Jeff, Got a question for you!

DarkWolfNine

Website
Visit site
On the print friendly version you want to be able to scrape, as it is right now, its the game title, w/ the averaged percentages of the latest version entered for that particular title. Do you want comments? Could get kinda lengthy... and should I only list games that have any data entered for the print friendly version? since all the N/A's could take a while to generate.

I could just make a special asp page that will format it for you so all you have to do is scrape it w/o having to reformat it.. but I don't know what you want out of this.

Note to everyone else (who reads this post to Jeff, heh) Does anyone need the versions on the Compatibilty site to go prior to 9.2? I didn't know if people haven't updated, etc.

Thanks,
~DWN

DarkWolfNine posted on May 20 2003 said:
On the print friendly version you want to be able to scrape, as it is right now, its the game title, w/ the averaged percentages of the latest version entered for that particular title. Do you want comments? Could get kinda lengthy... and should I only list games that have any data entered for the print friendly version? since all the N/A's could take a while to generate.

I could just make a special asp page that will format it for you so all you have to do is scrape it w/o having to reformat it.. but I don't know what you want out of this.

Note to everyone else (who reads this post to Jeff, heh) Does anyone need the versions on the Compatibilty site to go prior to 9.2? I didn't know if people haven't updated, etc.

Thanks,
~DWN
Hmm, a good question.. ie: to average all responses form the latest version included, or to average all responses? I guess it is wisest to average all responses for the latest version.

So if 5 responses for 9.2, and 1 response for 10.1, then use the 1 response for 10.1; but if 5 responses for 9.2 and none for a later version, average them all together?

For sure skip the games not rated, since I alreayd keep the database of all games :)

I was hoping for somethign like:

gamename 9.2 5 95% 100% 85% 100% 100%

Gamename, version, number responses, the 5%ages.

Nothing too fancy, as peopel shoudl go to your main site. But if you go down, I'll have it up as backup.

It would be interesting to tie the CRC's into it, so that we could show the %ages and stuff right on the handheld, but thats getting gratuitous :)

To me its mostly about having a backup around, and for archival sake.

If you can give me a simple URL, I'll take care of it.. I'll just set up a wget to suick it down every night at midnight or something, and ahve it go to a "(Backup here)" link on the site, beside the ref to your site.

Thanks! Its workign out nciely, I think. A shame that other lad and you were workgin on similar things at the same time :(

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Its almost a shame it doesn't have 90% as an option between 100% and 75% -- it seems drastic to see one flaw and cut it down to 75% ;)

I'm worried about a trend that a few people put in like 0% for Dungeon Master, because the load screen takes forever, so they get bored and assume it doesn't work. (It actually takes about a minute to open on a real ST even :/)

I guess thats a flaw in the idea that the recent version overweights all previous versions..

Perhaps it shoudl be a weighted average by version..

Or perhaps it shoudl be a true average of all versions? But then when it didn't work on a prior version.... hmm....

I wonder if weighted woudl be best? Or display the average of all, and the average of most recent version, so you can see both?

We need a statistician :)

jeff

Correct.. I don't think we can do anything about people mis-reporting it..just because it takes too long to load, etc.... I mean.. hmm. We could give someone admin access to delete mis-reports.. but can we say time-consuming? Let me see what I can do about adding a couple more percentages. :p .. I don't want to break anything currently.. (math sucks. hehe.)

I have debated whether to show the latest version filled out... or show the version w/ the best score... tough case.. Anyway its the most recent version currently.

Also Jeff.. Go to the site now and click on the Printer Friendly link on the left. :D

Back