Japanese developer going GP32 exclusive...

Nutzo

"First of all, someone has been releasing rom/hacked imaged of commercial GP32 games around the net. This is really quite terrible, Gamepark cannot take a hit like this. I will support GP32 anti-piracy agendas in any way I can.

Some good news from GP32 Notebook: Japanese doujin developer Tailzone (most known for his work with the GBA) has switched over to near exclusive development for GP32! He's also proposing a coding competition for GP32 in Japan. This is great news for doujin fans!! Another news bit - the new version of Tomak is selling to retail now, in a new box. Not on JoyGP yet though!"

Visit http://www.insertcredit.com for the full story with related links.

That's the problem with games, because it's just data, people find ways to dump the images and put it up online for download, illegally of course. We all know about the Flash cards for GBA, but it's not impacting Nintendo very hard because most of their users still buy the real version. However, with the small user base that the GP32 has, this could severely impact the company. The fact that most people buy the GP32 for its emulation powers makes things even worse because they'll know which sites to go to for ROMs and whatnot. For those of you reading this post, please don't download illegal GP32 ROMs, show your support for this wonderful handheld powerhouse by buying the official version of the games. Remember, each illegal ROM you download is taking money out of their pockets, and once that money goes away, so does the console itself.

Absolutely.

There's no reason to pirate GP32 games. They're very inexpensive, especially using JoyGP, there's very few of them, and they're made by small independent companies mostly. Unlike Nintendo, you really do hurt people if you pirate GP32 stuff. The GBA isn't gonna fail because some people use flash cards, but the GP32... different story.

Also, there's nothing "cool" about cracking GP32 software. I doubt a single person would be impressed by it. It's so easy to access everything on GP32, you've got everything right in the box. It's just not "l33t" in any way.

The bigger problem for Gamepark is that, unlike Nintendo, you don't need extra materials to pirate a game. Nintendo isn't hurt badly by flash cards because a lot of people don't even know about them, and not everyone who does buys one. When you have a GP32, you already have all you need to begin pirating games... thats why the encryption is there to begin with.

So, in addition to supporting the GP32, you are supporting the future possibility of games being widely available for download at cheaper prices than retail! If the GP32 becomes a pirate haven, other companies won't even bother trying.

So let me get this straight, right now we have two categories of software:

A] Emulators, which no one makes any money off of, and

B] Commercial software, all of which has been cracked so far.

Yeah, that doesn't look good.

Well, that was expected tho. Nobody ever thought GP32 games wouldn't be cracked. There's always someone out there to do such things.

What really counts are how many GP32 users do the right thing. I know I am, having bought a few boxed games and a bunch of JoyGP stuff today. I'm a good net hunter, and I bet I could find those cracked games if I really wanted to. But I don't want to, because it would be stupid - I love the GP32 and want Game Park to do well, not go bankrupt.

I bet most Gp32 users are very savvy in general about emulation and other... stuff. I can only hope a large enough percentage feels the way most of us seem to feel here. Support GP32 and buy software for it! Cripes, it's not even expensive!

there's nothing "cool" about cracking GP32 software. I doubt a single person would be impressed by it. It's so easy to access everything on GP32, you've got everything right in the box. It's just not "l33t" in any way.

Definately not. Porting Linux to the gp32 with X and everything would be "l33t", but it would never fit into 128 megs... anyway :unsure:

Totally agreed.

It would be a different matter if gamepark were a huge conglomerate charging £80 a game, but for the sake af a fiver a game, its worth buying a game just to support the system. As it stands, the more games bought, the more games produced, which can't be bad.

I think most consumers (meaning non-community users) don´t care about the price or company. There motto is:free is better then paying. So there will always be a ´market´ voor copies. This also mean that the more widely spread the console get (european launch?) the more pirated copies you will find going around.

I also think there is a downside to the JoyGP way. When you buy a game at the store you will get something more then when you buy a copy. You will get a box, manual, original printer card/cd which you don´t get with your copy. When downloading from JoyGP most consumers will feel there is no difference with a Kazaa download, except for the kazaa download being free.

Third I think to the public the GP32 may feel like a ´pirate´ console. You can listen to your (illegally) downloaded MP3s, whatch your (illegally) downloaded movies and play your (illegally) downloaded ROMS on your (legal?) emulator, three things any GP32 would do. So why would they not play (illegally) downloaded GP32 games?

I fear that pircay will only become bigger on the GP32.

Great news about Tailzone, though I have no idea what they/he has done before, anyone care to brief me?

to stop people downlaoding the cracked games you could make a text file with a warning in the name saying something like warning cracked gp32 games have been known to damage firmware or something like that

Nah, Linux would -easily- fit into 128mb. Versions of it fit into a floppy. The kernel image isn't that big, standard tools are small ... but you can't help thinking what's the point?

to look uber 1337 :p
also it shows that GP32 is better than GBA...like we didn't know that already

Back