed piece of electronics garbage I have ever owned, and I have worked in electronics design and manufacture for 16 years, and seen a LOT of cr*p in my time!.

Why do these sad muppets keep coming here? You don't own a GP2X anymore and you think there rubbish. The only reason I can see that you posted here in the first place was to show off about the fact that you have more money than brains and to then have a chance to slate the GP2X.

Find yourself a nice apple fanboy forum where you can all get off on pictures of your shiny equipment!

linuxlover:
* Who is the stupid guy who would pay $2500 for such a setup that doesn't even include a monitor? I can get a better deal with a monitor for half the price.
* Do you know that this glossy touch is what many hate about apple? It is disgusting and makes things look so cheap.
* White? Come on, apples are red, green or yellow, what is the relation between Apple and white colour?
* iPOD is what made Apple survive, not their stupid computer.
* You wont have any bugs while running anything on it, of course, because nothing runs on it, Mac computers always suffered from the lack of software compared to other environments.
* It is really stupid to believe that Mac OS is better than Linux, so stupid even to discuss the point.
* If you hate/dislike the GP2X, why are you here? This is a GP2X community, for GP2X people, and you made it clear that you are not GP2X type of people.
* With all my respect, you keep saying I have bla bla bla years experience in electronic stores, but I honestly never found one intelligent guy works in these stores, those who are intelligent are busy designing the circuits in a lab were they DO NOT use Mac.
Mudi:
:D
Alex. :
Ya it is closed, forget what he says.

It's functional, nice-looking, and VERY fast. Much faster than when it was using Windows, that is for sure. I personally like doing stuff at command line, but if I don't want to I don't have to. My computer is great for everything I want to do on it, and the operating system was FREE. It also doesn't have the clunkiness I feel when using OSX... the eye-candy is just a bit too much for me, I want my computer to work on the window I have open, not bounce icons across the screen that want my attention!

I can't possibly purchase a mac because it seems a full half or more of people who do turn into propoganda spewing Apple-slaves that suddenly need to own fifty different pieces of shiny white plastic, and need everyone around them to own them too... I swear they get you with subliminal messages during boot-up or something (j/k :lol:)

The GP2X: The build quality is great on the little thing, I think this is just another case of shiny-white-plastic-philia, I hate to tell you.

Oh the sheer ignorance - no wonder we become 'fanboys' - there is *plenty* to hate in PC land, and a whole world of fresh green pastures, in Apples orchard. You carry on - don't let me stop you ;)

linuxlover:
* Who is the stupid guy who would pay $2500 for such a setup that doesn't even include a monitor? I can get a better deal with a monitor for half the price.
* Do you know that this glossy touch is what many hate about apple? It is disgusting and makes things look so cheap.
* White? Come on, apples are red, green or yellow, what is the relation between Apple and white colour?
* You wont have any bugs while running anything on it, of course, because nothing runs on it, Mac computers always suffered from the lack of software compared to other environments.
* It is really stupid to believe that Mac OS is better than Linux, so stupid even to discuss the point.
* If you hate/dislike the GP2X, why are you here? This is a GP2X community, for GP2X people, and you made it clear that you are not GP2X type of people.
* With all my respect, you keep saying I have bla bla bla years experience in electronic stores, but I honestly never found one intelligent guy works in these stores, those who are intelligent are busy designing the circuits in a lab were they DO NOT use Mac.
Mudi:
Alex. :

What an ignorant lot you really are. Carry on dudes, your defensiveness is hilarious.

@linuxlover

You still here? Please run away like a good little troll, you'll find no apples here.

the BSD kernel was chosen by apple because of it,s license not the functionality or portability (wich is great)

and there are some who LIKE to tinker and to have full control of their os and in that case linux fits like a glove. my opinion of "easy OS" is that beginners will be beginners 10% time of their "computer" life but you are a experienced user 90% of the time.

those companys want to make money and have a steady flow of new adoptors so they design it firstly for that category.

OS10 is for designed for beginners,Windows is designed for beginners,BSD distros is designed for expirenced,Gnu/linux is designed for experienced,

to sum it up:

would you like to read a illiterate,s favorite book to ?

Oh the sheer ignorance - no wonder we become 'fanboys' - there is *plenty* to hate in PC land, and a whole world of fresh green pastures, in Apples orchard. You carry on - don't let me stop you ;)

linuxlover:
Mudi:
Alex. :

What an ignorant lot you really are. Carry on dudes, your defensiveness is hilarious.

Lol, he's not even defending the product itself. He's just calling people ignorant.

the BSD kernel was chosen by apple because of it,s license not the functionality or portability (wich is great)

and there are some who LIKE to tinker and to have full control of their os and in that case linux fits like a glove. my opinion of "easy OS" is that beginners will be beginners 10% time of their "computer" life but you are a experienced user 90% of the time.

those companys want to make money and have a steady flow of new adoptors so they design it firstly for that category.

OS10 is for designed for beginners,Windows is designed for beginners,BSD distros is designed for expirenced,Gnu/linux is designed for experienced,

to sum it up:

would you like to read a illiterate,s favorite book to ?

What utter b*llocks!. So if it is for beginners, then why do all the *professionals* use it, and the mass population prefers to remain shackled and spoonfed by MS??. Talking out of your hat, does noone any favours, so please at least TRY to say something that is true. What a complete imbecile!.

What utter b*llocks!. So if it is for beginners, then why do all the *professionals* use it, and the mass population prefers to remain shackled and spoonfed by MS??. Talking out of your hat, does noone any favours, so please at least TRY to say something that is true. What a complete imbecile!.

This 'you're wrong, I'm right, everyone else is stupid' attitude is what makes me hate mac fanboys. And with that, I ignore this thread.

This 'you're wrong, I'm right, everyone else is stupid' attitude is what makes me hate mac fanboys. And with that, I ignore this thread.

How ironic. Ever think of using your *own* judgement, and actually *trying* a Mac...?... thought as much!! :)

I fuckin' hate computers, me.

Now to finish this thread off anyone fancy doing an impromptu rendition of 'I don't like mondays'?

How ironic. Ever think of using your *own* judgement, and actually *trying* a Mac...?... thought as much!! :)

Ack, I made the mistake of clicking on the thread again...

I _HAVE_ tried macs. I do tech support for my Grandmother all the time, who has a mac. It is bearable, just as Windows is bearable, but I see no reason to pay extra for it. I think if I was given Mac hardware, I would install Linux on it.

This guy would hate me. The first thing I'd do with a mac is dual-boot XP Pro + Ubuntu Dapper. Honestly, who besides Apple makes software for Mac OS?

I _HAVE_ tried macs. I do tech support for my Grandmother all the time, who has a mac. It is bearable, just as Windows is bearable, but I see no reason to pay extra for it. I think if I was given Mac hardware, I would install Linux on it.

It doesn't bother me one way or another if someone uses osx, windows, or linux just like it doesn't really matter to me all that much that the gp2x is running on linux.

Most gripes that ppl have about one OS or another tend to be UI related. In nearly all modern desktop OS's, you can usually find an app that changes that offending behavior w/o having to write one yourself. Hell, just use a different windows manager altogether if you want.

Back in the 8bit days, your software is tied heavily into the hardware and subsequently OS and accessories of your choice. Even then, the flame wars ppl had were silly. Look, if you REALLY have to run Lotus 1-2-3, then freaking get the computer that can run it. These days you don't even have to do that. How hard is it to run a distributed "appliance" w/ the free vmplayer? Instant pre-written, configured, and recoverable "servers".

For me, I do quite a lot of photography and video editing. Yes you can do these things on windows and linux. Especially w/ GIMP photo editing, it behaves the same across platforms.

But dealing with large RAW files or 100+ gb's of single DV videos is just a headache on linux and windows. There are plenty of good apps for window and linux but it's just incosistent in build. When you have a workflow from the original import to a final product it just takes one of the 20 tools to misbehave to make the experience unfun.

With exception to expose, i've turned off most of the whiz bang features in osx. I know it's a perfectly good OS because I never really notice the OS itself. Would I notice if the gp2x was based on osx? Probably so because it'd be too bloated for what we need the gp2x to do. That would instantly make osx suck. But right now, I can enjoy the device w/o ever knowing what's holding it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back