Eight Bit

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
https://www.techworm.net/2019/01/1tb-sd-card-lexar-ces-2019.html/amp

1TB on an SD card... $500 though...

Remember these?
floppy.jpg

Ah, the good old 5 2/8 inch disc, a little more than 100kiB per side unformatted. Back before storage manufacturers realised they could cheap out by switching to decimal megabytes. I remember having a 1024MiB SCSI hard disc drive (presumably they thought that sounded better than 1GiB). I assume in terms of SD limits they're still using kibibytes and up because it's probably based on a binary addressing mode bit width, and I still have a labelled 2GB SD card, which I expect (untested) to have 2GiB. In this machine on the other hand I'm using a card labelled 128GB and it hasn't actually got that much on board (fdisc reports 119.1GiB, but 128GB requires 119.2Gib I reckon), but it still probably has more than an eighth of what this new card contains.

Edit: I don't remember a box of 10 5.25" discs costing all that much. I think they were about $20 for a box of 10 when I started buying them, although I wasn't an early adopter of that format. At that price though, you'd need buy just shy of a half a million of those boxes to match the size of this, which would cost you something like $2mil (although I assume you could probably get bulk buy discounts at that scale).

Last edited:
I recently bought an external SSD for work and wondered silently at the two terrabytes, the lack of moving parts, high transfer rates and cheap price in so little space
But then I remember how expensive good food is and wonder what went wrong.

This is another thread that makes me feel old.

But then I remember how expensive good food is and wonder what went wrong.
Electronics can be made in China relatively cheaply thanks to low wages, and China's movements into parts of Africa where the raw materials come from. These can then be put on slow boats (that run on oil and pump out tonnes of greenhouse gases, but that's a hidden cost presently) that take them to their western markets. You can't do that with most food. You either grow it within a thousand miles, or pay to fly it in on an aeroplane from further away, hence it tends to cost more.

not entirely right on the food front. everywhere is further away from Australia than 1600km!! most of our food comes from NZ ( back door for Chinese products) ,Italy,USA,Chile, Vietnam ,Nederlands etc. and they are all cheaper than the local Aussie grown products.

Finally. I was waiting for this since years.

I doubt the 2TB will come soon.
It took several years to go from 512GB to 1TB.

Finally. I was waiting for this since years.

I doubt the 2TB will come soon.
It took several years to go from 512GB to 1TB.

The 1TB SDXC card was actually announced in 2016. It was never put into sales channels though. Somewhere in the balance sheets it didn't make sense to make the cards until now? No idea there. From a density standpoint, 1TB SDXC cards are just as possible as 512GB microSDXC - and those exist from multiple manufacturers. There are even rumors of 1TB microSDXC cards on the horizon.

Something to note - these 1TB SDXC cards carry the "Lexar" brand. Lexar closed up shop and shuttered the doors a few years back and the brand name "Lexar" was sold. The Chinese company "Longsys" now owns the brand. I have many 'old' Lexar branded SDXC cards - they had been pretty good. I don't know what the quality is going to be on "Longsys/Lexar" cards - I hope it's good. But - I'm not going to roll the dice on $500 to be the first to find out - or to find out how their warranty replacement service works.

The 1TB SDXC card was actually announced in 2016. It was never put into sales channels though. Somewhere in the balance sheets it didn't make sense to make the cards until now? No idea there. From a density standpoint, 1TB SDXC cards are just as possible as 512GB microSDXC - and those exist from multiple manufacturers. There are even rumors of 1TB microSDXC cards on the horizon.
Rumours < annoucements < actual sales. At each stage people make predictions on yields, and work out what affect that will have on prices, and then they have to see how many each shop thinks it will sell at that price. I guess when sandisk told the shops how much they'd have to charge for those bits in 2016, they got laughed at. Luckily, processes improve over time, and now lexar think they very much can make a part that people will buy, and well, I hope they're right.

Back