Is your hinge loose yet?

Had mine since - IIRC - March, my hinge is still day one stiff and the screen will sit in my preferred position of a little over 90 degrees even if the unit is held upside down or shaken. It probably helps that I've never opened it beyond that angle.

41400_504977646_9451_n.jpg

LOL Good old Finbar :)

"I've never opened it beyond that angle"? Not even once?

Mines still really stiff although i have never opened mine beyond little over 90 degrees, my mate done it once when i let him have a play about on it and i wasnt best pleased with him. mines also got a gay crack on the hinge but still has maintained its sturdyness.

My Pandora's "hinge" stays stiff for hours and the battery can go all night. I got no complaints at all :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
"I've never opened it beyond that angle"? Not even once?

Nope. Not once. Max ever is around 95-100 degrees. I'm getting the impression this is key to avoiding floppiness, possibly even PTOD.

It's no exaggeration, it's still as firm as day one.

Mine was nice and stiff (so long as you didn't use the touchscreen) when I got it. After about a month it developed a noticeable wobble, and then after another month it would flop open - and smack the desk with a loud CRACK! - at the slightest breeze. I sent it to ED and asked him to tighten it up... Which he has done, and it's very nice for now! There's a noticeable bulge in the seam of the hinge where the parts don't quite meet, so I assume he's stuck something in there to make it tighter.

I have to say that the "only fully closed or fully open" design is probably one of the more brain-dead I've seen from OPT - I find it unusable when fully open, and prefer it to be closer to about 130 degrees, even when lying in bed or using the touchscreen. Very poor design, but I suppose their hands were tied.

D.

Apart from that, the hinge is exactly the same as the one in the NDSi (AFAIR, you can even replace it with an NDSi one).
Wow! That is good to know. I'm looking for the first one who replace hinge with the NDSi one :)

---

EDIT: Actually - does anybody know where to get original NDSi hinge (shaft) replacement? I'm afraid about cheap copy. Thank in advance.

---

EDIT 2: I'm not familiar with Nintendo DS variations, so sorry my dumb question - Is NDSi and NDSL of the same size thus have the same hinge (shaft)? And its hinge is differ from NDS (old fat), NDSi XL and NDS 3D? Or are all those NDS(?) hinges replaceable?

i personally just use a tiny bit of paper that i slide in the hinge to "lock" it at whatever position i want to.

without it, my hinge is somewhat stiff, its able to hold if i dont shake it too hard.

But well, the paper pretty much lock it in place.

:eek: I just tried the paper thing, you sir are a genius!

I've had mine sence the end of April and mine still works like it should. Doesn't move on its own or is lose.

Apart from that, the hinge is exactly the same as the one in the NDSi (AFAIR, you can even replace it with an NDSi one).
Wow! That is good to know. I'm looking for the first one who replace hinge with the NDSi one :)

---

EDIT: Actually - does anybody know where to get original NDSi hinge (shaft) replacement? I'm afraid about cheap copy. Thank in advance.

---

EDIT 2: I'm not familiar with Nintendo DS variations, so sorry my dumb question - Is NDSi and NDSL of the same size thus have the same hinge (shaft)? And its hinge is differ from NDS (old fat), NDSi XL and NDS 3D? Or are all those NDS(?) hinges replaceable?

I can help you with that, sadly all the NDS hinges are different.

Where to get them, Ebay is a good place but you have to look for the little bit more expensive one's also you will need to get the left en right one because those are also different. the cheap one will also do the trick but most of them break within an half year.

Back