Any Homemede Alternatives To The Regular Joystick Cap?

gamefan999

I don't have huge problems with the regular dimple-in-middle joystick cap, but I feel it's just not quick enough when playing Street Fighter et al.

I'd like a (maybe homemede) replacement that I can really swing around super-quick, to get all those double-quarter-turns that are necessary for SF Alpha and the rest.

Has anyone experimented with this? Stiff like rubber bands, or tape, or whatever? Thanks for the feedback.

I basically did the DaveC concaved mod listed on that page with the original cap, simply just router/grind the top out into a bowl shape. After that I gave it about 5 coats of plastidip that I bought at a Lowes. Much improved. I also fastened the cap on the shaft better so that it doesn't rotate.

Reap

TelcoLou said:
Many different mods.

I'm partial to the RetroCon mod myself ;)

Thanks for the link. I didn't expect so many options.

So does anyone have any suggestions or advice on which one of them make for the "tightest" control, i.e., the shortest 360 degree rotation?

(For example, getting a fast full-circle-spin for a Zangief spinning-pile-driver, or quick double-quarter-turn for a super shinryuken)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty said:
This one looks pretty cool. I'm thinking about doing something like it...

That is the one that caught my attention the most, so far, as well.

Please post here if you find a brand and model of pen that you discover works well for this purpose (seriously!).

gavie said:
I'm still very pleased with my mod, doesn't make my GP2X look pretty but oh well, it's definitely an alternative - if you want something for quick button pressing, but don't want to destroy the gp2x's original stick..

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=35786&hl=

Points for initiative, but I think that conversion is only slightly less bizarre than the bogus one listed above, using the Commodore joystick!

Part of the beauty of a handheld, is that it's... well, hand-held. If I just wanted a superior joystick, I'd continue using my PS1 adapter for my PC emu's (which I do, but can't seem to get a good gaming session while seated on "the throne", if u catch my meaning).

I'm really not mechano-tecnologically inlined (messing with the mechanics of electronics, that is). So again, if anyone hasa "drop-in" solution, I'm all ears!

Back