Joystick Mod

-Ace-

Still Fresh
Here's a simple mod I put together after being frustrated with the current GP2X control knob. I took a gamecube controller (original Nintendo one), and carefully worked off the small, round rubber top from the analog controller. The rubber top is actually just fit over the top of the plastic joystick knob, so if you work it back and forth for awhile, you can see it start to come free. Just carefully work it, being careful not to tear the rubber. Once off of the cube controller, I functioned it over the GP2X knob. In order for perfect clearance in all directions once placed over the GP2X knob, you will have to use a sharp hobby knife and trim a little rubber away from the underside of the rubber piece. Once functioned on, this knob is like a night and day difference- NO MORE SLIPPING, and very comfortable feeling. For permanent replacement, one could dab a drop or 2 of super glue on the GP2X knob, then slip the new rubber top over it. I have not done this yet, as the rubber top works perfectly as it is. This will be my first attempt at adding pics, so I hope they come through. Hope you enjoyed this small, simple mod.
gp2x15ck.jpg

gp2x23og.jpg

Looks pretty good. I'll try that out tonight as well. If it were only black.

yup this works great - no more sore thumbs! great idea.

if anyone hasnt already tried it a little 'roach' of paper rolled up and inserted into the shaft hole in the original stick top improves the action no end as well.

now where is that permanent black marker?

Oh ok. I didnt read yet, and i thought it was a basic joystick mod that involved cutting, drilling etc. The fact that you just slipped the rubber top over the old stick is quite cretive. Sounds interesting....

I just got a wavebird im using and on top of the official controller im no longer using i have a crappy 3rd party controller that came with the cube when I bought it. I may try this when I get home. Thanks for the idea. Excellent work :)

Maybe GPH will come up with something cheap and cheerful like this for us guinea pigs. I have a Gamecube gathering dust (honestly, I'm waiting for the Rev to come out so I can pick up some cheap games for the GC. It's a theory...) but it would pain me to reduce a controller to salvage.

Has anyone tried simply scoring the top of the joystick and giving it a coating of silicone sealant or somesuch?

There was a mod posted where they took the joystick cap off and painted it with some plastic gripping compound, seems to be a fairly cheap and easy way to improve the controls.

That stuff goes by the name Plasti-Dip in the states. It's available as a spray or dip from Home Depot.

Edit: What that guy above me said.

I can't get the middle rubber stuff out. :(
But this mod is great - I have 4 GameCube controllers, 3 missing their rubber things, which I kept hoping that maybe I could fix them eventually. :D

EDIT: Got it, and it works beautifully.

i have a gamecube pad here from a bigger ebay auction, i almost forgot about....
i took the screws off and i now have this big joyknob, but i can't see, where i can pull ov the rubber from the top.
or do i have to cut the top off with a knife?

This is a great little mod thanks

i just got done doing mine i love it

Back