Sd Card Setup

Wonslung

Still Fresh
Hello, I was just wondering if someone could explain in detail the best way to set up an SD card for the GP2x to use a single ROM directory for multiple emulators. I have Both Snes and Genesis emulators and it seems like they both have pros and cons but right now i'm having to have double copies of roms which just seems like a waste of space

Thank you in advance
:)

Shikaku posted on Dec 9 2006 at 10:40 PM said:
Uh bad idea and basically impracticably impossible. Especially if they are zipped. It's called organization for a reason; you CAN do this, but it is NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL, for you can easily load the rom for the wrong emulator.
no, you misunderstand me
i don't mean dropping every rom file into the same directory, i mean making a central location for my roms like rom/snes and setting up both snes emulators to use roms from that directory instead of having squidgesnes/roms AND snesgp2x/roms and having to have dual copies...or having to put only one copy in one emulator and one in the other...i'd like to do the same thing for the Genesis emualtors so i could have rom/genesis and have both picodrive and drm use the same central directory

i'm just asking how to set up the emulators to do this or if it's possible to do so

if not and this is a completely unreasonable question i appologize for wasting everyones time

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
		  megadrive
		  nes
		  SNES
2,097,152 Crystali.gbc
  131,072 FFL1.GBC
  262,144 FFL2.GBC
  262,144 FFL3.GBC
  262,144 MegaMan.gbc
  262,144 MegaMan2.gbc
  262,144 MegaMan3.gbc
  524,288 MegaMan4.gbc
  524,288 MegaMan5.gbc
2,097,152 PokCard2.gbc
1,048,576 PokeCard.gbc
  524,288 Pokegren.gbc
  131,072 Spanish.gbc
4,194,304 StarOcea.gbc
  524,288 TETRISAT.GBC
1,048,576 zeldaage.gbc
1,048,576 zeldasea.gbc
1,048,576 zeldawak.gbc

Uh... I am already doing that and it's done by default (this is my *SD*:\rom\ directory)

You can set up Squidesnes to use 'absolute rom path' or not, I.E. I has NK's SNES with its roms in nksnes/roms, and had to navigate from Squidges's SNES to this folder ... but yeah, a standard would be cool.

TelcoLou posted on Dec 9 2006 at 10:50 PM said:
You can set up Squidesnes to use 'absolute rom path' or not, I.E. I has NK's SNES with its roms in nksnes/roms, and had to navigate from Squidges's SNES to this folder ... but yeah, a standard would be cool.
ok, cool, that exactly what i wanted to do, is it just as simple for the picodrive/drmdx?

Wonslung posted on Dec 10 2006 at 01:14 PM said:
ok, cool, that exactly what i wanted to do, is it just as simple for the picodrive/drmdx?
Picodrive & drmd both let you browse to the folder that you want to use & then save it as the default from the menu.

Some of the other emulators require you to change the roms location in a config file.
e.g For the NeoGeo emulator you would need to open the file named gngeorc (using a text editor) in the conf folder & change:

# Where your rom are?
rompath ./roms

To read:

# Where your rom are?
rompath mnt/sd/roms/neogeo

Others just don't let you change it at all (yet) :(

p.s There is a suggested file system here that you can use.
There is also a Package Manager being worked on at the moment, which will allow you to automatically install programs & set them up for the filesystem.
I would suggest learning to edit the configs etc. first, but if you plan on using the Package Manager in the future you might as well start to use this file system now to get used to it :)

Tripmonkey_uk posted on Dec 10 2006 at 03:40 PM said:
Wonslung posted on Dec 10 2006 at 01:14 PM said:
Picodrive & drmd both let you browse to the folder that you want to use & then save it as the default from the menu.

Some of the other emulators require you to change the roms location in a config file.
e.g For the NeoGeo emulator you would need to open the file named gngeorc (using a text editor) in the conf folder & change:

# Where your rom are?
rompath ./roms

To read:

# Where your rom are?
rompath mnt/sd/roms/neogeo

Others just don't let you change it at all (yet) :(

p.s There is a suggested file system here that you can use.
There is also a Package Manager being worked on at the moment, which will allow you to automatically install programs & set them up for the filesystem.
I would suggest learning to edit the configs etc. first, but if you plan on using the Package Manager in the future you might as well start to use this file system now to get used to it :)

ok, thank...thats a big help and is exactly what i've been looking for :)

Back