ISO Soldering Setup in the US

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
Hello community,

I figured I'd post here to see if anyone in the US has an old but good soldering rig laying around. Need something that I can fix Pandoras with, ideally having digital or rheostat to control temperature.

I'm pretty new to buying this type of thing, so I'm open to recommendations on qualtiy units if you don't have one you want to sell.

Ideally I'm looking for something that is 2nd hand, not thrashed, just something that never got used much, or someone decided to upgrade to something nicer.

Anyone?

Link,

A station with an adjustable temperature range is definitely your best bet. However, if your unable to find one within your price range, I recommend using something that's strictly 15 watt as you're working with SMT components (surface mount, we're talking tiny stuff here :p ). Anything with a higher wattage is likely to burn up the pandora's components very quickly/easily.

Personally, I use my handy 15 watt iron for all my SMT work, along with desoldering braid and a basic handheld solder sucker (if needed), because I simply cannot afford a fancy soldering station, nor do I have room for one :p .

I will warn you, this method is definitely not for the faint of heart, and it does require A LOT of patience, but it can be done with lots of practice.

Just my 2 cents :) .

$30 gets you one with a rheostat:

http://www.circuitsp...-station1a.html

$50 gets you digital:

http://www.circuitsp...-watt-3dlf.html

I got the rheostat one for myself, and one for my maker-nerd teenage nephew, and have no complaints.

Wow, was he really just looking for something this simple? I guess I misinterpreted the original message. I thought he was looking for one of the really fancy, expensive stations. One of these is definitely within my own price range, hmmmm......

^

Thank you both for your input.

I might as well try that digital, looks like it will do what I need it to do, $20 more is worth it over the analog.

Can anyone recommend tips that would be good for working with the Pandora?

Basically only see myself soldering speaker wires, and the occassional nub replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something in this range should be just fine :) . I honestly don't remember what the exact size on this tip is (the packaging is long gone), but it's designed for SMT use. This is my own iron/tip :) . My good 'ole 15 watt modding friend :) .

I hope this helps!

soldering iron 1.JPG

soldering tip 2.JPG

soldering tip 3.JPG

I would think for nubs a bladed tip would come in handy..
Well what is used currently is a utility blade wedged under the nub, near the desoldering point during removal.

Would a bladed tip allow this to be removed without needing to use the utility blade?

The risk is removing the trace is the biggest concern, so would this help alleviate that?

I would think for nubs a bladed tip would come in handy..
Well what is used currently is a utility blade wedged under the nub, near the desoldering point during removal.

Would a bladed tip allow this to be removed without needing to use the utility blade?

The risk is removing the trace is the biggest concern, so would this help alleviate that?

It was more of an assumption on my end it would work well to desolder them.

Back