Joystick... Again

palplayer

Still Fresh
I want to buy a gp2x but i've read in boards that joystick is really bad even with DaveC cap. Can we play games like Street Fighter, KOF, puyo puyo perfectly?
Is the joystick a reason so strong not to buy a Gpx2? When will the DaveC cap be sold in online shops like gbax.com?
Thanks for your help.

Most people find the stick at least 1003 times better with DaveC's cap. Still not perfect, true, but fine for playing the games you mentioned.

You can buy the cap directly from DaveC, I'm not sure he has any plans to sell it through shops. Although I think I remember someone saying that gp32z were selling them...

For me, the joystick is quite good as long as you play 8-ways games.
You just got to get used to it but it's okay for most uses (that's my point of view).
I'll check one of those DaveC caps one day for sure. The first reason is that my thumb rip off the stick sometimes (not too often, but I got small hands :D )

I have DaveCs cap and can play streetfighter with it and manage to pull off Dragon Punches with reasonable ease.

With Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine, it was fine. No probloems there.

You really get used to it. Doing exact taps on Up, Down, Left, Right etc can be a bit annoying but wider sweeping movements like shooting in an arc in Metal Slug, swimming around in Ecco are very natural and accurate movements ... platformers you mostly hold one direction for a long time, so it doesn't even really become an issue. For puzzle games, you really can't go wrong either.

It's annoying but it grows on you FAST. I have one of DaveC's caps coming, and I only expect improvement.

fishybawb posted on Mar 20 2006 at 05:56 PM said:
Most people find the stick at least 1003 times better with DaveC's cap. Still not perfect, true, but fine for playing the games you mentioned.

You can buy the cap directly from DaveC, I'm not sure he has any plans to sell it through shops. Although I think I remember someone saying that gp32z were selling them...

I seem to recall Evildragon's shop having them too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarska333 posted on Mar 20 2006 at 12:31 PM said:
fishybawb posted on Mar 20 2006 at 05:56 PM said:

I seem to recall Evildragon's shop having them too. :)
Gp32z also sells it at $5 more if you live in the US, so its better to buy it right from dave, and ED's shop is currently out of stock.

I have a GP2X and love it! The joystick can be anoying at times but it is not something that is bad enough for you not to buy one. I have played many puzzel games and have had no problem at all. You shoul get one as soon as possible!

Well, I'm playing Magical Drop 3 with DaveC's stick all the time - without any problems.

I recently had to navigate through the standard menu without DaveC's stick - that was terrible...

if it's joystick again, how is the joystick seen by gp2x OS (linux i mean)? Is it under /dev/jsX? If it is, is it some standard joystick driver or not? If yes, then would it be possible to recompile kernel (i think i've seen sources on http://svn.gp2x.com/kernel/) with joystick support as module and then play with module options? Is it very hard to modify kernel driver so that joystick would react like on DaveC's joy reference chart?
Damn I can't wait until my Internet Visa card arrive, so I can order gp2x ><'

Back