It Works!

Winterkid

Website
Visit site
Used DVDx to copy out "Hot Shots: Part Deux" to AVI. The disc is Widescreen, but the black bars are part of the picture. The movie is about an hour and a half total with credits

Result: Worked, but the output is split into three .AVI files. All rather large, but was expecting that.

Used Virtual Dub to convert the first .AVI file from the movie, black bars and all. (Don't get me wrong, love widescreen, but thinking about SMC space)

Settings: Same as on the MoviePark/GPCinema walkthrough site, but I think I set the desired size a bit high for 1/3rd of the film.

Results: A working half hour of "Hot Shots: Part Deux" (one third of the movie) fitting perfectly on a 64 meg SMC with about 7 megs left over. (Buying a 128meg this week, I hope, but the price is outrageous here in Canada)

Questions:
Is there something in DVDx that makes the file split or was that some sort of accident? Is there a way to join all three? Should I?
Should I then find a way to split it into two files?
For 2 64 meg SMC's (All I have at the moment), is there a way to get a bit more quality @ 150MHz since I have a Blu+?

Winterkid posted on Mar 31 2005 at 04:57 AM said:
Questions:
Is there something in DVDx that makes the file split or was that some sort of accident?

There is probably an option to split the file at 700Mb (CD size). If you uncheck this, you should get one big file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winterkid posted on Mar 31 2005 at 01:36 PM said:
Should the whole thing in one file fit under 128 megs with those settings, after compression or will it have to be split somehow after?

I regularly get a whole film on 128mb

I use super dvd ripper 1.9 - that always splits it up too - I just rip em both seperate though!

will virtual dub not stitch em back together?

sPaCe :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Xmpeg and don't get any problems. The interface is a bit tricky to get to grips with but it works well for seamless DVD to GP32 conversion. I then use VDub to trim the last remaining MB to get it to fit into 128 ;)

(I've converted the whole of Band of Brothers this way :))

Also for the "black bars" thing use cropping in Virtual Dub to stretch out the image onto the GP32 screen. The screen is still pretty small that distortion is relatively minimal.

you can get about 2 hours of film on a 128
thats with about 160-bit compression
you can also use VD to cut out a little more of the film ( intro credits, ending credits, etc )

~Octavious

Back