joystick?

cosurgi

http://janek.kozicki.pl/
Website
janek.kozicki.pl
Hi guys,

My wife was playing superfrog on amiga 20 years ago, and now when I ran uae4all, she told me about this game. So of course I ran superfrog and it works very well. She got excited, but told me that she cannot play with keyboard - she got used to a common joystick. So I started looking around to get her a nice joystick, so that she could play too. And I'm wondering what joystick would work with uae4all?

I have found "Logitech WingMan Attack 3" in local store, at 25 EUR, acceptable price I think. I found that it "works with linux", according to http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatdb/details/logitech_wingman_attack_3_linux.html

Do you guys think it's gonna work?

I have that joystick. I had it working in Linux at one point, but now I just use it to play Battlefield 1942. I was using Fedora at the time, but most distros should be able to handle it if they're configured correctly, I think (I had to configure my kernel for joysticks in Gentoo, but then I only tested the Logitech Gamepad 310).

Last edited by a moderator:
The built-in gaming controls don't exist?
On the home-microcomputers of the 80s and 90s, we tended to use joysticks in this vein as standard. In many cases all of the fire buttons actually acted as one and the same, and in platformers such as the one that Cosurgi mentioned (Superfrog), you had to use the up direction on the joystick for jumping. For some who may prefer to play the games exactly as they did back in the day, the built-in gaming controls may not quite suit them.

(For me, up-to-jump was a nightmare even though it was what I grew up with at first, so personally I remap these. I can respect why others may prefer not to, though.)

I have that joystick. I had it working in Linux at one point, but now I just use it to play Battlefield 1942. I was using Fedora at the time, but most distros should be able to handle it if they're configured correctly, I think (I had to configure my kernel for joysticks in Gentoo, but then I only tested the Logitech Gamepad 310).

Can you try to run it in uae4all? :D

Thanks for the info.

I was looking for some pre-built adapater to convert the old style Joysticks to USB.. there are a ton of do it yourself projects like here. I thought it would be cool to play it on an original Joystick.

Edit: seeing the picture below, I should look more.. I was looking for adapters not entire joysticks.

BEHOLD, THE USB ZIP-STICK, NOW WITH USB. Old fashion switch action for the modern day!

2161bdP1paL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Can you try to run it in uae4all? :D

Thanks for the info.
I'm afraid not. My tower is at home. Furthermore, I can't find an entry on the Gentoo Portage site or even connect to the project's web page. I did find the GP2X source, but I imagine that won't help. My guess is it should work if it works on your version of Linux and the game supports and allows configuration of joysticks. But having never used the software, I can't be certain.

so uhhh, where can i find a usb adapter that has nearly all of the console controllers in one?

I've been on the verge of buying one if these a few times. We had one with our amiga500 before we broke it.

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront/
I've been tempted to get one of those myself. Legacy Engineering make great stuff. :D (They're the ones who designed the officially-licensed 2600-clone hardware that powers the Atari Flashback 2.0, and provided pads on the PCB for adding a cartridge slot to that device. I gather that they designed those USB joysticks to be modding-friendly, too.)

The built-in gaming controls don't exist?
in fact I'm rediscovering old gaming right now, plenty of games I still haven't tried. So That joystick would be for our kids to use with the home theater (which is an old xubuntu laptop connected to a not too shabby projector). And I will run on it uae4all for our kids. I guess that kids will have plenty of fun, maybe even as much as we did in the old times :) In fact I never had any game console, this will be the closest thing to such a thing :) So joystick will be more for uae4all than for pandora.

EDIT: I mean - I was playing mostly on microcomputers, not game consoles: spectrum, amstrad, finally PC. I haven't had an amiga...

Back