Issues So Far:

ZeroK66

Still Fresh
Well, yesterday I got my grubby hands on the unit.

Having read through all the stickys etc at the time of ordering I thought I would easily be on my way to playing games etc in 30mins. :blink: :blink:

Opened up the box yesterday... stuck my charged 2400maH batts in & my Sandisk 2GB SD card, had a quick look. All very nice.

I went onto Wiki - got onto the downloads section and installed:

Emulators:
GNNeo2x
MameGP2x
Squidge SNES

All of these were installed to my FAT32 formatted SD under: Games\Emulation\ (SNES or Mame etc)

I have only tried MAME so far as I only have ROMS for this...

Mame I get an error message saying: Error: No Available Games Found - but I have 5-6 ROMS in the ROMS folder?

Games:
Duke 3D
LadyKiller
methane
OpenBor??
Quake
Super Mario

All of these were installed to my FAT32 formatted SD under: Games\

The only ones I have working are LadyKiller & Supermario which is VERY SLOW. The others I just get a blanks screen?

Help please.

Thanks,

1) now where do you have that roms folder?
2) you do have some BeatsOfRage mods in openbor folder?
3) do you have data file for quake?
4) it's allways better to look into readme ^^

Super Mario plays pretty fine. You need to overclock though. Get that overclocking utility and make a script file like described in the wiki and try to run it with 250Mhz. Super Mario will run flawlessly and fast. Ladykiller slow? That can`t be, if you are referring to the homebrew game.

kardasan posted on Sep 5 2006 at 12:54 PM said:
1) now where do you have that roms folder?
2) you do have some BeatsOfRage mods in openbor folder?
3) do you have data file for quake?

Hi Kardasan,

All the roms I have put into the "roms" folder which is in the executables folder:

EG:

\mameGP2x\mame_gp2x (Launch file)
\mameGP2x\roms (Where Roms are kept)

I guess it is possible I have downloaded incompatible roms?

Looks like to answer 2 & 3 - I need to do 4 - and read the readme :unsure: :blink: - to be honest I didnt bother with these as I assumed (The mother of all I know...) that these would work straight away.

I did however read the readme's on the emulators.

My neogeo rom I had it attempt to launch the one file I had and it said in-compatible
My Genesis emu I had working with a game I had

SNES I just get the following:

Load ROM:

/mnt/sd/roms/snes

no files

But I have put all the roms I have in the /games/emulation/squidgesnes/roms folder as per the instructions in the readme?

the "/mnt/sd/roms/snes" suggests to me it is looking in the wrong place, but I dont see how to change this.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZeroK66 posted on Sep 5 2006 at 03:13 PM said:
Looks like to answer 2 & 3 - I need to do 4 - and read the readme :unsure: :blink: - to be honest I didnt bother with these as I assumed (The mother of all I know...) that these would work straight away.
If there was no need to read them they wouldn't fucking be there :angry:. With Duke3d and Quake I always spend a lot of time putting as much detail into the readme's as possible so people can play the games without problem. I honestly don't know why I bother.

woogal posted on Sep 5 2006 at 09:20 AM said:
If there was no need to read them they wouldn't fucking be there :angry:. With Duke3d and Quake I always spend a lot of time putting as much detail into the readme's as possible so people can play the games without problem. I honestly don't know why I bother.

Some of us do really appreciate that. A good program's many useful features can be entirely overlooked without good documentation! Keep up the good work, Woogal.

ZeroK66 posted on Sep 5 2006 at 10:13 AM said:
kardasan posted on Sep 5 2006 at 12:54 PM said:
I need to do 4 - and read the readme :unsure: :blink: - to be honest I didnt bother with these as I assumed (The mother of all I know...) that these would work straight away.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

woogal posted on Sep 5 2006 at 03:20 PM said:

:huh: Pleasant. I hope I have just caught you on a bad day :blink: ! If all responses are similar to this then I guess my GP2x days will be limited :unsure: , which is sad. :(

:) You just treaded on his toes. Devs can get upset if it appears if any effort they put into a release goes to waste.
Also as a general rule you should read a readme file and make sure you haven't missed anything before making a post to a forum.

1. Always read the readme, even if it's a stand-alone app/emu/game/port/etc.
2. Grow some thicker skin, everyone here's cranky towards new users ... sort of initiation. Jerk.

;)

Yeah, don`t take it too harshly. Woogal, you did an awesome job. If it wasn`t for your port, I wouldn`t be playing quake on the gp2x, and if it wasn`t for your great readme, I would have annoyed thousands of people with stupid questions.
And ZeroK66: Watch out and pay some respect to the ones who deserve it: The people who give you free software for your entertainment!!!

:huh: Pleasant. I hope I have just caught you on a bad day :blink: ! If all responses are similar to this then I guess my GP2x days will be limited :unsure: , which is sad. :(

Woogal is right, he is a developer that puts a lot of time into porting applications then spending
even more of his free time writing documentation to help people fix problems on their own.
I think it'd piss you off, too if you spent all that time doing that, then having some kid come in
and say, "I didn't think I had to, but it still doesn't work, help me anyway." WTF?

Learn to read the readme that comes with just about everything you download.
The boards aren't for basic hand-holding information that could be found in a readme.
If you can't find the information there OR by searching these boards, THEN you can ask without being flamed.

If reading is too much to ask for, then you really won't be happy with this system, or any homebrew system for that matter and you should just sell it.

PS - you won't get any plus points for acting negative to a dev around here...

BobBorakovitz posted on Sep 5 2006 at 01:44 PM said:

Woogal is right, he is a developer that puts a lot of time into porting applications then spending
even more of his free time writing documentation to help people fix problems on their own.
I think it'd piss you off, too if you spent all that time doing that, then having some kid come in
and say, "I didn't think I had to, but it still doesn't work, help me anyway." WTF?

Learn to read the readme that comes with just about everything you download.
The boards aren't for basic hand-holding information that could be found in a readme.
If you can't find the information there OR by searching these boards, THEN you can ask without being flamed.

If reading is too much to ask for, then you really won't be happy with this system, or any homebrew system for that matter and you should just sell it.

PS - you won't get any plus points for acting negative to a dev around here...

What he said. I always give readmes at least a quick skimming, and that's when it's just an update to something I already have. When it's a whole new thing, I read the whole readme.

Seriously, there is enough info in either the readmes or already on this board (SEARCH) to get everything running. Won't you feel more satisfied working out things on your own?

Then if something really stumps you, ask, and people will be happy to help someone who has given it a good bash themselves.

For instance, if you had bothered to read the MAME readme, you will find you need 0.34 romsets, or use clrmamepro to convert yours to the suitable type.

For Neo Geo, there are *dozens* of threads in the help forum talking about how to get this working. I had some troubles myself getting the right roms (had to edit the romrc), but a little reading solved everything. Make sure you use the Rage2X frontend and things will go much smoother.

With SNES, the answer is simple. You have two options:

1) Uncheck the option "Use absolute rom path" (or whatever it's called) in the settings menu.

2) make a directory called roms/snes (lower case) on your SD card's root, and put the roms in there.

btw, I just checked and this information IS in the readme!

"Use absolute rom dir" - will use the absolute path "/roms/snes" (where "roms" is in the root of the sd card) rather than the relative path "roms" (in the same directory as the executable)

Finally, woogal has every right to be mad. He spends countless hours making a superb program, then on top of that writes a detailed readme that makes it SIMPLE to run Quake2X--you not taking the few moments to read it before whining that it doesn't work is like a slap in the face to a hardworking dev.

After you get over this initial hump, I'm sure you'll enjoy everything the GP2X and its community has to offer. Learn some new stuff, and have fun!

Well having been humbled I spent yesterday evening reading over the readme's and managed to solve most of my problems. The only one outstanding now is MAME which you have covered above - I did see the points about rom releases & how to convert - I just am not sure on how to work it, but I am planning to go through it this evening - same with the neogeo.

I am active on many forums - cars, AV, gaming etc - I have never had responses like this was all. I have replied to newbies asking the same questions before, I didnt think it was that much to ask is all. I thought the other forums about dev etc would have all the deep questions etc in and this general one was pretty open.

Now i know how this forum works and what is expected of posts I will limit what I ask till I have spent a few hours stuck.

I have utter respect for the developers who have made such ports. I thank all of you for making such great apps & taking the time to create readme's in such detail. I am sorry if my original post was rude - I meant these in light humour - saying I thought they would just work. Real reason for my post was about the Emulators, I thought I would be able to solve the ports myself, but hadnt spent much time on them but was planning to.

Anyways, my g/f has stolen the GP2x and is adicted to some of the ol' classics, I will have to try steal it from her when sleeping to work on the other bits and get it all running as I would like.

Thanks,

You say you don't get these kind of replies on any forums you frequent...

Does RTFM mean anything to you?

Don't mean to be mean, but the reason we write readmes is because the user needs to know how to work the software, and if the user doesn't know that, the software is unusable. The same thing happens when you ignore the readme.

The clue is in the name, by the way.

Back