Java Now "fully Open Source"

Chip

[Insert Custom Title Here]
Website
chipandre.com
Sun announced it's intentions to open up JAVA and make it fully GPL compliant two years ago, but it took until just now for the project to be completed. The IcedTea project (RedHat x86) is the first to compile a fully JAVA compliant OpenJDK binary using entirely free software. Other systems are sure to follow. More technical details here.

Hopefully this will lead to a JVM and browser integration for the Pandora.

This has been known for a while and openjdk works nicely on arm (I've tried it on a kurobox).

Chip said:
It should... All one has to do is make the plugin for ARM instead of just x86- which should make quite a few different Linux platforms quite happy. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
JakeK said:
So what can we use JAVA for? (Yes, a noobie question)
Java on websites.
This basically expands the compatabillity of Pandora's eventual web browsing features.

Java can be used for many things! It's probably more suited to people wanting to develop network based systems, that are portable across many different platforms. It's a little slow to be used for things like games and emulators, but for general applications it's great and pretty easy to use.

I've got an idea for a java based project that I've been looking into for the past couple of days, and coincidentally I made a thread asking about stuff a couple of days ago in off-topic (which everyone ignored :'() related to it. Expect to hear more news about my idea if it takes off the ground :p

Now to see whether I get my hands on a beagle board or a pandora first....

Droid Assault is all Java and it is one AWESOME game. Music, controls etc. From the start I was laughing my butt off at how easy/fun it is to play but then was quickly hooked into getting my droid as powered up as possible without shooting my other captured droids. This is would be awesome on the Pandora with its dual analog sticks. I'm very happy there is interest in Java in here. :D

JakeK said:
Since Java is cross-platform (or 95% of it is) anything written for the desktop should be playable on the Pandora without any/much porting, as long as the specs aren't too high.

Besides Java being my biggest language, it's also very popular for many web games, such as Runescape (ick), and a few other MMORPGs I can't think of right now. Edit: (Forgot to say) that's why I would be thrilled to see it available on the Pandora. :)

Java makes for almost any type of user space application programming really, really easy. It has a massive library base, swing gui, big tool chest, ide's this is a huge thing. At minimum some really nice widgets if implemented. There was a whole X like desktop in it, jd4x, wonder what happened with that. There's a JOGL opengl for it too.

javaJake said:
JakeK said:
Since Java is cross-platform (or 95% of it is) anything written for the desktop should be playable on the Pandora without any/much porting, as long as the specs aren't too high.

Besides Java being my biggest language, it's also very popular for many web games, such as Runescape (ick), and a few other MMORPGs I can't think of right now. Edit: (Forgot to say) that's why I would be thrilled to see it available on the Pandora. :)

One thing a lot of java application programmers do is waste like there's no tomorrow, they are writing for 4gb 2 core flat model land. 128mb with no or slow swap does not make for very a big party.

What you can do with java? I took the text from my 1985 bbs door game, converted it to xml, bit of gimp magic, subclassed the httpserver object so it'd load the xml up and translate to game objects, wrote a 30 line servlet to take the name=value pairs from a browser and send them in pipe delimited command form to this httpserver, that now adjusts the game objects and returns an xml document that the servet slaps an xslt stylesheet on that produces an ajax enabled browser page, not hard, you too can become a java master.
I'll leave it up for the weekend or until the tiny server crashes. The story is your plane has crashed on a savage and hostile rock and need to befriend a chimp, find the amulet of the elephant, and make it to the lost city in one piece, the chimp neeeds maintenance, horrible disease and suffering, basically you start out dying and it gets worse or you become king of the jungle by combining the stuff you find and beating down the other contenders. It is only the interface, the device combinations, inner little javascript games like the mango trees and snake pits etc, much much left to be done. Maybe I should add you click on the points of the compass to move.

ed. by tiny I mean it's an embedded fanless via eden.

Icedtea as problems with like saving buffers and caches; for example Runescape cannot save it's caches correctly

Kloplop321 said:
Icedtea as problems with like saving buffers and caches; for example Runescape cannot save it's caches correctly
I'd think redhat, since they have so much invested in jboss, paid off their lawsuits and all, would be right on that and be fixing it. The idea of their own entire stack must give someone over there major wood.

yeah, and the fonts are slightly unusual at rendering as well. But anyway, It came with like a proprietary drivers pack in linux for me, which I replaced later on.

I use java for scripting stuff. The first language I learned was javascript, and I found php/perl were a bigger jump than Java was, so now I just use full java cmdline/GUI apps for scriptable tasks.

If the Pandora got Java, I'd be really really happy. :D

Chip said:
There is already an open source Java Solution for Linux based embedded devices. Look at Jalimo. At the moment packages for the Maemo and Openmoko platform exist.

Back