Joystick Not Giving Me Joy...

project86

My 1st Edition has some minor issues (dust under the screen, screatches, broken headphone jack, battery problems) but I can live with all those. What I can't live with is the fact that my stick is becoming less responsive when pushing it to the left. When going any other direction it is fine. But to go left, I have to really jam it over sometimes. Anyone ever have this problem?

I'm thinking of popping the case open and cleaning it out, hopefully it is just a crusty contact or something. But I can't find the good tutorial about how to open the unit up.

Does it work if you take off the plastic cap and use the metal pole? The stick sometimes has problems where the plastic cap prevents it from moving one way, you might just need to put a little ball of paper in the hole of the plastic bit to keep it out slightly.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't that simple!

mrsnature said:
Does it work if you take off the plastic cap and use the metal pole? The stick sometimes has problems where the plastic cap prevents it from moving one way, you might just need to put a little ball of paper in the hole of the plastic bit to keep it out slightly.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't that simple!
Hey that sounds pretty good, I'd been grinding down the stem instead until a new cap arrived.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm gonna take mine apart as well, try to fix that as well as re solder my headphone jack. Any good link for a guide to disassembly?

Same thing happening over here too, left is sometimes unresponsive.

Thanks for the tip mrsnature :)

project86 said:
I think I'm gonna take mine apart as well, try to fix that as well as re solder my headphone jack. Any good link for a guide to disassembly?
I'm sure must be something on the wiki... I just dove right in, however...

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple to dismantle, a few screws at the back of the unit to remove the back, remove the side pieces, gently move the mobo until it releases, job done. If you need to remove the front case, be careful of the ribbon cable.

The joystick is not great, after reasonable use it fails often, especially if you use it in a heavy manner.

You could use my old guide (my modding skills then were primitive in comparison to now) for the pinout; use desoldering braid to remove the old joystick if it fails, replace with new one, or with a D-pad (hack apart a G&W unit or GBA or similar for the D-pad contacts and cross).

Back