It's a good time to own a Pandora

Ian J

Advanced Member
Plenty of emulators and games coming out so I just wanted to say a big thank you.

THANK YOU! to all the devs and community that are really making this the best bit of tech to own.

Ian

The universe agrees!!!!

hartley2lores.jpg

Thanks from me too, this thing is awesome, and I always hated handheld computers !!

I never thought that there might be one that could please me more than a desktop pc :wub:

Good thread timing, as I've been wanting to say something but didn't want to start a thread ^_^ I've been playing with my Raspberry Pi for about a week now. (Bear with me...) There are a number of OS images available for download, some official, some community built. Each distro is heavily stripped down, because the Pi isn't very powerful. And in some way, each one is slow, missing features, or just not yet at home on a little ARM board.

That's not a criticism of the Pi; it's just that their entire software scene is in alpha right now. Struggling with the slowness and missing features really highlights just how far the Pandora OS has come. We run XFCE without cracking a sweat. We've got a hundred little scripts built around specific Pandora tasks. It's optimised to buggery, and it doesn't stop improving. Going from the Pi to the Pandora is like going from a broken scooter to a BMW, and it's 99% down to the software.

Considering how it has come to be, the Pandora OS is truly a marvel. Notaz, ED, Skeezix, DJWillis and all who have contributed, you guys are legendary. Thank you.

I've been playing with a Pandaboard ES lately (at work) and I really, really love it. Ubuntu on this hardware is awesome.

But what has been achieved with the Pandora OS by this community is far, far more exciting! Love it, guys!

Considering how it has come to be, the Pandora OS is truly a marvel. Notaz, ED, Skeezix, DJWillis and all who have contributed, you guys are legendary. Thank you.

Couldn't agree more, when you consider the small user base of the Pandora community it's truly mind boggling what has been achieved on the software side. :)

I strongly disagree with this motion!

My Pandora lacks the essential ability to squeeze more hours into one day. Just yeasterday I was updating and downloading the latest software from 2 weeks because I was busy that weeks to try out new software, learn to convert my DVDs with HandBrake (thanks to Prometheus's easy to follow guide!), watch this movies, surf the web and so on.

Please, could someone explain to me how I can handle even more software? ;)

Great work, keep going guys! Thanks alot!

A2000 (Nick reminds me that there is a new version of UAE4All: MUST TRY)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just when you think you've seen it all, along comes something else to marvel at. For me currently it's Amiga 1200 AGA emulation and Android. What's on the horizon next. Runescape looks like it could be possible... The Pandora just gets better and better and it's all down to the great devs and fantastic community and of course Craig,ED,Michael and Fatih.

Thanks Guys!

For me, it is easier to make a PND out of some existing Free Software (e.g. like I just did with GCompris) on the Pandora itself, than it was for me in the late nineties to just install such software :)

I also love the battery life. Today I went to work with only 22% battery left, and I forgot to bring the charger. On any ordinary laptop, that would mean maybe 30 minutes of light activity left. On the Pandora, this means I still have plenty of time to make some final tweaks to the GCompris sources on the train, compile them while walking to work, create 3 large PND files (which is quite intense on the CPU and SD card), upload the PND files when I'm at work and have the network, and still have about 2h30m worth of battery life left for the way back home.

With the Pandora, I have been coding on the train, while taking a bath, on the toilet, in the queue for a coffee, and so on, basically anywhere. There just is nothing else that is _that_ portable and _that_ suitable for coding. No wonder it has such a great community! :)

Thanks to you all!

Back