Release Jagged Alliance 2

quartercast

Jagged Alliance 2 is one of my favourite turn-based strategy games, in fact one of my fave's of all time :)

Thanks to the devs, beta testers and donators who helped me port this.

Download Jagged Alliance 2 Release 1

Screenshots:

pic2sm.jpg
pic1ji.jpg

Gameplay changes since beta 3:

• Quickload (Alt-L) is now enabled during enemy turns.

• Press SHIFT to skip through militia turns (useful for stealing guns from dying enemies)

Other improvements since beta 3:

• Easy "data" folder importing. Simply drop your JA2 "data" folder into appdata/ja2strac-qcast/ (more info below)

• Icon, preview images and readme added.

Installation instructions:

You will need the original datafiles from a windows install or linux JA2 CDs.

IMPORTANT: These files must all be in _lowercase_, including the folder name itself, i.e. "data" not "Data" and "maps.slf" not "Maps.slf".

A first-time installation is configured as follows:

1. Run PND once.

2. Copy your JA2 datafiles "data" folder to appdata/ja2strac-qcast/

3. Run PND again, the game should load

Enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to run but the only thing I got is a black screen that closes itself after 1 second.

I have all my data files (including the folders and the .slf files) in lower case into appdata/ja2strac-qcast/

I got the game from GoG BTW.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for this port.

I tried to run but the only thing I got is a black screen that closes itself after 1 second.

I have all my data files (including the folders and the .slf files) in lower case into appdata/ja2strac-qcast/

I got the game from GoG BTW.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks for this port.
have you tried running it more than once? The first post seems to suggest that the first time it is run it needs to do some sort of setup.

This may be the first game I install when I get my unit. I've got CDs for both the Linux and Windows releases, but haven't played it in awhile.

I think I'm trying to install a different version of the game (Jagged Alliance 2 - Unfinished Business), I believe that is the error. My bad.

Thanks guys, and welcome :)

Anyone tried out the Skip Milita feature (press SHIFT during militia turns) yet? Must admit I haven't tried it yet, my el cheapo SD decided to cark it last week and I forgot to backup my savegame :)

Many thanks for this, one question though.. any way to zoom in?, i can't really see anything clearly enough to click on (didn't think my eyes were that bad)

Yeah, hold it closer to your eyes :) Unfortunately there isn't a zoom feature. It seems SDL has a zoom function maybe notaz or another coder knows how feasible it'd be to implement a zoom/scroll feature.

Never played this before today and it looks very nice indeed. Congrats quartercast :)

Runs well at stock speed with no glitches. The game itself occupies the full screen but the status area at the bottom is about 4/5ths of the screen. Not a problem really.

Looks like a time sink.

Thanks for this :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I need help :(

It just does not work. When I start the pnd, screen goes black and returns to the menu after about a second. No error, no log-entry. I cannot find the fault myself. I guess it's something with the data-files, so here is what I did, maybe you spot the error:

* Installed JA2 (from CD) on Windows 7

* Renamed everything in data & subfolders to lowercase

* Started JA2 on Pandora -> folders are created

* Copied data to ./appdata/ja2-../ -> does not work

* Copied data to ./appdata/ja2-../.ja.. (the hidden subfolder, where the pnd creates an empty datafolder) -> does not work

I don't know the exact name of the folder as I don't have it right here...but I used the standard-folder JA2 creates.

The Windows-Install seems to be ok, as I can just start it and play without any issue.

You don't need to rename everything lowercase anymore, that was in an older version of the port. I didn't have to.

Are you using English datafiles?

This might be an issue. I'll recheck. Meanwhile I managed to try the Windows-Stracciatella but had the same issue, this time with an error, but it seems to be the standard-error, when no datafiles are found. The error stayed the same either with or without a data-folder...forgot the content of the message.

What I managed to archieve however with reinstalling, recopying and redoing everything is: Now I get a short picture with "Saving" in yellow with a border before the program quits.

Also, your data folder needs to be called "data" not "Data" or "DATA".

Also, your data folder needs to be called "data" not "Data" or "DATA".

Jep. That was the case. But this time I did not rename the rest to lowercase (according to Protoman). I also tried replacing the path inside the *.ini to a different place outside the mounted pnd with no success. I guess something is different with my JA2 (No addon)

Back