It's Official: I Totally Hate Apple Now.

Jourdy288

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20014418-501465.html?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.11

CBSNews said:
"Apple is apparently ramping up its battle to prevent iPhone and iPod owners from jailbreaking their devices.

The company has applied for a patent, titled "Systems and Methods for Identifying Unauthorized Users of an Electronic Device," that covers a series of security measures to automatically protect devices from thieves and other "unauthorized users." Unauthorized users apparently applies to those who engage in jailbreaking, which allows devices to run apps not approved by the company producing the operating system--such as Apple, the main target of such bypasses.

The application, which was filed in February 2009 and published Thursday, describes measures to identify "particular activities that may indicate suspicious behavior," so that "safety measures" can be taken to restrict the device's functions. Those activities include the "hacking, jailbreaking, unlocking, or removal of a SIM card," according to the application. Apple also intends to send warnings to owners via e-mail or text message when such activity is detected.

The application also describes a variety of measures that could be used to help identify the unauthorized user, including the activation of a camera that could capture and geotag the device's surroundings, and perhaps current user, and transmit that information to a remote device:

In some embodiments, an unauthorized user can be detected by comparing the identity of the current user to the identities of authorized users of the electronic device. For example, a photograph of the current user can be taken, a recording of the current user's voice can be recorded, the heartbeat of the current user can be recorded, or any combination of the above. The photograph, recording, or heartbeat can be compared, respectively, to a photograph, recording, or heartbeat of authorized users of the electronic device to determine whether they match. If they do not match, the current user can be detected as an unauthorized user.

When unauthorized use has been detected, "access to particular applications can be restricted, access to sensitive information can be restricted, sensitive information can be erased from the electronic device...," the application states, effectively wiping and bricking the device."

I now totally hate Apple. I'm tempted to send them a crate full of half digested fruit.
Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont hate apple, but their way they support their devices doesnt meet my needs as a consumer. Although i can live with a standard cell phone with no data plan.

Jourdy288 said:
Comments?
Someone on Slashdot said it would be used for stolen devices, not for general stalking. I don't think anybody would accept it if Apple starting doing this on everyone's devices for no good reason. It would be silly.

Wasn't it recently deemed that jailbreaking was legal in the US? They filed back at the start of 2009, but it may be worthless to them in this regard now.

They must be pretty confident to stay alive. I have my doubts when looking at Android's momentum, right now.

WizardStan said:
Wasn't it recently deemed that jailbreaking was legal in the US? They filed back at the start of 2009, but it may be worthless to them in this regard now.
And that's what really angers me, if it's legal, they can't take that away!

It actually doesn't say that Apple would take a jailbreaker to court. Just that they would brick the device. You could probably protest it by claiming that the iPhone is your property and that Apple willfully damaged it. But if that became an issue, I imagine Apple would structure some agreement that they never lose ownership over the phone. Kind of like proprietary software.

Anyway, this seems to fit with Apple's strategy (or at least my understanding of it).

Well i wouldn't go as far as to say I hate apple, I own a mac mini 2010 unibody model and love it. Although this news makes me kind of glad I did not wait to buy an ipod touch 4 because this would have rendered it useless for me (I would buy it almost only for the jailbreak). Apple in all fairness should not really go that far as most people jailbreak for themes and emulators maybe, but apple know some people use it to get free apps, music, movies and other things, and they don't want this kind of thing associated with their device. I think apple should just meet the jail breaking community half way and let people who install themes and other little things carry on the way they are. And then stop the people who abuse the jailbreak, by using it to download illegal content.

Also I was about to post about how i got my caanoo pre-ordered, but my xbox 360 literally just got the e-74 error and the rrod. And yes i have tried to fix it, it already had new thermal paste, new fans and probably most of the things you can think of, apart from the x-clamp fix. But to be honest the amount of times i have had to revive my 360 it is just not worth it. So sadly i had to ring my Dad and tell him to cancel my caanoo pre-order (It was going to be for my birthday), and he is going to cancel it first thing in the morning. So instead of that i will be getting the new xbox 360 250gb. As to my knowledge it hasn't had any problems yet (correct me if i'm wrong) and hopefully will last me longer than my original 360 did (It's an elite and lasted for 2 years and 8 months)

EDIT: Sorry i kinda went off on a bit of a tangent there, meh oh well...

Jourdy288 said:
WizardStan said:

And if their "license agreement", so to speak, states that by using the phone you agree not to Jailbreak... what exactly is stopping them from preventing you from using the device which you promised not to hack?

D.

Dunny said:
And if their "license agreement", so to speak, states that by using the phone you agree not to Jailbreak... what exactly is stopping them from preventing you from using the device which you promised not to hack?
I'm pretty sure that's what the recent decision means, that Apple can't enforce such an agreement. They can put anything they want into an agreement, but even if you sign it there are certain things that you can't be held to.

Dunny said:
Jourdy288 said:
WizardStan said:

D.

to me if you have to even start asking those questions why even bother with the company and their product.

Pickle said:
Dunny said:
Jourdy288 said:
WizardStan said:

to me if you have to even start asking those questions why even bother with the company and their product.

Indeed. The Mrs has an iPod, I have a Sansa - and I bought that after I'd seen what the apple product was like. In recent months Apple has really taken over M$ in the "evil" stakes, and are no longer viable for me as a platform to support. Behaviour like this doesn't help... Mind you, just because they've applied for a patent on something doesn't mean they're going to use it - it just means that if anyone else uses it, they sue.

D.

Dunny said:
Some people said:
...stuff...

Indeed. The Mrs has an iPod, I have a Sansa - and I bought that after I'd seen what the apple product was like. In recent months Apple has really taken over M$ in the "evil" stakes, and are no longer viable for me as a platform to support. Behaviour like this doesn't help... Mind you, just because they've applied for a patent on something doesn't mean they're going to use it - it just means that if anyone else uses it, they sue.

D.

This is all just a ploy to keep Craig from implementing a similar system (on the thief end of things) after the PokeParadox incident.

I've always disliked apple - but the hate started when I saw that they were selling 2GB of DDR3 1066 for 200 dollars on their website as "Apple Certified" memory, even though you could get better spec ram from newegg for much, much cheaper.

I liked Apple back when they had OS 9, but now they're just fucking evil.

matt101 said:
Well i wouldn't go as far as to say I hate apple, I own a mac mini 2010 unibody model and love it. Although this news makes me kind of glad I did not wait to buy an ipod touch 4 because this would have rendered it useless for me (I would buy it almost only for the jailbreak). Apple in all fairness should not really go that far as most people jailbreak for themes and emulators maybe, but apple know some people use it to get free apps, music, movies and other things, and they don't want this kind of thing associated with their device. I think apple should just meet the jail breaking community half way and let people who install themes and other little things carry on the way they are. And then stop the people who abuse the jailbreak, by using it to download illegal content.

Also I was about to post about how i got my caanoo pre-ordered, but my xbox 360 literally just got the e-74 error and the rrod. And yes i have tried to fix it, it already had new thermal paste, new fans and probably most of the things you can think of, apart from the x-clamp fix. But to be honest the amount of times i have had to revive my 360 it is just not worth it. So sadly i had to ring my Dad and tell him to cancel my caanoo pre-order (It was going to be for my birthday), and he is going to cancel it first thing in the morning. So instead of that i will be getting the new xbox 360 250gb. As to my knowledge it hasn't had any problems yet (correct me if i'm wrong) and hopefully will last me longer than my original 360 did (It's an elite and lasted for 2 years and 8 months)

EDIT: Sorry i kinda went off on a bit of a tangent there, meh oh well...
1+ dude!
Wait, was your X360 out of warranty? If so, perhaps you could get it modded?

I realized something today. It's good that Apple has been awarded this patent. It means that no one besides Apple will be able to do it. Maybe that was Apple's plan all along, start patenting things that make it hard for Google, RIM, or any other mobile maker to stop you from jailbreaking their phones. Then they lose imaginary revenue because of unlocked phones, and Apple continues to reap the benefits of a closed system.

WizardStan said:
I realized something today. It's good that Apple has been awarded this patent. It means that no one besides Apple will be able to do it. Maybe that was Apple's plan all along, start patenting things that make it hard for Google, RIM, or any other mobile maker to stop you from jailbreaking their phones. Then they lose imaginary revenue because of unlocked phones, and Apple continues to reap the benefits of a closed system.
:D That's brilliant!

Jourdy288 said:
Wait, was your X360 out of warranty? If so, perhaps you could get it modded?

It was already modded with talismoon whisper max fans and it had been cleaned so it was completely free of dust. It had been working fine although rather loud with no problems at all, it just went suddenly while playing the mafia 2 demo sadly :( . It was really weird the colors went white then green and i brought up the xbox guide and that was like normal, meanwhile the game in the background was still going odd colours. I then restarted my 360 and BAM rrod and e74 error. And yes it is definetly out of warranty :(

Although now i am getting the new 360 hopefully that should clear the problems up of the previous console so i guess it's a good investment.... Still gonna save to get a pandora or caanoo though- But that'll be christmas time so yeah.... :blink:

I thought about getting an XBox, but I like to think of my consoles as something more than "disposable."

Back