Just a few quick but important questions before I order a Pandora!

venoMantis

Still Fresh
So I've been interested in getting myself an OpenPandora for quite a while for both emulation and fiddling with small-level game development while also serving as a mini-computer when my current mini-computer just isn't mini enough. I was ordering it from DragonBox.de in case that's important.

As an Aussie buyer there are a few concerns I need to bring up before I order one:

1. Is Dragonbox.de the optimal location to order from for Australian customers? Is there a closer partner you work with that sells Pandoras to our country?
  2. When I throw the price into Google Translate I get 561.02 AUD (as of right now anyway). Would this be accurate?
  3. Does it come with a charger that works for Australian ports? If I need to specify that during the order when would I do that?

That's basically all I can remember me wanting to ask off the top of my head. I'll just bump the topic if I have any more questions if that's okay.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Cut out a question because I realised Australia is covered in the postage prices list. Didn't bother looking for a 'worldwide' option and only found it when I checked back for a page number or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The only places officially selling new Pandoras are ED's Dragonbox shop in Germany, or Link's Ithic shop in the US. I can't find new Pandora's in stock on Ithic today though, so it looks like Dragonbox is your closest supplier (unless you can find a fellow Aussie selling a second hand Pandora on ebay).

2. Dragonbox knows I'm a UK customer, so shows me prices with 19% tax included. If I take away 19% from the with-tax price of the 1GHz multipack (450 EUR) then convert that to AUD using xe.com, I get a little over 560 AUD, I so guess your figure is correct.

3. Dragonbox sells the Travel adaptor which includes an Australian plug (which I guess also works in China and certain places in Brazil, but it's sold as an Australian plug so it's guaranteed to work there for sure). That's the same PSU brick I received with my Pandora, but with the UK plug end only, so I guess ED can include an Australian plug end for your order. You can add a note to your order to ensure he sends the right part. Also note, you can charge your Pandora using a generic PSP charger, or a mini-USB charger (not the micro-USB type commonly used to charge modern phones, though), though the PSP charge port takes more power so charges more quickly.

Alright, many thanks Levi. I've sent the payment so now I just have to play the waiting game.

you did read about the pyra making good progress recently but did not want to wait any longer?

just asking... the pandora is still awesome!

It's still anyone's guess how many revisions those Pyra prototype boards (and we're still waiting for the first LCD board, I believe), whereas the Pandora is available now and still has new games being released daily. Seems an easy choice to me.

Also, ED said some troubling things about the Pyra not being produced if there isn't enough interest.

We got Exagear, PPSSPP and Drastic years after the Pandora was released. It will take some time to port all existing very cool stuff to the Pyra and optimize it for it. New keyboard layout, maybe some beginning problems with the GPU driver... if you buy a Pandora you get a fully working and optimized device right now and not in 6 month or something. But I would wait for the Pyra the specs are just too sweet.

Oh, I've definitely heard of the Pyra. Consider my choice of not waiting a mix of the Pandora having enough of what I need and the Pyra's release date being relatively unknown. That, and impatience on my end.

Back